New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Washed Under Hood wasn't thinking Steam!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2004, 11:18 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Washed Under Hood wasn't thinking Steam!!!

Ok...i just got done driving my car for 15 minutes..on teh highway..went and bought some engine compartment cleaner...wasn't thinking and sprayed it right on..which wasn't bad..it worked real good..i waited about 7 min 8 min...and washed under the hood...after i saw the steam i was like ****!!! im stupid...should i be worried i damaged..anything i know its possible to crack the block..but...do you think I should get teh car checked out...???

Old 07-20-2004, 11:27 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you will be ok, I have done that before and it didnt hurt anything , however i wouldnt suggest doing it again.
Old 07-20-2004, 11:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you hurt your car, you would know it the second you started her up. I'm thinking you're fine.
Old 07-20-2004, 11:36 PM
TECH Resident

weew..thanks..taht took a load of my mind..it really sux..when you do something like that..to a car...that you wanna keep forever

....trust me i will never do that again....it happened earlier today and it started fine...and ran fine all day
Old 07-21-2004, 12:08 AM
On The Tree

What is the best way to clean engine area and what precautions should I take because I'm afriad that I might mess up some electrical wiring or the starter ?
Old 07-21-2004, 12:28 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Toadman
What is the best way to clean engine area and what precautions should I take because I'm afriad that I might mess up some electrical wiring or the starter ?
i bought 2 things one can was..Engine Degreaser and Grime Remover..and the other was Engine Compartment cleaner..i sprayed the engine down with...the degreaser and grime remover then sprayed everything else with the engine compartment cleaner...carefully keeping the computer covered up...so not to get wet...after letting it set for 7 minutes..i washed under the hood and let me tell you...it looks BRAND NEW!!!...i got both of my products at the Local Napa Auto Parts Store...you can also find these at Wal-Mart, and most Auto-Parts stores.
Old 07-21-2004, 08:09 AM
Chop-Foo Director

Check out the appearance section here on ls1tech. There is a sticky post at the top with tips on cleaning the engine bay!
Old 07-21-2004, 01:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by msbz_ls1
i bought 2 things one can was..Engine Degreaser and Grime Remover..and the other was Engine Compartment cleaner..i sprayed the engine down with...the degreaser and grime remover then sprayed everything else with the engine compartment cleaner...carefully keeping the computer covered up...so not to get wet...after letting it set for 7 minutes..i washed under the hood and let me tell you...it looks BRAND NEW!!!...i got both of my products at the Local Napa Auto Parts Store...you can also find these at Wal-Mart, and most Auto-Parts stores.
That's all they do at a dealership too. Like that ArmorAll comercial..... "just spray it on....."
Old 07-22-2004, 01:12 PM
TECH Regular

Sounds like you got lucky. Look at it this way, you'll never do that again! We've all done stuff like that before.
Old 07-22-2004, 01:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

A little steam off the manifolds won't hurt. Although its best to wash the motor when its cold. Just don't get to much water under the intake manifold as it'll rust the knock sensors. I wash my motor about once a month. Never had a problem.