New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam Sensor conundrum (hard start, no tach)

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2018, 08:05 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cam Sensor conundrum (hard start, no tach)

Hello, This car is killing me. It started with intermittent tach failure. I was having hot start issues ( I was in the process of tuning for a new H/C combo so I attributed it to that at first). I now have no tach at all. Here is what I have done so far:

I replaced the Cam sensor (x2)
checked/cleaned all grounds
added more grounds (temporarily)
Opened up and tested the wiring harness all the way back to the PCM for continuity
Replaced the wiring harness (used)
Replaced the PCM
Pulled the timing cover to check for mechanical issues (cam walk)
Swapped to an front Cam sensor (cam gear, extension harness ect)

I am going to replace the crank sensor and do a relearn today just because I apparently like throwing parts at this car. Since I have replaced everything I can think of I am wondering if there is some other component in this system that I am not aware of? At this point I am open to any suggestions.....
Old 05-16-2018, 09:58 AM
FormerVendor

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Default CAS Sensor Wiring

Hi Birdy, do you switch to 1/2 Moon Cam Timing Sprocket ?

DId you switch position of the two outside wires for the front/rear CAS sensor wiring ? (push to seat)

Does your tune APP report no CAS signal ?

The center CAS wire should go High/Low if tested with a iron object placed at the CAS noise ?

Lance
Old 05-16-2018, 07:28 PM
Teching In

Hello Lance,
I did change to the correct cam sprocket and I have swapped the wires ABC to CBA and back multiple times. To include checking continuity to the ECU pins each time.

I grounded out the low reference wire "B" direct to the battery and poof everything started working. I am going to recheck continuity on that wire through the harness tomorrow. I think the problem may have been a combination of problems, including a replacement harness that has a possible broken wire. I will know for sure tomorrow.

Thanks - Carl

Last edited by tweetybirdy; 05-16-2018 at 07:50 PM.
Old 05-19-2018, 07:21 AM
Teching In

Turned out to be two problems. The new harness I purchased had a bad low reference signal wire and the cam sensor I replaced my original one with appears to be bad. I have continuity tested my original harness, but never the new one. Goes to show you that when you chasing a problem like this you need to take you time and double check everything.