New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.3L TSP Cam

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2018, 06:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.3L TSP Cam

My wife’s 07 Tahoe (5.3L LMG motor, 125,xxx miles) was squealing from a valve cover. I suspect it’s a lifter/cam issue due to the AFM. The intake has a small screen built in for the oil and I think it’s clogged and starved the lifter for oil. Roller freed up (not squealing now, but clicking) and the cam flat spotted the roller. So my plan is to do the AFM/DOD delete, chromoly push rods, maybe upgrade the valve springs to LS6 springs, and install a 212/216 stage 2 low lift cam, all from Texas Speed and Performance (20 min drive to their building. Jealous? LOL) The reason for the cam is because we pull a 25 foot travel trailer and live in the hill country. The Tahoe hates the hills when pulling it. Should I be worried about durability with that mild of a cam? My boss (who raced dirt tracks when he was younger) said I’ll blow the motor unless I replace all the pistons, rings, crank, bearings etc. I think he’s crazy. I told him I’m not racing it at 8k RPM around a dirt track. He said put all stock parts back in it. Why? So the AFM does this again and I have to pull it apart when it does it again? I don’t think that mild of a cam is really going to cause any issues. It’s been well taken care of and we have never had any issues with it. I’m just looking to gain a little more torque and HP to help it pull better. Everything is BONE STOCK. Won’t be putting headers on it because it’s my wife’s. Will consider a mild exhaust (Magnaflow, Borla?) and better air intake system in the future so it breaths better. Should I be worried? Or am I crazy? You guys are the LS experts. I’m not a motor builder but I’ve always fixed my own vehicles. So, I’m turning to you.
Old 05-01-2018, 07:08 PM
TECH Resident

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Take your heads with you to TSP and get them to rework them while they are off. Twin turbo guys buy junk yard 4.8/5.3's and make over 700 hp without changing anything..
Old 05-01-2018, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by cookseyb
Take your heads with you to TSP and get them to rework them while they are off. Twin turbo guys buy junk yard 4.8/5.3's and make over 700 hp without changing anything..
is this absolutely a must? TSP web site says that this cam will work with stock pushrods, valve springs and coverter. I’m only upgrading the pushrods and springs because the rods are $98 and the the springs are $68. Reworking the heads would be out of my budget and it’s my wife’s daily driver.
Old 05-02-2018, 01:06 PM
TECH Resident

That was just a suggestion about the heads, ask to visit their machine shop, it's worth the time. I didn't see any thing about budget constraints in the initial post. I think you will need new lifters also.
Old 05-02-2018, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by cookseyb
That was just a suggestion about the heads, ask to visit their machine shop, it's worth the time. I didn't see any thing about budget constraints in the initial post. I think you will need new lifters also.
Im replacing all the lifters with comp cam lifters. I was in there the other day on my way to work but didn’t have time to tour the place. I will when I go pick everything up. The place looked like a surgical room. Incredibly clean.
Old 05-04-2018, 07:30 AM
TECH Resident

It's impressive and they are all proud of the work they do...Hard to find now days.