New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How Fast is an rx7

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2004 | 01:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Lightbulb

P.S. That 188 MPH was down a slight grade, FWIW. That's why I said that 180 is no problem. It'll do that on flat ground. So let's call it a 15 MPH increase over stock. Remember, it has roughly 45% more power than stock.
Old 07-05-2004 | 01:22 AM
On The Tree

If this dude has only had the car for a couple days, I'd say run him. I've seen quite a few around me that are modded really poorly and quite a few that were riced out. I also know a few that are fast as hell but they don't look it. If that 10k went into the motor instead of bodywork, he would be able to race you from any speed on any course and destroy you b/c they are monsters when set up. They just aren't reliable at all-I know several people who have them and they break down like crazy. One of my friend's RX7s has been down since december b/c it won't idle (he thinks it's b/c a mouse chewed up some wires on the harness though, so it might not be car specific if that ends up being the actual problem). But when that car runs, it hauls- turbo timer, exhaust, ect ect. Pretty sure it would beat me most of the time but mine runs more often
Old 07-05-2004 | 01:26 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Colonel
"because the '93-'95 RX7's topped out at 158 with the manuals."

Sounds like magazine info to me. Stock RX7s had no problem with 165. I should know, I've had two of them.

your speedo is terribly off. 165mph my ***. that car doesnt have the horsepower to hit 165 stock. it only has 255.
Old 07-05-2004 | 01:28 AM
On The Tree

P.S. That 188 MPH was down a slight grade, FWIW. That's why I said that 180 is no problem. It'll do that on flat ground. So let's call it a 15 MPH increase over stock. Remember, it has roughly 45% more power than stock.

so by you putting on a boost controller, exhaust and blah blah MINIMAL MODS, you got 114rwhp gains? im definately going to have to call bs on that. my friend has a FULL BOLT ON STREET PORT MOTOR and can barely put down 350 to the wheels on stock turbos. you may want to have your speedo corrected.

oh, and you are aware that a stock z06 will only hit 178 right? you can not beat a z06...

if you had a 600hp single t78 or something, i would believe you. but not with a boost controller and exhaust. IT WILL NOT HAPPEN.
Old 07-05-2004 | 01:30 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by rdavis93
If this dude has only had the car for a couple days, I'd say run him. I've seen quite a few around me that are modded really poorly and quite a few that were riced out. I also know a few that are fast as hell but they don't look it. If that 10k went into the motor instead of bodywork, he would be able to race you from any speed on any course and destroy you b/c they are monsters when set up. They just aren't reliable at all-I know several people who have them and they break down like crazy. One of my friend's RX7s has been down since december b/c it won't idle (he thinks it's b/c a mouse chewed up some wires on the harness though, so it might not be car specific if that ends up being the actual problem). But when that car runs, it hauls- turbo timer, exhaust, ect ect. Pretty sure it would beat me most of the time but mine runs more often

turbo timer does nothing to increase performance.
Old 07-05-2004 | 01:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Strokedmti422, read again what I said. I said the car has 45% more HP than it did stock, didn't I? I made NO mention of RWHP. Let's see...255 HP stock and roughly 370 HP after mods. Gee, let's see...well looky here, that's exactly 45%!

IF the stock speedo is way far off in both RX7s I've owned, that's not my fault. Write Mazda a letter.
Old 07-05-2004 | 01:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Just to throw one more consideration out there. Weather. 255 HP can turn to 300 HP with the right density altitude. That gets a little outside of your average magazine racing but it's a REAL factor in the real world. Just something to think about before you go calling BS. I used to have people calling BS back when I was running 11.56 NA with an internally stock LS1 back in '99. Nowadays, it's not so uncommon. Just gotta have the right launch, the right weight....and the right weather.
Old 07-05-2004 | 02:22 AM
On The Tree

he has a bunch of turbo stuff and i'm not well versed with turbos b/c I really don't like them or care about them b/c I don't think they are fun to drive. I can tell you for sure he has a turbo timer and BOOST CONTROLLER which I forgot about plus a million other things everywhere in the car. They are ROTARY engines so a lot of what we take for granted with V8s goes out the window. They seem to put down big HP numbers with relatively minor mods. btw-this friend's car is a single turbo 2nd gen. I personally hate these cars and engines but they are fast.
Old 07-05-2004 | 02:47 AM
On The Tree

Just to throw one more consideration out there. Weather. 255 HP can turn to 300 HP with the right density altitude. That gets a little outside of your average magazine racing but it's a REAL factor in the real world. Just something to think about before you go calling BS. I used to have people calling BS back when I was running 11.56 NA with an internally stock LS1 back in '99. Nowadays, it's not so uncommon. Just gotta have the right launch, the right weight....and the right weather.

launching has nothing to do with your inane comments about hitting 188mph

and even with 350 hp, you wont hit 188 mph. there just isnt enough hp to keep pushing you at those speeds.

you do realize that you are nearing the top speed for the FORD GT, a car designed for that kind of aerodynamics. this car also has WAY more power then your measly rx7. im not flaming you at all, but i do not believe there is a chance in HELL you could hit a radar reflected 188mph. speedo's are known to be inaccurate at those speeds.
Old 07-05-2004 | 10:25 AM
11 Second Club

gps is accurate
Old 07-05-2004 | 10:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

stroked, once again you've misread my reply. I'm quite sure you're you're not illiterate enough to have misread my replys TWICE now (you had me saying 114 RWHP gain earlier) so I'm left to think that you are just trying to get under my skin. I didn't say that launching had anything to do with hitting 188 MPH on the speedo. That comment was in reference to running 11.56 internally stock back in '99.

