Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To cam or not to cam?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2018, 07:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Quixote
Here's my before-after dyno curve of my car from bone stock to TSP 228R cam, LTs, catted Y, catback, and tune. It drives like stock with a circle-D 3200rpm stall, although it doesn't sound like stock. For what it's worth, and I realize it's a sample set of one, but my 4L60E bit the dust at 49,000 miles - about 500 miles and 2 months after the cam install.
This mildly worries me.

I have a level 6 built 4L60E in my F-Body and it shifts STRONG but if I go and cam it and push the power band into the upper RPMS, will I need to worry about this?
Old 08-09-2018, 07:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 351 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by Need4Camaro
This mildly worries me.

I have a level 6 built 4L60E in my F-Body and it shifts STRONG but if I go and cam it and push the power band into the upper RPMS, will I need to worry about this?
Who's level 6 ?

I spin my self built 4l60e to 7100 rpms.
Old 08-09-2018, 07:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

Both post were very helpful thank you. My buddy is going to install a TSB 228 in his car but he has headers so maybe I should wait and see how it works out for him. The only thing is he doesn't do things very fast LOL.
Old 08-09-2018, 08:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Carguy8888
How much higher did it make the Power Band?
I'm not exactly sure since I didn't get my dyno sheet lol. I would assume it looks something similar to the sheet below though since this is the same cam.

Here's my before-after dyno curve of my car from bone stock to TSP 228R cam, LTs, catted Y, catback, and tune. It drives like stock with a circle-D 3200rpm stall, although it doesn't sound like stock. For what it's worth, and I realize it's a sample set of one, but my 4L60E bit the dust at 49,000 miles - about 500 miles and 2 months after the cam install.
Did you have a good trans cooler? How hard do you drive the car? I'm surprised it went with on you with that low mileage, unless you were really hard on it or just plain unlucky, seems unusual
Old 08-09-2018, 08:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by TransAmWS.6
I'm not exactly sure since I didn't get my dyno sheet lol. I would assume it looks something similar to the sheet below though since this is the same cam.

Did you have a good trans cooler? How hard do you drive the car? I'm surprised it went with on you with that low mileage, unless you were really hard on it or just plain unlucky, seems unusual
or low on fluid with the stock pan also will cause fluid starvation at wot
Old 08-09-2018, 08:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 601 Likes on 464 Posts

Man you don’t even have 400rwhp. A mildly, correctly built I might add, will hold 400rwhp no problem. Honestly alot of builders just don’t build these correctly. I won’t go into a bunch of story about it, but my buddy has a 6.0 gto with 470rwhp. I built his teams over a year ago. He gives it no mercy and that is almost 4000lbs of weight with him in it. It’s been holding up fine. He been to the strip a few times and got lap it. I had a camaro with over 450rwhp and 500ft lbs tq (third gen old school sbc 383) with a 700r I built. Held up fine. Trans is still working. My gto, again a heavy car, has about 5k miles on my build and I give it no mercy. Hadn’t skipped a beat. I figure it should last about 50k miles with the thrashing I give it. Well, maybe not, I’m currently in the middle of my single turbo build. So I guess we will see. 400-450-500rwhp can be held by a properly built 4l60. I had one that help up for about 7-8 months of street driving and every weekend strip duty. It was a full weight 4th gen camaro running 9 something trapping 141mph and leaving on the back bumper pulling a 1.2-1.3 60ft. It put down like 700 something on the nitrous. If he would have just ran it all motor all the time it would have lasted a couple years. It ran low 10’s at 130mph on the motor. 416 or 418 stroker. Car even had a big speaker box in it. Weighed over 4K with driver. He even left so hard one time the car hit the back bumper and then it slammed down and busted the oil pan. I have that on video too. It was funny but heart breaking all in one. Anyways, it can be done. You just have to find a good builder who knows their **** with this trans.
Old 08-10-2018, 11:37 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TransAmWS.6
No, I wasn't low on trans fluid. No, I didn't drive like a crazy guy, but I bought the car in 2016. I can't say how the first owner drove it for the preceding 14 years. The specific failure mechanism was the 2-4 band letting go.

The car has a B&M 70268 Trans cooler. Full disclosure, the trans cooler wasn't installed until AFTER the dyno runs for tuning. We did 6 pulls, so I guess it's possible heat got me, but it could also just be that I was unlucky.

Like I said. It's a sample set of 1, on a 15 year old bone stock 4L60E.
Old 08-10-2018, 11:47 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 601 Likes on 464 Posts

You can’t go by that example. We have brand new cars that roll off the truck and the transmission don’t shift. Happens.

Something else to consider. The internet is full of complaints. It’s much easier to complain about something that to post about having no problems. Think about it. What thread is more likely to come up .... “4l60e failed in 500 miles” or “just wanted to say my 4l60 is doing good and hasn’t skipped a beat”. It’s poinless and no one cares that your trans is doing good....because it should. But to vent about a failure, that’s much more likely because we all like attention and for other people to feel your pain. Just food for thought.
Old 08-10-2018, 02:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Kfxguy
You can’t go by that example. We have brand new cars that roll off the truck and the transmission don’t shift. Happens.

Something else to consider. The internet is full of complaints. It’s much easier to complain about something that to post about having no problems. Think about it. What thread is more likely to come up .... “4l60e failed in 500 miles” or “just wanted to say my 4l60 is doing good and hasn’t skipped a beat”. It’s poinless and no one cares that your trans is doing good....because it should. But to vent about a failure, that’s much more likely because we all like attention and for other people to feel your pain. Just food for thought.
True story.

Imo the 4l60e is not a bad tranny and actually think it's perfect for any h/c stalled Ls1 even with some spray on top of that. To say they are bullet proof would be a foolish statement but for the majority, a decent build will last a long time. And not a build by the local Kennedy transmission or whatever your local chain transmission shop is.

Also to be fair when you bash on vehicles they are going to break. One quick look through the automatic transmission section and you will see there are plenty of th400 and 4l80e threads also.

I think it's crazy when you see the inside of a transmission and see what actually is holding all the power it is a wonder how any of them stay together with the insane amount of power being put through them.
I just find it fascinating lol.
Old 08-10-2018, 09:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

No, I wasn't low on trans fluid. No, I didn't drive like a crazy guy, but I bought the car in 2016. I can't say how the first owner drove it for the preceding 14 years. The specific failure mechanism was the 2-4 band letting go.

The car has a B&M 70268 Trans cooler. Full disclosure, the trans cooler wasn't installed until AFTER the dyno runs for tuning. We did 6 pulls, so I guess it's possible heat got me, but it could also just be that I was unlucky.

Like I said. It's a sample set of 1, on a 15 year old bone stock 4L60E.
I think the heat could've been it, I have a digital trans temp gauge in my Camaro and I know I was told by my tuner that at 220 degrees you need to probably back off. I have seen temps in the mid 190s under some hard driving with my B&M 70264 which I believe is bigger than the 70268. So I can only imagine how hot it can get without a cooler at all. But who knows, sorry for your luck man