Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 trans am mod help.

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2017, 03:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 trans am mod help.

I have purchased a 2000 trans am with 29k. The vehicle came with Suncoast ram air hood customized for SLP flow pack intake (I have integrated intake that came with hood), SLP flow pack intake, SLP loud mouth exhaust, SLP y pipe, Flow master high flow cats, factory headers, bmr lowering springs, koni str shocks, bmr front and rear sway bars and bmr adjustable pan rod bar. I love the sound of exhaust and have no interest in long tube headers. It's loud enough for me. I'm planning on doing fast 92 intake manifold, fast 92 throttle body, fast fuel rail,SLP 160 therma stat, new plugs and wires with a custom grind cam package. I will be using hutter racing in chardon Ohio for tuning and cam. My questions is how much of a hp gain should I expect and how much factory headers are holding me back. I have 07 s2000 with itbs, Mugen header,Mugen test pipe and invidia exhaust. It is just too loud. I just do not want ta that loud. Any other suggestions for mods?
Old 04-30-2017, 10:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Derek Ciccero
I have purchased a 2000 trans am with 29k. The vehicle came with Suncoast ram air hood customized for SLP flow pack intake (I have integrated intake that came with hood), SLP flow pack intake, SLP loud mouth exhaust, SLP y pipe, Flow master high flow cats, factory headers, bmr lowering springs, koni str shocks, bmr front and rear sway bars and bmr adjustable pan rod bar. I love the sound of exhaust and have no interest in long tube headers. It's loud enough for me. I'm planning on doing fast 92 intake manifold, fast 92 throttle body, fast fuel rail,SLP 160 therma stat, new plugs and wires with a custom grind cam package. I will be using hutter racing in chardon Ohio for tuning and cam. My questions is how much of a hp gain should I expect and how much factory headers are holding me back. I have 07 s2000 with itbs, Mugen header,Mugen test pipe and invidia exhaust. It is just too loud. I just do not want ta that loud. Any other suggestions for mods?
You will be leaving quite a but of power on the table with the factory exhaust manifolds, guys gain 20+RWPH on stock setups with LT headers let alone a built setup. You have to understand a few things:
You currently have by far the loudest, most obnoxious catback on your car right now, a good flowing quieter catback will still make just as much power but be way more tame. Another thing to note is do not compare the exhaust volume of your S2K to your TA, totally different engines and setups, most modded higher powered 4 cylinders are completely ear bleeding obnoxious/buzzy/farty sounding and drone like crazy, an LS1 with a proper catback will not drone or be too loud.
Old 05-01-2017, 12:26 AM
On The Tree

+1 for long tubes,off-road y, and a cat-back system with a quieter muffler. I'm sure everyone on here will agree, longtubes are one of the better bolt-on modifications you can make even to a relatively stock ls engine.

I did have a question about your build; Why are you jumping straight to the FAST 92 throttle body/intake combo and fuel rail? That's a lot of bones compared to the LS6 factory intake manifold which will give you similar gains for less than half the money and I'm not sure the factory throttle body is a huge restriction for the power level of a cam only build. Also why upgrade fuel rails for a cam only build when your only real issues are your factory injectors and potentially your factory fuel pump?

Just curious.
Old 05-01-2017, 06:15 AM
Teching In

Default LS1 reply

Originally Posted by thatoneguybriz
+1 for long tubes,off-road y, and a cat-back system with a quieter muffler. I'm sure everyone on here will agree, longtubes are one of the better bolt-on modifications you can make even to a relatively stock ls engine.

I did have a question about your build; Why are you jumping straight to the FAST 92 throttle body/intake combo and fuel rail? That's a lot of bones compared to the LS6 factory intake manifold which will give you similar gains for less than half the money and I'm not sure the factory throttle body is a huge restriction for the power level of a cam only build. Also why upgrade fuel rails for a cam only build when your only real issues are your factory injectors and potentially your factory fuel pump?

Just curious.
I really like the look of the fast 92 in black with red logo, fast 92 black throttle body and fast red fuel rail. I have no problem upgrading injector's. I'm really looking to be at 400hp without headers. One day I may redo exhaust and add long tube headers and heads. But I would like to start with this get a good tune and see how she feels!
Old 05-01-2017, 06:16 AM
Teching In

