New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you buy this? WS6

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2022 | 02:35 PM
Teching In

Default Would you buy this? WS6

I currently own a 2000 camaro z28 convertible, which I love but have been really considering getting a ws6. I couldn’t find much online and this is the only one posted locally here in Wisconsin. I don’t want a showroom low mile one because I’m going to drive it. I also don’t want a shitbox. So let me know what you think about this one. It’s a one owner, supposedly it was his grandfathers. I attached some videos and photos. Some things that stood out to me was in one of the videos the oil pressure at idle was 20psi, I know that’s somewhat normal, but not really. It could also be the gauge. Another thing was that the shift **** looks like it’s torn up. So my thinking was that maybe whoever drove it, drove it hard and slammed gears. Which could explain why he says might need a clutch soon. I’ve already put in a clutch on my camaro and I wouldn’t be against doing it again, for the right car that is. I know when I relaxed my shift **** at 80k miles the stock one was in great condition. It’s stock which is nice, could definitely use a detail under hood and inside. The clear coat damage isn’t a big deal as I can get the hood repainted. But let me know what you think about this, I’m kind of leaning towards no just because I feel like it was beat on. But then again last time I’ve seen a ws6 posted up on marketplace in Wisconsin was about a year ago, and I should have bought it because it was a great deal. Or if you see any ws6s for sale in or around Wisconsin then let me know.

thanks for looking

Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_7120.MOV (4.09 MB, 27 views)
IMG_7123.MOV (5.83 MB, 11 views)
IMG_7122.MOV (2.95 MB, 12 views)
Old 05-04-2022 | 02:49 PM
TECH Fanatic
15 Year Member

I never buy anything that the owner wont even clean up before taking pictures of it unless its CHEAP.
While having it clean wouldnt exactly mean it was always taken care of, having it dirty is a sure sign that it WASNT taken care of.

Although they are getting harder to find, here in TN that car would sell around the 7-8K range, if it was clean and hood painted it would be closer to the 13k mark.

Also, "Needs a clutch soon" means its not holding when he is power shifting lol.... I mean thats how I would know it needed a clutch anyways lol
Old 05-04-2022 | 08:04 PM
Teching In

Yea i think ill pass on it. Just too many little signs that make me think it was beaten on. Also should mention that the guy is in multiple groups about racing and stuff like that so i'm sure it was beaten on. It doesn't really bother me if its clean or not, to an extent. My dad only cleaned the outside of his cars and a little inside. His engine bays looked the same as in the photos, that's of course before I came over and deep cleaned everything. But he babies his cars and does 3k mile oil changes and keeps up on everything else. He's more of a function over looks guy anyways. But if anyone wants this then its in Wisconsin.
Old 05-04-2022 | 08:53 PM
TECH Senior Member
20 Year Member

Run! That WS6 is worth ~7k IMHO, it will need a clutch & probably synchronizers, maybe a T56 rebuild. Definitely will need paint correction at the very least.

That WS6 is also dirtier than my daily driver 02 Z28 nearly double the miles, that isn't for sale. My 02 Z28 has 258,000 miles and still holds 40+ psi hot oil pressure w/5w-30 Mobile 1

I think you can find a better car for ~$13,500

Old 05-04-2022 | 09:28 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 99 Black Bird T/A

Run! That WS6 is worth ~7k IMHO, it will need a clutch & probably synchronizers, maybe a T56 rebuild. Definitely will need paint correction at the very least.

That WS6 is also dirtier than my daily driver 02 Z28 nearly double the miles, that isn't for sale. My 02 Z28 has 258,000 miles and still holds 40+ psi hot oil pressure w/5w-30 Mobile 1

I think you can find a better car for ~$13,500
yea I'm not getting it. I got excited when I first saw it but after looking at it better I could tell some things were off. I think that the oil pressure issue is some what normal at least in the 5.3s. Maybe not normal but acceptable. My 300k mile 05 Silverado idles at ~20psi but I know that vehicle and it seems happy and hasn't had any issues with it. Although I don't think I would buy one that already has that issue. I'll definitely keep looking, do you know any good websites to look for used cars like this other than the normal FB marketplace and craigslist? I also checked the marketplace on here and didn't really come up with much. And eBay mainly has like low mile showroom cars.
Old 05-05-2022 | 01:13 AM
LS1Tech Administrator
20 Year Member

It says "3.73 posi rear end", but then "all stock and unmolested car". One of those quoted statements is false. Every M6 LS1 WS6 car left the factory with a 3.42 gear. There was no other option, no other possibility with a manual. One bright spot is that the rust which would typically develop on/around the shock tower nuts by that mileage is not present, nor is any other significant corrosion - just dirt. So I do believe that it's probably mostly rust free, therefore possibly a car worth fixing up.

With that said, prices are stupid right now so you might not find any great deals until reality returns to the used car market.
Old 05-05-2022 | 06:08 AM
TECH Senior Member
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by Tom729
I'll definitely keep looking, do you know any good websites to look for used cars like this other than the normal FB marketplace and craigslist? I also checked the marketplace on here and didn't really come up with much.
Found the 02 Z28 on CarGurus.com also AutoTrader has worked well in the past before The Wuhan-Rona. Overall am 4 for 4 on CarGuru's & AutoTrader with good finds for a fair price over the years. Usually, took a couple of months to find one because there's a lot of chaff & overpriced vehicles to sort through to find one that's suitable to desire & budget.

Marketplace here still occasionally has excellent cars at great prices. Saw a nice 4th Gen several months ago the asking was ~$12,500. A dealer snapped up and slapped on his lot for ~$24,500

Last edited by 99 Black Bird T/A; 05-05-2022 at 06:14 AM.
Old 05-05-2022 | 12:39 PM
TECH Senior Member
20 Year Member

2002 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 Convertible - $14,679 w/86,xxx miles, one owner

02 Z28 Convertible

Also on CarGurus

Last edited by 99 Black Bird T/A; 05-05-2022 at 12:52 PM.
Old 05-05-2022 | 03:46 PM
Teching In

I’ll definitely keep looking. I don’t want a convertible as My 00 z28 is a convertible. It’s nice but at the same time I wish it hard/t top. I mainly want a ws6 to add to the collection. I’ll check those websites for some deals. I also don’t want a car that needs a whole bunch of work, mainly just drive line related.

Quick Reply: Would you buy this? WS6