Sponsored by:

Time Capsule LS1/ T56

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2019, 09:04 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time Capsule LS1/ T56

Hi all,

I have been looking for an LS motor to swap into my 1972 Camaro for months and haven’t been having much luck. I continue to see used LS1/ LS6 motors for $4k and T56s for $2500 with over 100k miles on them. Even 5.3 LM4 and L33s are getting pricey in my area. A few weeks ago I came across a local craigslist ad for a LS1/ T56 combo at a very good price. The photos looked washed out and the description was worded weird so I assumed the ad was a scam.

Over the next week or so, I searched for LS motors as I had for the past few months and I continued to come across the ad I thought was a scam. The price for the combo became more and more attractive to me so I decided to give the guy a call.

I called him and got the whole story. Apparently the motor was a “new car takedown” by a performance shop in Mesa, AZ in the year 2000. The performance shop supposedly bought a brand new 1999 Z28 from Courtesy Chevrolet in Phoenix and immediately took it back to the shop to rip out its guts and put in a stroker motor/ TH400 set up for ¼ mile racing. The LS1/ T56 apparently had less than 100 miles on them before they were taken out of the new ¼ mile built shop car.

The guy said his colleague at the time was good friends with the owner of the shop. When he got word from his colleague that there was going to be a nearly new LS1/ T56 for sale, he immediately scooped it up for his mid-life crisis project at the time. He was building a 55 Bel Air and was going to put the LS1/ T56 in it. As he came closer to finishing his build, he decided to keep the car more of a purist theme and install an SBC rather than the LS. He still held on to the LS for his 66 Suburban but he never got to the point of installing it into that truck either.

Now at the age of 65, the owner was nearing retirement and cleaning out his house to sell and fund two smaller vacation homes. It was time to put the time capsule LS1/ T56 he had been holding on for almost 20 years for sale. This is the first time I had purchased a motor which was out of a car and the last thing I wanted was to be burned out of thousands of dollars and delay progress on my Camaro. After talking to the guy on the phone and justifying any outcome because of his asking price, I decided to go look at it.

The motor and trans were extremely clean cosmetically and matched the description I was told on the phone. The water pump had very little coolant crust in the outlet, there was barely any black carbon build up in the manifolds, and it had the factory AC Delco plugs and oil filter. The guy claimed he had never changed the oil and it still had the break in oil inside. I turned the crank pulley and the motor turned smoothly. Apparently the owner had periodically done the same over the past 20 years to keep the internals moving and ensure the motor wasn’t sitting on any one valve for too long at a time. The motor and trans even came with mint F-body cross members and motor mounts. Everything checked out so I pulled the trigger.

My plan from the start was to add bolt-ons and a cam to the LS motor I ended up buying for my Camaro. While the motor is out of the car, I feel it is a good time to also replace some parts as preventative maintenance. I have done a lot of research on LS1Tech about motors that have been sitting for a while but it is to no surprise I have not come across anyone who has a motor which has sat for 20 years. This is my plan for the LS1 before I install it into my Camaro…

Cam, hardened push rods, valve springs, and valve seals. LS6 Intake and new larger injectors as I am sure the factory ones could be clogged after 20 years of sitting. New plugs, and oil pump. Long tube headers and a plug and play PSI Wiring Harness to hook up the motor to my car.

Would you guys recommend doing any other preventive maintenance on the motor before I put it into the car and fire it up? I have thought of also replacing the head gaskets but I am not sure the MLS gaskets would wear out from just sitting? I would rather not screw with removing the heads if I don’t have to. I am replacing injectors but should I replace or clean out the fuel rail too? Can fuel rails get clogged from sitting?

I know this is a long winded post but I thought everyone might enjoy the post. I may have gotten scammed by an old man with a good story but I am confident I might have just scored a nice motor/ trans here for my car. I guess time will tell!

-Jim

Old 02-10-2019, 09:18 AM
12 Second Club

Received 177 Likes on 130 Posts

That motor looks brand new. I would pull the heads and the oil pan just to make sure everything looks ok inside. While it's open, mill/port the heads and swap the cam. Then, throw it back together and enjoy!
Old 02-10-2019, 10:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Nice score
Old 02-12-2019, 09:42 PM
Staging Lane

Default Looks Brand new

Wow some one buys a brand new car just to go drag racing must have a lot of $$$$$$
Old 02-13-2019, 06:58 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the replies! I was pretty damn skeptical when I first heard the guy’s story but after seeing the condition one the motor, I think it’s going to be a good one. I appreciate the advise.
Old 02-13-2019, 08:15 AM
TECH Resident

