New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fast toys ram air vs free ram air?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2004, 07:27 AM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've noticed about 1-2mph increase in my trap speeds at the track with the SSRA. Those things (cold air scoops) help.
Old 09-01-2004, 12:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ I just did the FRA mod yesterday, and found that above 60 m.p.h., the car really seems to rip to 100 a lot quicker (didn't go past that). Now it may have been a mentality thing, but it really did seem quicker to 100. What's your opinion on the FRA. Same effect for the most part? People told me it was worth the work, and I'll see Friday night if it helps any. I just have a feeling that my trap speeds are gonna be a little higher.
Old 09-01-2004, 12:49 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FTRA is worth it.
Old 09-01-2004, 12:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

U can pick up the FTRA in the used section for $90-$100 used all the time. I think I paid $90 for mine. FTRA is a definate improvement over FRA.
Old 09-01-2004, 12:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well I plan on doing the BG Ram Air kit to utilize my hood nostrils, so I'll basically have the SSRA or FTRA effect, just goind straight into my hood/intake instead of under the car and up into the intake. Hopefully my FRA combined with the BGRA will be a pretty nice combo. After all that and smooth bellows, I plan on getting the LS6 intake to complete my induction mods.
Old 09-01-2004, 01:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

that's awesome, but i doubt the regular guy can make that if it took your father who's got years of experience in metal fabrication....5-6 hours.

once again, that looks great.
Old 09-01-2004, 03:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

If you don't have a lid or K&N, you can get a bundle deal from Tbyrne for like $220 for all of it. I got that and love it. It's the SLP CAI, but it's basically identical to FTRA.
Old 09-01-2004, 04:42 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by skunk50
that's awesome, but i doubt the regular guy can make that if it took your father who's got years of experience in metal fabrication....5-6 hours.

once again, that looks great.
The reason I say it took me 5-6 hours is because I took my air box assembly apart & started measuring things out and thinking on what would work. Then I had to measure & mark all the peaces onto the aluminum sheets I got. I spent a couple of hours doing just that.

I still don’t plan on making them to sell right now though. I got the idea from the FTRA from a picture I seen online. But I think this one is different. I made the opening at the bottom a little longer & opened it up to grab more air. I think the FTRA stays the same width all the way down to the cars support for the front bumper. Mine is aluminum there’s stainless steel I think. And the air opening doesn’t look centered inside the air box on their pic (maybe camera angel?) I made this one maximize the whole space possible in the air box. Then I tucked the lower back aluminum peace behind the air dam to make it look better & less recognizable.

I still have some of the measurements written down but not all of them. I can try to make a drawing of the three parts and anyone interested can use it as a guide of sorts if they want to make their own?
Old 09-01-2004, 10:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Logic
I still have some of the measurements written down but not all of them. I can try to make a drawing of the three parts and anyone interested can use it as a guide of sorts if they want to make their own?

Do a How-To. Constrictor or JmX could host it.
Old 09-02-2004, 12:37 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

first i want to say awsome work. next, if u have a WS6 stay away from the FRA,FTRA,SSRA or what not and go with the BGRA to utilize the nostrils. plus your airbox will be sealed drawing ONLY air through the nostrils. having both is somewhat contradictive.
Old 09-02-2004, 05:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

That look's great. The more you build the quicker you will be at building them.
Old 09-02-2004, 05:35 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Got it!

FTRA went on my T/A about 4 months ago. It feels much better (over my cut-out aribox) as I accelerate ... the faster the better. There is one drawback if you live in a hot climate like here in Florida. FTRA instructions tell you specifically that it may cause your engine to run hotter than usual.

I also have the 160 degree thermostat. It runs below the middle mark on my temp guage, except on the hottest days (above 90 degrees). On these hottest days or in heavy traffic, you will need a thermostat that is not the stock one IF you hotrod around town alot like I do. I know it's not my stock thermostat because I put the factory stock one back in and it ran even hotter. Immediately went back to the aftermarket.
Old 09-02-2004, 01:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

You guys DO know that there is a difference between FTRA and FRA right? Free ramair IS free (so long as you do it yourself), but the FTRA is a kit you have to buy
Old 09-02-2004, 01:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm a little confused here. Before I did the FRA mod, people were tellin' me it's totally worth it, etc, and now I'm reading posts that it isn't. Dammit. Why do I have all the luck...
Old 09-02-2004, 02:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Here you go ...

FRA ... cutting out the bottom panels from the bottom of your air box. It was a great mod ... pulls air from within the engine compartment and between the radiator and cooler (from the bottom). You have to cut a strip of plastic away from the housing that fits over the radiator there.

FTRA ... stands for Fast Toys Ram Air. It's an air duct that is made by FAST TOYS, Inc. ... generally from stainless steel sheet metal. It's better than the FRA because of several reasons. One reason is that it fits to seal the air box so that you have air pulled up from the bottom of the car only ... and it flows directly into the intake because the air box is sealed. As you go faster, it sorta' forces air into the intake. The results are often overstated, but, itis a dfference that's worth the money ... IMHO.
Old 09-12-2004, 12:53 PM
Teching In

Sweet. Now to come up with something that uses the Nostrils and the bottom.
Old 09-12-2004, 12:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Logic, man that thing kicks ***. You could definaly make some money off of those. If the price is right, I would buy one myself. I would seriously consider making those for some extra cash.
Old 09-12-2004, 09:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tweety2
Sweet. Now to come up with something that uses the Nostrils and the bottom.
That's kinda what I want to do. I already did the FRA, and I plan on getting the BGRA for my hood nostrils, so in a way I will have both; but to make it more effective I'll eventually buy a cheap FTRA or SSRA to go along with my BGRA.
Old 09-12-2004, 10:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by TransAm52804
That's kinda what I want to do. I already did the FRA, and I plan on getting the BGRA for my hood nostrils, so in a way I will have both; but to make it more effective I'll eventually buy a cheap FTRA or SSRA to go along with my BGRA.
You are not going to see the full benefit of the BGRA if you already have the FRA. The idea of converting to a "true ram air" like the SSRA, FTRA, or BGRA is that you completely seal the air box so air can only get in one way. If you have the BGRA you want the bottom of the air box sealed so that you only get cold air through the hood "nostrils" if you have a hole cut in bottom of your air box you are simply not taking advantage of converting your WS6 hood to trye ram air. Do one or the other, not both. If you have a WS6, or WS6 hood, do the BGRA, it is the better option for you.
Old 09-12-2004, 10:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^ Son of a bitch. I'm screwed now. How much would it cost for a new air box?