Default LS1 reply

I really like the look of the fast 92 in black with red logo, fast 92 black throttle body and fast red fuel rail. I have no problem upgrading injector's. I'm really looking to be at 400hp without headers. One day I may redo exhaust and add long tube headers and heads. But I would like to start with this get a good tune and see how she feels!
Thanks for your input!!
Old 05-01-2017, 06:23 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
You will be leaving quite a but of power on the table with the factory exhaust manifolds, guys gain 20+RWPH on stock setups with LT headers let alone a built setup. You have to understand a few things:
You currently have by far the loudest, most obnoxious catback on your car right now, a good flowing quieter catback will still make just as much power but be way more tame. Another thing to note is do not compare the exhaust volume of your S2K to your TA, totally different engines and setups, most modded higher powered 4 cylinders are completely ear bleeding obnoxious/buzzy/farty sounding and drone like crazy, an LS1 with a proper catback will not drone or be too loud.
Thanks for your input. If I'm at 400hp without Long tube headers, I'm ok with that for now. I may redo exhaust, headers,y-pipe and heads later when funds are available. But I honestly love the sound of my exhaust now and most likely will not do headers. With the 1.25 inch drop I do not want to scrap either.
Old 05-01-2017, 03:00 PM
On The Tree

Sounds like you have a plan. Since there aren't many guys doing a build exactly like this (i.e. a cam only build specifically around stock manifolds) may I suggest putting as much information on here as possible as you acquire knowledge about what works and what doesn't? It would be a contribution I think people would be interested to read about.

Cheers.
Old 05-01-2017, 06:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks for your input. If I'm at 400hp without Long tube headers, I'm ok with that for now. I may redo exhaust, headers,y-pipe and heads later when funds are available. But I honestly love the sound of my exhaust now and most likely will not do headers. With the 1.25 inch drop I do not want to scrap either.
Stock exhaust manifolds are really gonna bottle-neck your setup.
Either way your car will sounds drastically different with an aftermarket cam, especially a cam big enough to get you to 400rwhp with stock exhaust manifolds. Basically no matter what you do (with the exception of N20) your car is going to sound different than it does now.
Also not all headers create ground clearance problems, some tuck up really nice. Im using stainless works LT headers and their Y-pipe and it tucks the Y-pipe up better than stock, and the headers do not hang any lower than the body so there is no clearance problems at all (im also lowered 1.25in).
Old 05-01-2017, 07:33 PM
Teching In

Default Reply

Originally Posted by thatoneguybriz
Sounds like you have a plan. Since there aren't many guys doing a build exactly like this (i.e. a cam only build specifically around stock manifolds) may I suggest putting as much information on here as possible as you acquire knowledge about what works and what doesn't? It would be a contribution I think people would be interested to read about.

Cheers.
Thanks for the reply. I will post dyno numbers once it's complete.
Old 05-01-2017, 07:36 PM
Teching In

Default Reply

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Stock exhaust manifolds are really gonna bottle-neck your setup.
Either way your car will sounds drastically different with an aftermarket cam, especially a cam big enough to get you to 400rwhp with stock exhaust manifolds. Basically no matter what you do (with the exception of N20) your car is going to sound different than it does now.
Also not all headers create ground clearance problems, some tuck up really nice. Im using stainless works LT headers and their Y-pipe and it tucks the Y-pipe up better than stock, and the headers do not hang any lower than the body so there is no clearance problems at all (im also lowered 1.25in).
​​​​​
Thanks for the reply. I will consider lt setup after everything is installed and tuned.
Old 05-03-2017, 07:34 PM
Teching In

Default Cam sound clips.

​​​​​
Thanks for the reply. I will consider lt setup after everything is installed and tuned.
​​​​​
After listening to numerous sound clips of different cams. I no longer have an interest in doing a cam. Now I'm torn between the fast 92 vs 102. I have SLP tower bar and do not want to remove it. I heard the 102 does not fit as well as 92. Is this correct info. Tuner told me 102 may rub on tower bar and 92 fits like factory.
Old 05-04-2017, 06:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

​​​​​
After listening to numerous sound clips of different cams. I no longer have an interest in doing a cam. Now I'm torn between the fast 92 vs 102. I have SLP tower bar and do not want to remove it. I heard the 102 does not fit as well as 92. Is this correct info. Tuner told me 102 may rub on tower bar and 92 fits like factory.
They were probably all seemed to loud for you huh?
I gotta remind you that exhaust setups makes all the difference in the world here. So if you were listening to cars with a big cam, LT headers ORY and SLP loudmouth then you were listening to basically the extreme end of the spectrum. You can get a smallish cam and quiet exhaust and still be relatively quiet.
Heres a small cam with your exhaust setup:
A different catback would be even more quiet than that. This kind of stuff is hard to find though as almost no one wants to keep the stock exhaust manifolds, especially if they are looking to make power.

This shows you the direct difference between a quiet muffler and an open exhaust here with LTs and a catted Y-pipe:

Quick Reply: 2000 trans am mod help.