New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which is faster? SS or WS6?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2004, 01:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

According to "Motor Trend" and "Car and Driver" and pretty much every other test that was professionally made the WS6 edged the SS in 0 to 60 and quarter mile times by about 2 tenths of a second or more.
I personally have raced an SS and z-28 and have won each and every time. These are actual races due to my long experience with these type of cars I use to own a 95 firehawk and now I own a 2k2 WS6. Which makes me a veteran in the f-body world.
I have witnessed, my brother whom owns a 97 Trans Am with an LT1 and has beaten new LS1 z28's. I know you guys are going to say that is B.S. but take it from a guy who has vast experience and knowledge about these cars.
I do not know why the current ws6 is a little bit faster event if it weight a little bit more than an SS, since an LS1 is an LS1. Take the way you want to but this is the way it is and there is no other way.
This is just the way god made it to be for all of us.
Old 08-25-2004, 01:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MetallicBluews6
I have witnessed, my brother whom owns a 97 Trans Am with an LT1 and has beaten new LS1 z28's.
That would be a bad driver..since as you said...you know about F-body's...stock for stock...there is no way the LT1 would beat the LS1 (0-30 maybe..the LT1's low end)

I do not know why the current ws6 is a little bit faster event if it weight a little bit more than an SS, since an LS1 is an LS1. Take the way you want to but this is the way it is and there is no other way.
I have witnessed the opposite. I raced an 01 SS vs an 02 WS6 and the SS won. Wanna know why? The driver of the SS was better. The WS6 hood is of course better than the SS...so it has a tiny bit of an advantage..but not .2 seconds. The fastest SS is the same as the fastest WS6 in stock form. Don't the chrome WS6 wheels way more than the Chrome ZR1's

Stories are of course meaningless, the facts remain that neither are faster because they are the same car.

-Todd
Old 08-25-2004, 01:56 PM
10 Second Club

Received 138 Likes on 91 Posts

My best friend has a 99 SS and I have a 01 WS6. The weight between the two is less than 70 lbs. So it is up to who is the better driver. My WS6 dynoed 309 at the rear wheels and his SS dynoed 292. I won more than I lost to him but it always came down to who drove his ride the best in the race.
Now is a little bit different story. I have all the mods in the sig, and he has lid, Borla, tuning. He is trying to catch up.
Old 08-25-2004, 07:43 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by WS6 #4541
My best friend has a 99 SS and I have a 01 WS6. The weight between the two is less than 70 lbs. So it is up to who is the better driver. My WS6 dynoed 309 at the rear wheels and his SS dynoed 292. I won more than I lost to him but it always came down to who drove his ride the best in the race.
Now is a little bit different story. I have all the mods in the sig, and he has lid, Borla, tuning. He is trying to catch up.
And with yours being an 01, you have the LS6 intake which helps out a bit up top.

OTOH, i've raced both my buddies with WS6's. One has a 00 T/A WS6 and the other has a 99 Forumla WS6. I'm still faster than the T/A, and I was faster than the Formula until he got his G5X3.

So are we magazine racing now?
Old 08-25-2004, 08:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

According to "Motor Trend" and "Car and Driver" and pretty much every other test that was professionally made the WS6 edged the SS in 0 to 60 and quarter mile times by about 2 tenths of a second or more.
I personally have raced an SS and z-28 and have won each and every time. These are actual races due to my long experience with these type of cars I use to own a 95 firehawk and now I own a 2k2 WS6. Which makes me a veteran in the f-body world.
I have witnessed, my brother whom owns a 97 Trans Am with an LT1 and has beaten new LS1 z28's. I know you guys are going to say that is B.S. but take it from a guy who has vast experience and knowledge about these cars.
Uhhh, i hope your joking?? First off, u are NOT a veteran because u have had 2 fbodys (whoo hoo ) ...."this is the way it is and there is no other way" U are an IDIOT. just like everyone else said, a ls1 is a ls1 (same year mind you) just because u have a ss or a ws6 doesn't make u superior to the other one....what a moran.

