Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

upgrading to a CAI, does it screw with mixture

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 12:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default upgrading to a CAI, does it screw with mixture

I am upgrading to a Volant cold air intake from the little stock one. Will this mess with the air/fuel mix to the point of throwing error codes? Is it something to adjust for?
Old 07-13-2017, 03:16 PM
TECH Regular

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

No, as the MAF sensor will account for any added air you feed into the engine.
Old 07-14-2017, 07:58 AM
Teching In

Thank You, now I won't hesitate to pull the trigger and get it.
Old 08-17-2017, 10:33 AM
Teching In

no all monitored and regulated by computer.. actually when you first do it car feels insanly quick and repsonsive and then over time computer gets use to it..and so do you..lol
Old 08-17-2017, 02:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by carguy2012
no all monitored and regulated by computer.. actually when you first do it car feels insanly quick and repsonsive and then over time computer gets use to it..and so do you..lol
I think if you get it tuned for it, though, it works better for you.
Old 08-17-2017, 03:45 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,794 Likes on 1,278 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

The car will not feel insanely quick from a simple cold air kit, unless said "cold air kit" is N2O.

Tuning would show little to no improvement for such a basic modification on an otherwise stock car.
Old 08-17-2017, 08:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
The car will not feel insanely quick from a simple cold air kit, unless said "cold air kit" is N2O.

Tuning would show little to no improvement for such a basic modification on an otherwise stock car.
Doesn't tuning improve a completely stock car? I don't see how improving airflow would hurt with the car being tuned in general.
Old 08-17-2017, 08:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I think what RPM is saying is that tuning for the CAI specifically will show little improvement. Of course a tune on its own will be worth it. That's how I'm interpreting it at least
Old 08-17-2017, 11:05 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 216 Likes on 182 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by SouthernRex
Doesn't tuning improve a completely stock car? I don't see how improving airflow would hurt with the car being tuned in general.
The question is, what do you mean by "tuning"? What would you "tune" on a stock car? Regarding "airflow", the only thing you can really tune is to insure that your actual AFR matches commanded, which means basically having your MAF and VE tables dialed in. And you can work your PE to make sure your WOT AFR is where you want it. But having a CAI makes no difference to any of that, because your MAF and IAT measure aiflow and temp and the PCM then calculates fueling.
Old 08-17-2017, 11:25 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
I think what RPM is saying is that tuning for the CAI specifically will show little improvement.
Exactly correct. This is not a modification that will benefit from a specific custom tune/retune for it alone.
Old 08-18-2017, 04:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RevGTO
The question is, what do you mean by "tuning"? What would you "tune" on a stock car? Regarding "airflow", the only thing you can really tune is to insure that your actual AFR matches commanded, which means basically having your MAF and VE tables dialed in. And you can work your PE to make sure your WOT AFR is where you want it. But having a CAI makes no difference to any of that, because your MAF and IAT measure aiflow and temp and the PCM then calculates fueling.
Are there ANY cars that benefit from retuning after CAI? Like the airflow is too much to throw off AFR or that timing can benefit from increased airflow? And I mean proper CAI with shorter tube and sealed box etc.
Old 08-18-2017, 08:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Because I know when my buddy put a CAI on his Grand Prix (3800 Gen III) it ran like garbage until he got it tuned.
Old 08-18-2017, 12:36 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

In terms of a naturally aspirated setup, there really isn't anything you can do in front of the MAF for which the MAF and IAT sensors can't compensate. A cold air kit/air lid/ram air kit or any other sort of changes to the air box or inlet ducting is not a macro modification which requires any sort of hard tuning changes to offer maximum benefits.

Now, if said kit causes the location of certain sensors to be moved (such as the IAT), and/or also creates changes to the MAF sensor (such as different ends or something like this) or areas behind the sensor, then some tuning adjustments might be needed to compensate/correct for such. Beyond any of that, if a car runs like garbage on the stock tune after a CAI swap then there is some other issue. This would be akin to installing a catback exhaust and then having the car run like garbage on the stock tune - that just doesn't happen because the change was made well behind the O2 sensors. Things like a catback and cold air/airbox kit don't need a specific tune, nor will you see any significant gain if retuning specifically (and only) for such, notwithstanding any optimization of the stock tune which may or may not have already been done.

No idea what happened with your friend's GP, but I'm not sure what you mean by a "shorter tube". Often, a CAI includes a *longer* tube to reach further from the engine compartment for a cold air source - but that tube is in front of the filter and well in front of the MAF. Did he make any changes to the MAF or MAF placement as part of the kit, and/or possibly contaminate the sensor during install? Did he use an oiled air filter such as a K&N?

Personally, I've never known anyone who needed a specific retune to get the car running right again after any sort of air box/air ducting replacement, and/or to see maximum benefit from such.
Old 08-18-2017, 12:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 357 Likes on 248 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Imo the only thing that would be worth a tune on a stock car would be if you were a automatic. It really does wonders on a automatic with the amount of Torque management in these things.
Old 08-18-2017, 01:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think I meant smoother not shorter, (although I have seen some SHORT CAI set ups) but yes it had a K&N oiled filter at the end. He didn't re-oil it himself, but would the factory oiling potentially have contaminated the MAF? Also, yeah I'm pretty sure the IAT was moved. The MAF wasn't touched I don't think. This was 8 years ago, so I'm going on memory here.
Old 08-18-2017, 05:17 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SouthernRex
Because I know when my buddy put a CAI on his Grand Prix (3800 Gen III) it ran like garbage until he got it tuned.
Really? When I added my CAI on my 99 v6 camaro its sounded amazing from the engine it had the Y87 performance package and was super responsive. Over time though either I got use to it or the computer level things out. Best thing I did for the car. Mine was V6 3800 series II engine though with KN Filter too.

Quick Reply: upgrading to a CAI, does it screw with mixture