Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Frame rail cooler locations

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2019, 12:55 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Frame rail cooler locations

ive been looking at possible locations for mounting a frame rail cooler for power steering and came across pictures of them behind the air dam. Is that location really effective for getting good air flow? Ive seen a picture with a hole cut in the air dam and without a hole. where is everyone mounting frame rail coolers? and what are the pros and cons of cutting a hole in the air dam? This is for a 4th gen camaro.
Old 05-01-2019, 03:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I thought the same thing.I just ran the lines from the PSU to the bump,no problems
Old 05-01-2019, 04:18 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 2ToeRacing
I thought the same thing.I just ran the lines from the PSU to the bump,no problems
PSU to the bump?
Old 05-02-2019, 03:14 AM
TECH Regular

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Kokomastah
ive been looking at possible locations for mounting a frame rail cooler for power steering and came across pictures of them behind the air dam. Is that location really effective for getting good air flow? Ive seen a picture with a hole cut in the air dam and without a hole. where is everyone mounting frame rail coolers? and what are the pros and cons of cutting a hole in the air dam? This is for a 4th gen camaro.
Mine is mounted directly under the radiator BEHIND the air damn towards the motor. I am running a tube and fin and have had zero issues with temps. I can grab a picture later today if it helps.
Old 05-02-2019, 03:17 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by klinznilk
Mine is mounted directly under the radiator BEHIND the air damn towards the motor. I am running a tube and fin and have had zero issues with temps. I can grab a picture later today if it helps.
yes please, pictures would be great!
Thanks.
Old 05-02-2019, 10:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Right under the radiator support

I mounted mine right under the rad support on the driver's side. Cut a hole in a air dam. Seems to work really well

Can get pic later
Old 05-02-2019, 12:29 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by jaxcam02
I mounted mine right under the rad support on the driver's side. Cut a hole in a air dam. Seems to work really well

Can get pic later
I've seen a picture of one mounted behind the air damn and a hole cut in front of it. They had smaller coolers and therefore a not so large hole. Im wondering if there is any cooling or aerodynamic issue with cutting a hole in the air damn. My cooler is much larger. its a Derale 13224 and at 21" for the cooling section it would need a much larger hole in the air damn than the ones ive seen cut. that's why i was wondering if there are other places a frame rail cooler can be mounted on these cars.
Old 05-03-2019, 12:16 AM
Staging Lane

did you get a chance to get a picture?
Thanks
Old 05-03-2019, 12:57 AM
TECH Regular

did you get a chance to get a picture?
Thanks

That is how mine is mounted. Rest of bumper is not in this pic because I have it torn off to replace a defective meth pump. As you can see I have zero holes in air damn and zero issues running it this way. Figure coolant is 180ish-220ish which the factory one goes thru.
Old 05-03-2019, 12:59 AM
TECH Regular

I've seen a picture of one mounted behind the air damn and a hole cut in front of it. They had smaller coolers and therefore a not so large hole. Im wondering if there is any cooling or aerodynamic issue with cutting a hole in the air damn. My cooler is much larger. its a Derale 13224 and at 21" for the cooling section it would need a much larger hole in the air damn than the ones ive seen cut. that's why i was wondering if there are other places a frame rail cooler can be mounted on these cars.
Thats appears to be the same one I used. I would have to go thru my receipts to check though
Old 05-03-2019, 01:02 AM
Staging Lane

Thats appears to be the same one I used. I would have to go thru my receipts to check though
yea i can tell by the picture that is the exact same cooler i have. How long have you been running it like that? you say the coolant is 180-220ish, are you saying the temps from that location are definitely lower than that?

what kind of connector did you use for the hose? doesn't look like the one that came with it
Old 05-03-2019, 01:26 AM
TECH Regular

been running that way for 3+ years

you say the coolant is 180-220ish, are you saying the temps from that location are definitely lower than that? I would say it has to be lower than that. There is only power steering fluid running thru it (and not being "flowed" thru the engine coolant). I have never taken a temperature reading though

The fittings on the end are ones I used that I had laying around. They are "barbed" ones that I had in my misc stash of crap that converted to "an type". Those connecters are -6an female to barb. The ones that the kit came with will work just fine though and just clamp your lines on. I have zero leaks and have had zero problems.

Last edited by klinznilk; 05-03-2019 at 01:59 AM.
Old 05-03-2019, 03:21 AM
Staging Lane

been running that way for 3+ years

you say the coolant is 180-220ish, are you saying the temps from that location are definitely lower than that? I would say it has to be lower than that. There is only power steering fluid running thru it (and not being "flowed" thru the engine coolant). I have never taken a temperature reading though

The fittings on the end are ones I used that I had laying around. They are "barbed" ones that I had in my misc stash of crap that converted to "an type". Those connecters are -6an female to barb. The ones that the kit came with will work just fine though and just clamp your lines on. I have zero leaks and have had zero problems.
thanks for all the feedback. Ill give it a shot back there without cutting any holes then.