And again, if the speedo is wrong in both of my RX7s then Mazda sends their appologies. In my experience, almost all factory speedos are off a bit. 0-2% according to the onces I've checked with my GPS. So I am agreeing with you to a point, the speedo might be off a little. Off by how much? No more than 2% I should think. I never said I used a radar gun. BTW, for the 188 MPH run I had to calculate it using RPM since the speedo stops at 180.

As I said before, doubt away! Others have doubted me before. I honestly give a flyin fat rat's ***.

Last edited by Colonel; 07-05-2004 at 11:16 AM.
Old 07-05-2004 | 10:59 AM
On The Tree

I wouldn't call b.s. The rotaries are doing much more than our cars with less hp due to the much lighter weight and better aerodynamics. The FD Rx7 can be insanely quick with 370rwhp. Is 188mph possible? Yes, with 370rwhp. Don't forget that the 13b two-rotary in '93-'95 Fd's rev's high as a kite with much less energy loss than a piston engine.
Old 07-05-2004 | 11:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Talking

Ok, time for some ownage!

Here's a little calculator for ya Mrs. Doubtfire.

Now remember, I said the 188 was DOWN HILL. I know you're prone to overlooking what I really said so keep that in mind. I said that it would do 180 on flat ground. Remember again that I said a ~45% increase of HP. 255 x 1.45 = 370

Ok, preface over with. Check this out....

http://www.rx7turboturbo.com/robrobinette/top_speed.htm

If you'll simply enter in 370 HP into the "New Horsepower" box you'll see that the top speed would be 179 MPH. Seems pretty damn close to 180 MPH to me. Now, make it 20 degrees outside, low humidity, a high barometer, and down a bit of an incline (as indicated before) and you can see how 188 MPH might be possible in my "measly RX7", no?

BTW, "not flaming you" but you seriously might wanna put down the magazine (those things are bad for the brain!), pull the Reebok out of your mouth , run down to your local library and read up on AERODYNAMICS.

Last edited by Colonel; 07-05-2004 at 11:17 AM.
Old 07-05-2004 | 12:20 PM
STF Veteran

Ok, time for some ownage!

Here's a little calculator for ya Mrs. Doubtfire.

Now remember, I said the 188 was DOWN HILL. I know you're prone to overlooking what I really said so keep that in mind. I said that it would do 180 on flat ground. Remember again that I said a ~45% increase of HP. 255 x 1.45 = 370

Ok, preface over with. Check this out....

http://www.rx7turboturbo.com/robrobinette/top_speed.htm

If you'll simply enter in 370 HP into the "New Horsepower" box you'll see that the top speed would be 179 MPH. Seems pretty damn close to 180 MPH to me. Now, make it 20 degrees outside, low humidity, a high barometer, and down a bit of an incline (as indicated before) and you can see how 188 MPH might be possible in my "measly RX7", no?

BTW, "not flaming you" but you seriously might wanna put down the magazine (those things are bad for the brain!), pull the Reebok out of your mouth , run down to your local library and read up on AERODYNAMICS.
Old 07-05-2004 | 12:37 PM
11 Second Club

http://www.rx7club.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=88955
Old 07-05-2004 | 01:15 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by strokedmti422
your speedo is terribly off. 165mph my ***. that car doesnt have the horsepower to hit 165 stock. it only has 255.
i've sat in the passenger seat of a NEAR STOCK rx-7 (had a few hardpipes) that was doing 160 smoking a cammed ls1
Old 07-05-2004 | 05:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Colonel-

You ever consider a hinson kit? I am in the process of the swap (have the shell, no motor yet) and am hoping to be in the 11s on a bone stock motor and spray a 100 shot into the 10s.
Old 07-05-2004 | 09:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

An LS1? Yeah, I've thought about it but I think I have enough Gen III projects going on for the time being. Maybe when and if the little rotary gives out.
Old 07-05-2004 | 09:33 PM
11 Second Club

how many miles do u have one it? i read somwhere they dont make it much over 80,000. No idea if its true.
Old 07-05-2004 | 09:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

From what I understand its not a if, but when. One detonation and BOOM no more apex seal.

I wouldnt know that much though, I bought a blown motor roller for 5k. Hoping to have it running for 13k or so...

Can you maybe describe the differences in driving impressions vs a camaro? Honestly, I have never driven one. All I know is that my paperweight in the hangar will move under LS1 power.