Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sleeper mods?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2004, 01:45 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by unit213
I think you meant to say it's NOT worth changing gears in an A4 with 3.23's. If so, I agree. There's no point. Guys run 10's with them. You can't get more sleeper than an LS6 cam really. Nitrous is a bit much IMO if you're trying to hide mods. It can get you in trouble and if you're under your parents roof that may be trouble you don't need.
Yes, ment that I would NOT change gears.

Would you really go with teh LS6 cam? I would think thats a lot of trouble for a little gain.

May be more of a gain than I think but I know a guy who SAYS he has one in his car and is quite slow.

Is it really true that most a4s dont break rears? I have been letting it go easy off the line 2.0 60's because I cant afford a new rear at this point.

I have been wanting stomp the gas on take off I did set up my gears myself which also scares me considering I have never did anything mechanical till i got this car.
Old 09-20-2004, 01:54 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tiger2o69
Yes, ment that I would NOT change gears.

Would you really go with teh LS6 cam? I would think thats a lot of trouble for a little gain.

May be more of a gain than I think but I know a guy who SAYS he has one in his car and is quite slow.

Is it really true that most a4s dont break rears? I have been letting it go easy off the line 2.0 60's because I cant afford a new rear at this point.

I have been wanting stomp the gas on take off I did set up my gears myself which also scares me considering I have never did anything mechanical till i got this car.
Tiger - I personally wouldn't do an LS6 cam. It's too much work for little gain, but it offers some power over the stock cam and no one will know it's there. You can get one for damn near free and they are easy to install if you do it yourself.

As for the A4 rear ends, I've run tons of bottles of nitrous (150 shot) through my old A4 LS1 (stock 10 bolt with 3.23's) and I had zero problems. The converter absorbs a lot of the shock as opposed to a M6 car. So let her rip!

Last edited by unit213; 09-20-2004 at 02:00 PM.
Old 09-20-2004, 02:05 PM
Staging Lane

Probably going to get ripped on for saying this, but why do you feel the NEED to modify your car, especially against the specific wishes of people giving you room and board? You already have a nicer car that most 18 yr olds and it's not exactly slow in it's current state. Consider leaving the car alone and improving on your driving skills with some auto x or strip days in it's stock form. Doesn't have to be the fastest thing on 4 wheels to be fun, and it's much easier on the pocketbook.

That being said. If you HAVE to do mods, do the suspension.
Old 09-20-2004, 02:43 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by TYR_FRYR
Probably going to get ripped on for saying this, but why do you feel the NEED to modify your car, especially against the specific wishes of people giving you room and board? You already have a nicer car that most 18 yr olds and it's not exactly slow in it's current state. Consider leaving the car alone and improving on your driving skills with some auto x or strip days in it's stock form. Doesn't have to be the fastest thing on 4 wheels to be fun, and it's much easier on the pocketbook.

That being said. If you HAVE to do mods, do the suspension.
I have a friend with a gt and his parents are the same way. He is 20 and goes to college but he parents wont let him do anything to his car. We all meet up on the weekends and he is miserable. I know he shouldnt have gotten a gt to begin with but he could at least mod it up a bit the imports are started to beat him. I feel bad for him, I remember when i was the only one stock out there and it sucked losing.

Now I am happy because im the fastest out there . Well, transam02 may suprise me next weekend at the track But at least I can beat all the imports.
Old 09-20-2004, 03:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by THECowboy
i was looking to try and find some sleeper mods. If my parents find out i did anything to my car while i live under their roof, it's either get rid of the car or get a new home(i am 18)

i already plan on doing a E-cutout, but how much of a difference will headers make? and can you tell with the stock exhaust? what other mods are out there?

i already plan on gettin a lid and a ram air kit or should i get the FIPK?

thanks for all the help!

where abouts in texas are you from?

now my bright idea: ask your parents to buy you a muffler for christmas. tell them you just want your car to sound better. all the while save up for headers and ypipe. have it all thrown on the same time after christmas and have them marvel at how loud a muffler made your car! unless they are pretty car savvy i think they will fall for it.
Old 09-20-2004, 06:01 PM
11 Second Club

