New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wrecked the Camaro tonight

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2004, 09:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree w/ what they're saying above. When you said you wrecked the camaro, I was thinking she was D.O.A. This is workable though. Go out there w/ a bucket of water, some soap, and a tub of car wax, and you would be amazed at how much better she'll look. Still will need to get her fixed, but in the mean time it'll look at least somewhat respectable.
Old 08-16-2004, 10:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

Bummer Deal Dude! Glad to see everyone is OK though. It does not look as bad as I thought it would either. I figured you'd have a big crinkle in the hood!
Time for some paint and a new set of undershorts, eh??
Not trying to Hi-Jack your thread but coming home on I-75 last week I was almost ***-packed by some Yo-Yo not paying attn to Northbound Weekend traffic in a GMC Sonoma w/ a topper. How do I know it had a topper, you ask? Because when he hit his brakes and went sideways.....I could see it in my rearview as I had to take the shoulder and put my nose beside the Escalade in front of me as he went into the other lane cutting off traffic over there! Had he hit my baby, (the car) I would have pulled his limp-unconcious body off of his hood (after being catapulted thru his winshield) and beat what was left of his life out of him!! ( I was ready to change my shorts!)

Good Luck on the repairs!
Old 08-16-2004, 10:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Dude your Lucky. I wrecked this weekend too. I hit right in the same area you did but mine is alot worse. I pretty much lost my headlight, front bumper cover, hood, and fender. I was going around a sharp curve the road was wet/oily and the front end went straight. It really sucks man, Good Luck with everything.
Old 08-16-2004, 06:46 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dont you hate that feeling you get when somthing like that happens and all you can think about is 5 minutes before when everything was just perfect? i HATE that feeling, almost enough to get rid of the car before i have to feel it again (had a tire/rim fly off).
Old 08-16-2004, 08:48 PM
11 Second Club

myblackss,
sorry to hear that hope everything works out on the cheap end for you. You cant really see it in the picks but my fender and bumper have several cracks so im sure i will need a new one. someone told me i could use some kind of plastick glue but i dont know what kind of long term that would have.

Theblurls1,
yes, i always think well what if i had took a little longer getting there or got there faster or if we had raced from a dig, ect....
Old 08-16-2004, 08:50 PM
Launching!

man that sucks
Old 08-16-2004, 09:36 PM
On The Tree

I feel your pain.
Old 08-17-2004, 09:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

sorry to hear what happend, but i cant even spin my tires one bit, unless its wet out, i think from the cutout i dont have enough low end tq to make them spin, i cant spin around corners either so no fishtailing for me! U think with all this tq you should be able to spin them at will, and you cant, lol. oh well. Good luck with the car!
Old 08-17-2004, 11:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

when I put mine in a ditch (dont comment on that, Ive learned my lesson) I had to go through all the stages you are going thru now. First there is the disbelief, then the regret, then the looking-for-solutions, then the actual work. DONT CUT CORNERS by just using putty, especially not on cracked bod panels, you will regret it in the future. Just order new panels/fender/hood off the internet, and then have them color matched by a local body shop. Do it right the first time and that way you wont have to replace the panels later.

Trust me on this!
Old 08-17-2004, 11:40 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 92SilverSHO
sorry to hear what happend, but i cant even spin my tires one bit, unless its wet out, i think from the cutout i dont have enough low end tq to make them spin, i cant spin around corners either so no fishtailing for me! U think with all this tq you should be able to spin them at will, and you cant, lol. oh well. Good luck with the car!
I think you have a major problem somewhere or you have some tires that i want. I have headers+ory+lm which is louder than my friends car with the same setup except flowmasters and a cutout. Both of us spin a lot, obviously i do. And both of our cars are very free flowing? Are you running good times?
Old 08-17-2004, 08:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Tiger2o69

Any body shop guys out there know about how much this looks like. Considering i took out the sign and it went like 30 yards i think the car took it well. I cant believe the air bags didnt deploy.
Hey Tiger, sorry to hear about your wreck, glad you are ok. Once again, the same thing happened to me about 3 years ago or so. Short story..cold night, corner, middle apex-hit gas...lost traction...found curb then wooden post.

I had alot of damage, only cost 1150 for me to fix, but I had to replace parts of the unibody.

You live in MS, so look towards the Jackson area for a good bodyshop. They should beable to sand, repair and paint all car damaged parts for around 500. The fiberglass can be repaired really easily and contrary to popular belief, it holds up prob better than when original. I would look in the phone book and I-net for a bodyshope and then find one that has the best rep.

I live in alabama and could give you some good places around here, but it is prob a ways from you.

Anyways, good luck and hope you learned something from this (not preaching, just being optimestic).

James
Old 08-17-2004, 08:38 PM
Teching In

It doesnt look all that bad. I did alot worse submarining under a SUVs bumper going 5 mph with my 98 SS. Your damage looks alot more cosmetics then replacement parts. The nose comes right off and the fenders have a few bolts and plenty of adjustment space. Dont sweat it. 1 word of advice take off or readjust the left front fender before the door really does some damage rubbing when you open and close the door.
Old 08-18-2004, 11:11 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

was i seeing things or did someone wit a LS1 Z28 up there just say he can't spin the tires..even going around corners..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-18-2004, 11:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by msbz_ls1
was i seeing things or did someone wit a LS1 Z28 up there just say he can't spin the tires..even going around corners..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm thinking something isn't right there too. I have the 2.73's, and even I can light the hell outa them on the turns. Straight line is just a little squeeky, nothing too dramatic. But in the turns, it's so loose its freeky. To the poster. You have the LT's and ORY... What set-up did you go w/ (if you already said, sorry, but the question just hit me and I'm too lazy to go back to check, the re-type my post.)
Old 08-18-2004, 11:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Damn, I knew it'd be in your sig.... Oh well, disregard my last.

Last edited by CaptUSA; 08-18-2004 at 11:47 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-19-2004, 12:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i just got my car back after cracking the bumper and fender. had to repaint the hood and driver door. total $2,662.
Old 08-20-2004, 04:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by CaptUSA
I'm thinking something isn't right there too. I have the 2.73's, and even I can light the hell outa them on the turns. Straight line is just a little squeeky, nothing too dramatic.
I know this is way off topic but....I can burn my tires pretty freakin good w/2:73's in a straght line
Old 08-20-2004, 06:23 PM
11 Second Club

Been off at college with no internet yet . It looks comsetic but there are several cracks in the bumper and the fender so im just going to replace them. Thanks for all the comments.