Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Daily driving a 4th gen

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2024, 04:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 235 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Every single time I've encountered a touch screen (such as a rental car or driving other folks' cars with this nonsense) it absolutely does drive me nuts. I dread having to ever buy a car with one of these, so I'm trying to keep my 2010 daily driver for as long as possible. I love buttons/*****/switches; once you're familiar with a given interior you never really need to take your eyes off the road to mess with them, you can just feel it out. I just don't see the appeal to the touch screens, other than being "flashy-blinky" tech to impress and satisfy the "flashy-blinky" types.
Originally Posted by lees02WS6
Not apple to apples, but my ESAB welder has a touch screen, I don't really do too much adjusting because you have to dig through menus, as opposed to something like a prime weld, where it's just a bunch of *****. On the face of it, literally, the ESAB looks simpler but it's actually the other way around.
Originally Posted by 01CamaroSSTx
Can your vehicle survive from an EMP? I think most would not which is why if you're someone with a car that runs on old school technology then you have a gem IMO.

Electronics..They're neat and all but do I really need them to roll my windows up and down or to control the volume and channels on my stereo or my personal #1 "engine and transmission"? With todays technology a vehicle can be quickly immobilized and I suppose that's a good thing.
I think the crappiest new tech is when they have the HVAC controls on the touch screen only. What if the screen goes out? No heat or a/c I guess.
The following users liked this post:
wannafbody (06-18-2024)
Old 06-17-2024, 04:22 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,761 Likes on 1,258 Posts

Originally Posted by Y2K_Frenzy
I think the crappiest new tech is when they have the HVAC controls on the touch screen only. What if the screen goes out? No heat or a/c I guess.
That's a great example of what I was referring to here:

The problem with gadgets is that they break, and they are often not easily serviceable, and when they fail they can cause functionality issues with more necessary features - to the point where you can't just ignore the failure. I guess that's not a problem if you don't plan to keep the car for decades, and I'm sure the OEMs would prefer that you don't.
This is also becoming a problem with home appliances; tech overload that is supposed to "wow" shoppers, but sharp folks realize that making a vacuum cleaner or oven overly complicated doesn't make it a better product - just more likely to cause you hassles that you can't ignore as it ages. Keep it simple.
The following 2 users liked this post by RPM WS6:
Nathan C (06-18-2024), wannafbody (06-18-2024)
Old 06-17-2024, 07:01 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 210 Likes on 177 Posts

Every single time I've encountered a touch screen (such as a rental car or driving other folks' cars with this nonsense) it absolutely does drive me nuts. I dread having to ever buy a car with one of these, so I'm trying to keep my 2010 daily driver for as long as possible. I love buttons/*****/switches; once you're familiar with a given interior you never really need to take your eyes off the road to mess with them, you can just feel it out. I just don't see the appeal to the touch screens, other than being "flashy-blinky" tech to impress and satisfy the "flashy-blinky" types.
The perfect example is the graphic equalizer sliders on the Monsoon vs. touch screen.
Old 06-17-2024, 07:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RevGTO
The perfect example is the graphic equalizer sliders on the Monsoon vs. touch screen.
The treble **** is broken on my Monsoon and it pretty much needs all new speakers.. I think the paper cones are disintegrating.
To add insult to injury there really aren’t any “plug and play” speaker options. Damn you GM.

Last edited by Y2K_Frenzy; 06-17-2024 at 07:23 PM.
Old 06-17-2024, 07:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 214 Likes on 164 Posts

This is also becoming a problem with home appliances; tech overload that is supposed to "wow" shoppers, but sharp folks realize that making a vacuum cleaner or oven overly complicated doesn't make it a better product - just more likely to cause you hassles that you can't ignore as it ages. Keep it simple.
Old 06-17-2024, 09:45 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 210 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by Y2K_Frenzy
The treble **** is broken on my Monsoon and it pretty much needs all new speakers.. I think the paper cones are disintegrating.
To add insult to injury there really aren’t any “plug and play” speaker options. Damn you GM.
http://www.keeaudio.com/transam.html
Old 06-18-2024, 06:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RevGTO
I’ve seen that site on here before. When I first saw them I was thinking that they were plug and play and that was the reason Kee was charging a premium for speakers that no one has ever heard of before. But it turns out that they’re not “plug and play. There are still wires that need soldering. $160 for a pair for off-brand speakers that require modification to plug in. Tough sell if we advertise them like that.
Old 06-18-2024, 08:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 173 Likes on 125 Posts

Use heat shrinking butt connectors.
jybravo70 (06-19-2024)
Old 06-18-2024, 08:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Finkledbody
Use heat shrinking butt connectors.
I probably will just not on $160 CDT’s.
Old 06-18-2024, 08:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 850 Likes on 651 Posts

