New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ls1 Bolt on advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2020, 08:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ls1 Bolt on advice

Hi there and thanks for taking the time to read this post. Im attempting to build up my 1967 camaro. Im leaning toward installing an ls1 from a a 1998-2002 camaro/lift out donor. I have some questions regarding building these up for F-Bodies. As a caveat, I did search for "ls1 bolt on recommendations" in the site search and couldn't find anything. So here goes.....
  1. Car: 1967 Camaro.
  2. Exhaust: 2.5 inch dual exhaust and longtube headers - wanting a medium rumble.
  3. Rear End: 8.5 10 bolt posi @ 373
  4. Desired Engine: 5,7 LS1
  5. Transmission: 4L65e
  6. Front suspension: qa1 coil overs with tubes and cpp beefed up suspension.
  7. Rear suspension: qa1 rear shocks with leafs and bars....not doing 4-link and minitub as Id like to finish the car before I die.
  8. Frame Reinforced by Detroit speed frame connectors.
  9. Brakes: power disc front.drum in the rear.
  10. Tires: A basic staggered stance.
  11. Supercharger: Id like to avoid these.
  12. Budget: 9K for Engine/Tranny and Upgrades. ( the only Labor costs involved for me would be machine shop work - cleaning/balancing/valve/head work etc )

All that said....Id like to beef this car up to about 500 rwhp without boost/spray. Is this realistic?
Ive heard updating the heads (maybe 799's ported and polished), cam and lifters upgrades can really beef this engine up. Would that be enough to reach the 500 rwhp goal? Any thoughts on Head/Cam/Lifter/long tube header choices? Thank you in advance for all of your thoughts.

Quick Reply: Ls1 Bolt on advice