Dave
Old 08-25-2004, 08:22 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

wow, this thread is still going...
Old 08-25-2004, 10:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey I guess I am the Idiot that purchased an F-body. Oh well. In no way shape or form do I or am I trashing a SS or saying that it is not as equal to the WS6. It is just mind boggling that in some way or another it has been tested by myself on the street track and magazines to have a higher horsepower ratings and faster 0 to 60 and quarte mile time. Hey If there is any constalation I love SS to death as well. Beleive me when I say that I was not trying to bash an SS or say that it is inferior.
I am not an idiot or a moron either. Hey we can all post what ever we want. So here goes I am not just some ignorant ranting and raving you reading this post from someone who was giving research and findings that is all.
Old 08-25-2004, 11:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jrp
wow, this thread is still going...

Old 08-25-2004, 11:29 PM
TECH Resident

hahaha @ this tread i believe that WS-6 and the SS is about the same...and ppl who says...regular Z28 and TA beating WS-6 and SS is a lie~~~ given same driver and same tranny... WS-6 and SS will always beat z28 and TA...unless there is a FACTORY FREAK...
Old 08-25-2004, 11:48 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this is for tx_ss

there must be alot of factory freaks then

your lieing to yourself if you actually believe that - the 02 ws6 i ran had a holley powershot filter and i had a k&n at the time...other than that, our cars were factory. the guy driving the ws6 was no little kid either - he never missed a beat.

....oh yeah mine even had clogmaster exhaust thanx to the woman i got it from.
Old 08-25-2004, 11:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TX_SS
hahaha @ this tread i believe that WS-6 and the SS is about the same...and ppl who says...regular Z28 and TA beating WS-6 and SS is a lie~~~ given same driver and same tranny... WS-6 and SS will always beat z28 and TA...unless there is a FACTORY FREAK...

sigh....................

-Todd
Old 08-26-2004, 12:15 AM
TECH Junkie

Your ignorance makes the baby jesus cry, please stop now.
Old 08-26-2004, 12:43 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i couldn't have said it better...
Old 08-26-2004, 01:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

I cant belive people actually belive that pannels on the outside of the car can make the car faster. Someone close this thread....this is rediculous....
Old 08-26-2004, 07:23 AM
Launching!

Cool "Motorweek"

Motorweek reviewed both cars in episode 2148:

2002 Chevrolet Camaro & Pontiac Firebird
Old 08-26-2004, 08:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

"EPA Mileage
18 mpg city
25 mpg highway

18 mpg city
26 mpg highway "

YAY EPA.
Old 08-26-2004, 08:04 AM
TECH Addict

These cars all have the same engine (basically - ls1 intake vs ls6 intake or cam change or ram air or whatever).

And most everyone on the site has modifications to there rides.

So, it is pretty pointless comparing these vehicles stock for stock. Once you start modding the playing field changes fast.

Point is, I bought my car for its price and history, and PERSONAL opinions.

Let's keep it cool since, if you have a 4 th Gen F-Body LS1, we all have the same awesome rides.
Old 08-26-2004, 08:08 AM
STF Veteran

"They" claim the reason the WS6 edged out the SS was because the WS6 ram air hood is more efficient that the SS hood.
Otherwise they are dead even. It is a drivers race.
Old 08-26-2004, 08:11 AM
TECH Resident

My dad can beat up your dad...

This is ridiculous, I am an SS owner have been beaten by many a Z. I have beaten Zs. T/As have beaten me, I have beaten T/As. I have beaten WS6, WS6 has beaten me. I own an LT1 Z, and even with the upgraded tranny and light mods it had before it couldn't hold a candle to the LS1. I'm glad the voice of experience explained the truth about our beloved F-bodies. The car is the same, driver is different, personal conflicts could have your mind wandering that extra .05 sec at the track and BOOM a loss. Now my wife's 95 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4...that will beat all.
Old 08-26-2004, 08:34 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

You're embarrassing yourself. Please stop.

Quick Reply: Which is faster? SS or WS6?