Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new ls1 owner

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2018, 05:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new ls1 owner

i want to make to make a little more power. i have an ls6 dorman intake man, American racing headers,borla exhust and slp intake kit. im looking to change cam, lifters and rocker arms. im not looking fro a crazy cam, just something that will give me a little more power. but i need help deciding what cam to get. anyone have suggestions?
Old 11-12-2018, 10:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bought a '00 5 years ago. Have replaced most all that's under the hood because I wanted too and in some cases because I had too! I lost some lifters into the cam on my '00 LS1....FREEKIN' TWICE ('16 & '17). Did the repairs my-freekin'-self TWICE!!! The first open heart, I did not replace the springs (large mistake). After the second open heart, I found that 13 of the 16 valve springs were not torqued properly and old springs had lost their sprung which let the lifters go bouncin'. So...I tore everything down and replaced and had my buddy's shop torque the new springs down to spec. Re-replaced the lifters with LS7 hydraulic lifters (again - Hydraulic Roller, LS7-style, 0.842 in. ) and upgraded the cam with the following Howard's kit ....HOWARD'S GM LS1 Cathedral Port 270/275 604"/604" 112° Cam & Valve Springs Kit. ..... http://www.ebay.com/itm/111848587144

You gotta get the springs torqued right or you'll be in there again!!!!!!!

It will do the following.....It added about 60hp to my LS1. I have yet to get it all tuned and jazzed up but it's pretty much a plug-n-play. It's not TOO evasive but it will create a good growl at start up and WILL turn heads at a red light. It will do some pop-pop-poppin' when you downshift too - which turns more heads. However, once you get up over 20mph, she quiets down inside the cab. HOWEVER - You will have to research the push-rod lengths. It needs a shorter one for the exhaust stroke. The intake rods are fine. It's aggressive but not aggressive enough to disrupt the transmission or torque converter and the gas mileage is pretty much the same.....but that just depends if i wanna act like a kid or a 55 year old grampa!

One note of interest on this thing.....since you might open it all up with this endeavor, I would really consider replacing the oil pump if you do. Not that you have to but just thinking out loud to potentially save your wallet AND sanity later.