Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need a Price check.

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2004, 07:34 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need a Price check.

Hey, well i stated my problem on the boards before..basically my car wouldnt start sometimes. i found out it was the fuel pump. now i was just wondering what would be the common price to change one of these through the dealership. i would do it on my own but i just cant juggle a job and school.
So im looking for a ballpark estimate, so i wont be in awe at the dealership or at a maitenance shop. Thanks to all of you
Old 07-22-2004, 07:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MyWS6
Hey, well i stated my problem on the boards before..basically my car wouldnt start sometimes. i found out it was the fuel pump. now i was just wondering what would be the common price to change one of these through the dealership. i would do it on my own but i just cant juggle a job and school.
So im looking for a ballpark estimate, so i wont be in awe at the dealership or at a maitenance shop. Thanks to all of you
The dealer price for this job will make you want to cry.. I'm guessing at least $400 from them..

I know that you may be busy, but I did a walbro install on my car a weekend ago...

If installed by cutting the trap door in the rear hatch, you can do the job in 2hrs tops.. I'm sure you can find 2hrs to save yourself a couple $100 bucks..
Old 07-22-2004, 11:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Z28Venom
The dealer price for this job will make you want to cry.. I'm guessing at least $400 from them..
... The list price on the fuel module is $576.87 & from what techs at the dealer I work for told me, thery're a bitch to do.... So you can only imagine what the labor rate might be.
Old 07-23-2004, 01:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

WOW a pump is 576 damn. I would think at 75 an hour you would be looking at $800-1000 for the swap.
Old 07-23-2004, 05:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by goober35
WOW a pump is 576 damn. I would think at 75 an hour you would be looking at $800-1000 for the swap.
Yep... Do it yourself. It took me not even 2 hours to drop the tank install it and then put it right back up. Pretty easy. Just a pain in the *** for a few mins

The hardest part I found was dropping the tank and putting it right back up there.

Did it on my monte carlo ss too. The only hard part was sealing it back up with that sutpid little ring that slides over the gasket and under the lip (kinda to lock it into place and keep it from moving) That was my first fuel pump install and that took me about 3 hours.

My vote... Do It Yourself!

Goodluck!
Old 07-23-2004, 10:27 PM
Teching In

thanks all..man that 1000$ is way too much...yea ill take a weekend and do it thanks again
Old 07-24-2004, 02:08 AM
TECH Resident

I paid $1200 a few years back when my old 1998 lost the pump. It was stock and I never considered buying an after market pump. I felt violated and had to lie in a fetal position sucking my thumb for a several days. The pump alone was $675 back then. They have to drop the axle and exhaust to drop the tank. Its located on the top part of the tank. Some of the fuel pumps in other Chevy cars can be accessed from the trunk or hatch. You can always cut a whole above the fuel tank and switch it out. Then attach some kind of latch for easy access in the future. Finally the mechanics reference book states eight seven hours.

Do yourself a favor and buy an aftermarket pump that will cost less, last longer and deliver more fuel for future mods. Some can even be externally mounted. Good Luck!