would overheat all the time but if he had any
aptitude that all could've been fixed. Also seen
a Car Craft article or two in my time about bigger
swaps (even a 460 though that was a zero traction
proposition with the nose weight). The Fox has at
least a little room to spare. And a grand goes a
long way when headers are $149, a cam is 99 bucks
and good-enough heads are $500 a pair. Same kind
of deal on suspension, tranny, rear. Bargain basement.
Not to mention the used parts donor pool.

I wonder how many years it will be before the GenIII
motors enjoy the SBC/SBF kind of aftermarket pricing.
Hope it's not, like, 30 more....
Old 09-10-2004, 10:45 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think its cool that even most of the guys on the mustang forum are saying LS1. That should tell you something. I do like the 03 cobra but you said thats out. I think you will be happy with an LS1, I know I am.
Old 09-10-2004, 10:53 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmyblue
And a grand goes a
long way when headers are $149, a cam is 99 bucks
and good-enough heads are $500 a pair.
But it also yeilds less gains comparitively. When I had my 93 GT, I had a TFS intake sitting in my basement waiting for AFRs and an Ed Curtis cam that was in the works for a 306. Then I said screw it and bought my 01 Z because I knew I'd do bolt ons to a LS1 and I'd be running next to my GT all the while enjoying a car that **** isn't constantly needing tuned and looking dated (IMO anyway).
Old 09-11-2004, 04:04 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Originally Posted by BigBronco
just wait till you see the 347 i am building and i am not making it a high compression ls1 either ..... ahhh hmmmmmm cough *jrp* cough
you gonna blow it
Old 09-11-2004, 05:55 AM
TECH Addict

at least the ls1 handles pretty decent, won't wrap it around the street pole unless you try hard.
Old 09-11-2004, 08:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have all three currently in my driveway, so here's my advice... Figure out EXACTLY what you want to do with the car in question. Seriously, think long-term if you plan on hanging on to it. Having said that:
4.6-Smooth engine that responds well to FI. Even the 2vs put out nice power with an ATI kit... The engine is just as difficult to work on as a LS1 becuase of its size. This is a good street car with nice ergos (asides from the shifter position), great sound and solid (if pricey) aftermarket. No 6-speed option
LS1-My choice for a street/occasional track car. Huge power stock, does great N/A or on the squeeze, responds well to any mods due to awesome head set-up, big-brakes, T56 etc. Downsides are initial cost, iffy interior and ergos, hit-or-miss with FI, paper-mache 10-bolt. In my eyes, the LS1 F-body was the best performance bargain since the 5.0, which is why I bought one.
5.0-light, huge aftermarket and cheap. Want a track terror on the cheap? Here's your ride. Even as a street-only bolt-on car, they are plenty fun. Down-sides are brakes?, 4-lug, dated interior, flimsy factory suspension and marginal handling. Plusses include 8.8, easiest engine to work on since the 1970s and infinite combinations for speed.
Good luck and PM me if you have any detailed questions.
Old 09-11-2004, 10:35 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Originally Posted by samz28
at least the ls1 handles pretty decent, won't wrap it around the street pole unless you try hard.
Isn't that the truth... I won't try to explain the 3 Stalker bumpers I put on my 93

Originally Posted by Benjamin Russick
I have all three currently in my driveway, so here's my advice... Figure out EXACTLY what you want to do with the car in question. Seriously, think long-term if you plan on hanging on to it. Having said that:
4.6-Smooth engine that responds well to FI. Even the 2vs put out nice power with an ATI kit... The engine is just as difficult to work on as a LS1 becuase of its size. This is a good street car with nice ergos (asides from the shifter position), great sound and solid (if pricey) aftermarket. No 6-speed option
LS1-My choice for a street/occasional track car. Huge power stock, does great N/A or on the squeeze, responds well to any mods due to awesome head set-up, big-brakes, T56 etc. Downsides are initial cost, iffy interior and ergos, hit-or-miss with FI, paper-mache 10-bolt. In my eyes, the LS1 F-body was the best performance bargain since the 5.0, which is why I bought one.
5.0-light, huge aftermarket and cheap. Want a track terror on the cheap? Here's your ride. Even as a street-only bolt-on car, they are plenty fun. Down-sides are brakes?, 4-lug, dated interior, flimsy factory suspension and marginal handling. Plusses include 8.8, easiest engine to work on since the 1970s and infinite combinations for speed.
Good luck and PM me if you have any detailed questions.
Very good synopsis. I would have to agree with just about everything. I have owned both, and have one good friend that is all into his 2V GT and i've driven several others (haven't got to drive a 4V though). The 4.6 is a very smooth engine. The LS1 is too when compared to the 5.0. As you mentioned, I had the seating position and shifter position in the Mustang. Everything in the f-body just feels right to me. Even my 89 IROC just felt like I had everything within reach all the while I was maintaining a very comfortable driving position. I always felt like I was on top of my Mustang, rather than being in it.

