Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Everyone w/ steel braided brake lines, help

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2004, 10:44 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Everyone w/ steel braided brake lines, help

Hey guys I cracked my stock brake line tonight while putting in my hawk brake pads. As a result I decided to order steel braided brake lines from thunder racing. My question is, how much do you think it will cost to have a local shop install the new brake lines? The shop I usually go to has reasonable install prices, but I can't afford an outrageous price to have these lines installed. Thanks.
Old 09-02-2004, 10:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, when you say that you cracked a stock brake line, do you mean the fitting on the rubber line? Or you cracked the hard line? If it's the rubber line, then the SS lines will work, if you cracked the hard line, you're screwed. As far as installing them, I'm not sure of what the price would be, do you not feel comfortable doing it yourself?
Old 09-02-2004, 11:01 PM
Staging Lane

How can I tell if I cracked the rubber piece or the line? From what I can see it seems to be that the leak is coming from the metal line. Will the stainless steel lines not replace this cracked line? I'm confused and starting to think I just wasted money I don't have on stainless steel lines.
Old 09-02-2004, 11:49 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The s.s. braided lines only replace the rubber lines, i.e. from the hard line to the caliper. They just screw in so they're not that hard to install. You probably just broke a rubber one from flexing it too much.

You can't look to see were the fluid is coming from? If you did some how break a hard line the braided one won't help and I would think it wouldn't be cheap to fix, correctly.
Old 09-03-2004, 12:45 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 143 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Could you finish one thread before starting another on the same topic:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-owners-newbie-tech/211721-help-w-brake-install.html