I resisted putting a touch screen in my car but when the 12 disc changer departed this world, I opted for a touchscreen with CD. Good thing as those models are getting a bit harder to find. So many people stream over compressed music through top of the line speakers.
Y2K_Frenzy (06-19-2024)
Old 06-19-2024, 09:37 PM
Teching In

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Haven't had any issues dailying mine so far
Nathan C (06-20-2024)
Old 06-21-2024, 10:44 AM
TECH Regular

Received 82 Likes on 64 Posts

My wife's daily driver (2016 Acura MDX SH-AWD) needed to go in for a recall for the software update (auto start/stop) and I wanted some of the more demanding 100k+ mile service done too. The dealer provided a new (2024 MDX base) as a loaner we got to drive for 4 days including over the weekend. My wife's has everything on the touchscreen, AC controls, information, entertainment, vehicle settings, all of it. Oddly this thing has 2 screens but only 1 is touch screen. There are 2 ***** on the dash, one for radio volume and 1 for selecting the active screen items. The 2024 MDX loaner only has 1 screen and it is NOT a touchscreen (hold on it gets worse). The AC controls, seat heat/cool controls are now buttons On The Dash! No more touch screen to adjust temp up/down or to lock/unlock rear temp settings! The worse part is all the infotainment options are now controlled by a stupid 1990's style touch pad on the arm rest. One step forward and two steps back.

Touch screens are ok IF you have multiple ways of interacting with them, case in point are steering wheel controls. The touchscreen head unit in my TA is way more usable because I can change the volume, source, radio channel, skip or repeat all from the steering wheel. Without this I would prefer the OEM style or older large screens with a row of buttons/controls at the bottom/top. One of the things I didn't like about the newer Acura steering wheel controls, there were too may. You could change radio stations, but it was a sub menu you had to select then scroll through to activate, from the steering wheel controls and visible on a tiny section of the instrument cluster, not safe to use while driving. The steering wheel on the newer car had button and dial overload compared to the older one. Engineers seem to have lost sight of how to make things simple and intuitive. I think the peak of all this was in the mid to late 1980s. Sure there was button overload on some of those steering wheels too but they were just single function buttons, not like those today that you need a menu to get into first before using the button. I guess that is a good side effect of the steering wheel air-bag, reducing the real estate for buttons/switches on the steering wheels!
Old 06-21-2024, 12:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by davidbucker8
Haven't had any issues dailying mine so far
You will.
Old 06-21-2024, 12:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jybravo70
My wife's daily driver (2016 Acura MDX SH-AWD) needed to go in for a recall for the software update (auto start/stop) and I wanted some of the more demanding 100k+ mile service done too. The dealer provided a new (2024 MDX base) as a loaner we got to drive for 4 days including over the weekend. My wife's has everything on the touchscreen, AC controls, information, entertainment, vehicle settings, all of it. Oddly this thing has 2 screens but only 1 is touch screen. There are 2 ***** on the dash, one for radio volume and 1 for selecting the active screen items. The 2024 MDX loaner only has 1 screen and it is NOT a touchscreen (hold on it gets worse). The AC controls, seat heat/cool controls are now buttons On The Dash! No more touch screen to adjust temp up/down or to lock/unlock rear temp settings! The worse part is all the infotainment options are now controlled by a stupid 1990's style touch pad on the arm rest. One step forward and two steps back.

Touch screens are ok IF you have multiple ways of interacting with them, case in point are steering wheel controls. The touchscreen head unit in my TA is way more usable because I can change the volume, source, radio channel, skip or repeat all from the steering wheel. Without this I would prefer the OEM style or older large screens with a row of buttons/controls at the bottom/top. One of the things I didn't like about the newer Acura steering wheel controls, there were too may. You could change radio stations, but it was a sub menu you had to select then scroll through to activate, from the steering wheel controls and visible on a tiny section of the instrument cluster, not safe to use while driving. The steering wheel on the newer car had button and dial overload compared to the older one. Engineers seem to have lost sight of how to make things simple and intuitive. I think the peak of all this was in the mid to late 1980s. Sure there was button overload on some of those steering wheels too but they were just single function buttons, not like those today that you need a menu to get into first before using the button. I guess that is a good side effect of the steering wheel air-bag, reducing the real estate for buttons/switches on the steering wheels!
I think maybe they’re giving us “fluff” since they can’t or won’t give us “substance.” The emissions ****’s might me partly to blame. That and the general cost of crap I bet. Substance would be a good powertrain etc.

Quick Reply: Daily driving a 4th gen