The 94-04 Mustangs aren't any more comfortable. I feel even more closed in and uncomfortable in them. Their biggest pluses are the 5 lug 4 wheel disc, and electric fan. The updated interior and exterior are things that are arguable upgrades for certain people.

I tried the Mustang and it didn't give me what I wanted. Sure, an 03/04 would give more performance than I have now, but it'd still be an uncomfortable ride.
Old 09-13-2004, 07:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Another plus for the Stangs is the factory true-dual and, IMO, better factory stereo options. I still would take the LS1 easily if given the option...
Old 09-13-2004, 10:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

Another plus for the Stangs is the factory true-dual and, IMO, better factory stereo options. I still would take the LS1 easily if given the option...
Thats true but honestly the t/a with just a crappy flowmaster had a deeper, louder rumble than my o/r h-pipe, flowmaster 5.0. I'm still tryin to decide what to do right now, already got the loan from the bank just gotta make a decision...offered $11,500 but they want budge from $12,100+ttt, I'm just gonna say $12,000 out the door.
Old 09-13-2004, 10:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

How does the paint hold up on fbodies? The car I'm lookin at has the evironmental protection package which was $595, don't know if it's any good though.
Old 09-13-2004, 10:29 AM
TECH Resident

i was in the same boat a year ago, i wanted a 5.0 or a trans am. never thought i could afford a LS1, until i found my car for the price i got it for. if you wanna drag car, get the 5.0 If you want a badass streetcar and some of the best looks of any car in the world imo, get the trans am. also gotta think about how much you wanna put into it. trans am would be a better daily driver while 5.0 would be alot cheaper to mod however you start with less power.
Old 09-13-2004, 11:29 AM
TECH Junkie

If you want to race a lot, get the 5.0

If you want to cruise in style with a lot of power (in stock form) get the LS1.

Something else, if you get the LS1, will you be financing it? If so that means you will have to carry full coverage insurance, which along with a car payment, leaves you with a monthly burden 9even if you can easily aford your car and insurance it is still a pain in the *** to give your hard earned money to a bank.) It looks like you already have the 5.0, if that is the case i would stick with what you already have. You know forged 331 and 347 short blocks aren't very expensive these days...
Old 09-13-2004, 01:49 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since march of 2003 I've had three "sports cars", two mustangs and a 2000 Z28. First was a '96 GT (mistake) traded it in on the Z . I still had the mustang itch so I bought my wife a 2000 GT. To make this short, the Z was the bad boy of the bunch and the wife's stang is sold.

LS1 cost more but you get more out of it in stock form and I drive mine 30 miles a day in traffic and still get aprox. 290 mile to a tank.
Old 09-13-2004, 05:22 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

The only thing you're gaining with the true dual is the sound. I think the Monsoon is just as nice as the Mach 460.

Originally Posted by mattkimsey
How does the paint hold up on fbodies? The car I'm lookin at has the evironmental protection package which was $595, don't know if it's any good though.
Don't buy into that garbage. Paint on newer vehicles will last due to the clear. Regular washing and waxing is key though. When comparing Ford to Chevrolet paints, I'm sure you're not gaining any over the other.

Originally Posted by thebernsZ28
Since march of 2003 I've had three "sports cars", two mustangs and a 2000 Z28. First was a '96 GT (mistake) traded it in on the Z . I still had the mustang itch so I bought my wife a 2000 GT. To make this short, the Z was the bad boy of the bunch and the wife's stang is sold.

LS1 cost more but you get more out of it in stock form and I drive mine 30 miles a day in traffic and still get aprox. 290 mile to a tank.
Since we're bring up past purchases, I've had:

89 IROC-Z 5.7 (16)
93 GT (18)
01 Z28 (20)
00 SS - Current (21)

Obivously you can tell which I've favored.
Old 09-14-2004, 08:55 AM
z98
TECH Fanatic

Since all you're looking for is a low-mid 12's car daily driver, the LS1 wins hands down.

Now if you wanted to run 9's, I'd be saying 5.0 all the way. With bolt on's, DR's, and a cam you might touch 11's with a good track/air in a perfectly streetable car without too much invested.