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Very nice score OP. From your photos, it looks like you have a pretty much brand new LS1/T56. There are no signs of dirt or grime built up in any small crevices. Just a little FYI, since the motor is a model year 2000 or earlier (hints the 853 heads), the engine may not have MLS head gaskets as you mentioned. My '00 C5 which had 853 heads came with graphite head gaskets from the factory. Amazing find.
Old 02-13-2019, 09:17 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by R6cowboy
Very nice score OP. From your photos, it looks like you have a pretty much brand new LS1/T56. There are no signs of dirt or grime built up in any small crevices. Just a little FYI, since the motor is a model year 2000 or earlier (hints the 853 heads), the engine may not have MLS head gaskets as you mentioned. My '00 C5 which had 853 heads came with graphite head gaskets from the factory. Amazing find.
Good to know about the potential for graphite head gaskets. I need to just bite the bullet and replace them as a precaution. No point in going to all this work and then half assing something relatively simple while the motor is out of the car.
Old 02-13-2019, 09:40 AM
On The Tree

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Waterpump gasket and serpentine belt might need to be replaced if it sat for as long as you say.
Nice setup, your 72 is going to rock! Give it a nice lopey cam to really make those panties drop at redlights!
Old 02-13-2019, 11:46 AM
TECH Resident

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Indeed, good precaution to replace certain gaskets, O-rings, belts, etc now while they're more easily accessible out of the car. These things do tend to dry-rot and become frail just sitting over time. 19 years certainly could do it.
Old 02-13-2019, 11:57 AM
TECH Addict

Received 478 Likes on 368 Posts

Front and rear main seals.. make sure they havent gotten hard or stuck to the crank, it can happen when engines
sit for extended periods of time.. And they suck to replace after you have it all back in the car.

I replace valve springs when engines sit, ideally when storing a motor you pull the rocker arms so they relax in
storage but few people do it.. I've seen multiple engines break springs after a few years of sitting. Stock ones arent too bad cost-wise..
Old 02-13-2019, 12:15 PM
Teching In

It’s good that I will be doing a cam swap including valve springs prior to installing the motor in the car then. I’ll keep an eye out on all those seals during the process.

Can an anyone link me to a thread highlighting the the hydro clutch master cylinder install into a classic car? I have been doing some searching and haven’t been able to find a how to. I’m not 100% clear on this portion of the install.
Old 02-13-2019, 02:19 PM
Staging Lane

Default Hydraulic Clutch

These guys specialize in Engine swaps and are a T-56 Distributor they are also experts for motor mounts Drive shafts and rear ends

https://americanpowertrain.com/
Old 02-13-2019, 02:25 PM
Staging Lane

Default Scammers

I know what you are saying about Scammers .. I was looking for a Geo Tracker .. I pull mine being off road trucks so I don;t have to drive the truck home at night ..

GEO Tracker air conditiong blows Ice Cold Super Stereo .. I need Cash to start my new Business.. I have a friend in the the Car Hauling business will deliver from CA for Free..

I knew the guy was a scammer but how can I prove it. Kept leading him on about waiting to be paid for a big job to get money .. he used an E-mail address .. I google the E-mail address and found a Jet Ski for sale in Wi and a Toyota Truck for sale in NC finally he called me on a Burner phone .. I wasted two days on this E-Bay was no interested because I never made a transaction with him .. He had a Russian Accent .. He took his buy now deal off the table pronto when he realized I was on to him .. If E-Bay would have told me to make the Purcahse could have caught him but I was not risking my $3,500 on the Deal

In your case Going to see it in Person was the only way to go ,
Old 02-13-2019, 03:10 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MarkZ281979
I know what you are saying about Scammers .. I was looking for a Geo Tracker .. I pull mine being off road trucks so I don;t have to drive the truck home at night ..

GEO Tracker air conditiong blows Ice Cold Super Stereo .. I need Cash to start my new Business.. I have a friend in the the Car Hauling business will deliver from CA for Free..

I knew the guy was a scammer but how can I prove it. Kept leading him on about waiting to be paid for a big job to get money .. he used an E-mail address .. I google the E-mail address and found a Jet Ski for sale in Wi and a Toyota Truck for sale in NC finally he called me on a Burner phone .. I wasted two days on this E-Bay was no interested because I never made a transaction with him .. He had a Russian Accent .. He took his buy now deal off the table pronto when he realized I was on to him .. If E-Bay would have told me to make the Purcahse could have caught him but I was not risking my $3,500 on the Deal

In your case Going to see it in Person was the only way to go ,
I hear you. I’m always tempted to buy vehicles out of state sight unseen but there is just too much room to be taken advantage of. Unfortuently you have to be skeptical of strangers until they prove they’re legit