Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noob Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2020, 06:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Hello! 99 LS1 T/A

I have a 99’ 30th anniversary trans am #861. Has 40,xxx miles and I’m the second owner. I’ve put only 800 miles on the car but I’ve owned the car since 2002. It also has not ran since 2002. Long story short. Had bent push rods after I drove it for roughly 600-800 miles twice. Dealership wanted to replace the motor. Extended warranty company did not want to pay. So the car sat in my garage with the top end off of it since 2002. Finally getting it fixed (another long story I won’t get into today).
What I have is multiple piston heads (3) have a gouge from making contact with the heads. (I have pictures if you would like to see) What I’m needing, I’m guessing?? Is the Engine out of the car. Torn down to block. Inspect the block, rebuild the motor. Then get the car back running. Check all lines and flush Gas tank, etc. Finding that person is where I’m at now. Finding a LS1/F body mechanic shop locally might be a problem in Oklahoma.
Just wanted to say hello
The following users liked this post:
Johnny's99TA (11-17-2020)
Old 08-17-2020, 02:12 PM
On The Tree

Default Noob Question

My 99 LS1 had problems from the moment I bought it *used... help a noob out. Help explain this to me. I bought the car (1999 30th anniversary Trans Am) with 40,xxx miles. After 600ish miles I got a knock it was a bent push rod. They replaced it. 100-200 miles later it happened again. They pulled the oil pan and found metal shavings in the oil pan. When the top end was removed you can see roughly 2-4 piston heads with marks from hitting the heads.

im sure this could be multiple things but what are a couple of things that could cause this? I have no idea and would love to finally get some info on this. Thanks
Old 08-17-2020, 04:28 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,740 Likes on 1,247 Posts

Is this car a manual? A mechanical overrev can certainly lead to bent push rods. The stock valve springs are not very strong and don't do well much above the factory rev limiter, so valve float can be expected with a mechanical overrev. Sometimes this can even happen just from hitting the stock limiter too hard (even without accidentally downshifting), but more so if you've raised the limiter beyond the factory 6200rpm.
Old 08-17-2020, 05:45 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Is this car a manual? A mechanical overrev can certainly lead to bent push rods. The stock valve springs are not very strong and don't do well much above the factory rev limiter, so valve float can be expected with a mechanical overrev. Sometimes this can even happen just from hitting the stock limiter too hard (even without accidentally downshifting), but more so if you've raised the limiter beyond the factory 6200rpm.
yes it’s a manual. I think I remember the tech saying “high engine revving” or something to that degree along time ago. I figured it was something major, bottom end possibly? But I have no knowledge and that’s why I’m here.
Old 08-17-2020, 11:30 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

This is why I always tear down any engine that I bought used. Then again, I only buy cars with engine issues.
Old 08-18-2020, 06:13 AM
On The Tree

I was 18 and knew nothing of engines, knock noises. Learned pretty quick on buying a uses sports car for sure. Expensive lesson learned.
Old 08-18-2020, 11:15 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

At 18, I had an Impala, a shitty one but it got me where I needed to go. The best thing was it had a huge back seat . I'd probably be dead if I had a Trans Am or motorcycle at that age.
Old 08-19-2020, 06:30 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Chpbstrd
At 18, I had an Impala, a shitty one but it got me where I needed to go. The best thing was it had a huge back seat . I'd probably be dead if I had a Trans Am or motorcycle at that age.
lol. Well I drove my trans am for about 1 month before it was tore down and I haven’t drove it since. So it may have been my dads plan to not get it fixed so I wouldn’t kill myself. Lol.
The following users liked this post:
Johnny's99TA (11-17-2020)

Quick Reply: Noob Question