I saw this comming.
A ported stock maf is great till you have to tune it. If you do the resistor mod to the maf you will see gains both on the dyno and at the track, however, when you go to tune the car, the ported maf can not be used without tons of tuning and configuring. I spent $50 for a ported stocker and love it. When I get HP tuner I will go back to stock or an adjusted 85mm. Oh, some autos don't like the ported maf. I'm M6 so I am unsure of the years so search for it before doing this.
Old 09-20-2004, 06:10 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bads02Z28
I saw this comming.
A ported stock maf is great till you have to tune it. If you do the resistor mod to the maf you will see gains both on the dyno and at the track, however, when you go to tune the car, the ported maf can not be used without tons of tuning and configuring. I spent $50 for a ported stocker and love it. When I get HP tuner I will go back to stock or an adjusted 85mm. Oh, some autos don't like the ported maf. I'm M6 so I am unsure of the years so search for it before doing this.
Ported MAF is a no no IMO especially in an A4. The "resistor mod" aka timing tricker is a joke.
Old 09-20-2004, 06:36 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by luvmeZ28
where abouts in texas are you from?

now my bright idea: ask your parents to buy you a muffler for christmas. tell them you just want your car to sound better. all the while save up for headers and ypipe. have it all thrown on the same time after christmas and have them marvel at how loud a muffler made your car! unless they are pretty car savvy i think they will fall for it.
My friend just put a complete hooker exuast on and his is quite. If he could get them to let him have an exhaust he could probably get away with headers if he got something restrictive and used a cutout.
Old 09-20-2004, 09:14 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by unit213
Ported MAF is a no no IMO especially in an A4. The "resistor mod" aka timing tricker is a joke.
Well it works for me. I have gone between the stock and ported maf many times to see the difference since doughters like you frowned on it. Deffinate SOP difference. But like I said, A4s and cars that need tuning this is no good. I don't have dynos or time slips becouse I don't visit the track or dyno enough to try it. I don't have an SES light, the car gets good mileage, and it's strong. Last time I checked you had an '03 Cobra Mr. 8,813 posts.
Old 09-20-2004, 10:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bads02Z28
Well it works for me. I have gone between the stock and ported maf many times to see the difference since doughters like you frowned on it. Deffinate SOP difference. But like I said, A4s and cars that need tuning this is no good. I don't have dynos or time slips becouse I don't visit the track or dyno enough to try it. I don't have an SES light, the car gets good mileage, and it's strong. Last time I checked you had an '03 Cobra Mr. 8,813 posts.
yikes

just to throw in my .02, i read on here all the time, and for every one person i find in favor of a MAF i probably find 75 griping about it.

on guard!
Old 09-20-2004, 10:47 PM
12 Second Club

The "resistor mod" aka timing tricker is a joke.
Unit I think he means the the resistor mod you do to the MAF to bring your LTFT's back to the negative range. I did this and it did work but my LTFT's were -10 to -15. I got too much ping with this and a predator tune so I went back to stock descreened MAF ends. Though my LTFT's are still -15, probably because of headers and dead O2's. I would never recommend anyone port their MAF or take the screen out. JMHO
Old 09-20-2004, 11:25 PM
TECH Junkie

There are a couple other "stealthy" cams I have heard about, but I cant think of which ones off the top of my head. How long before you go to Florida? If its not all that long, then I would say wait it out, as TYR_FRYR mentioned. Is it really worth getting your car taken away and sold, or getting kicked out of the house so you can shave a few tenths off your 1/4 mile time? Think long and hard before you go ahead and do that. Good luck though if you choose to mod, and I think suspension is a good place to start as well...
Old 09-20-2004, 11:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Suspension would definitley be the best way to go. Dear John was in the 12's with pretty much a lid, a catback and full suspension.
Old 09-20-2004, 11:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

I wouldn't go with the suspension mods for a stock LS1 driven by a teen. Bro, short of SFC's, you will not FEEL the benefits of suspension mods. Get the lid, headers, gears, and stall. Those will make a seat of the pants difference...very noticeable.
Old 09-20-2004, 11:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TYR_FRYR
Probably going to get ripped on for saying this, but why do you feel the NEED to modify your car, especially against the specific wishes of people giving you room and board? Doesn't have to be the fastest thing on 4 wheels to be fun, and it's much easier on the pocketbook.
Dude, don't fill his head with those lies, lol. It makes sense that a stock LS1 is definitely fast, but speed numbs you. I went from a high 14 sec third gen (sig) to a low 12 sec LS1 Formula. Thought the Formula was the greatest thing in the world back then, now to me it's just another slow f-body.
Old 09-20-2004, 11:42 PM
Staging Lane

I agree have to agree with Unit. The maf is a total waste of money, I only had mine on for 3 days and then went back to stock .
Old 09-20-2004, 11:50 PM
FormerVendor

firehawk exhaust, stealth II cam, longtubes/hiflow catted pipes, ls6 manifold, 3.73's if auto, 4.10's if m6, hidden NITROUS
Old 09-21-2004, 02:27 AM
z98
TECH Fanatic

I don't agree with spending big bucks on your suspension first.

Its not as if you have DR's to take advantage of it anyway, and I guarantee you'll be faster in the 1/4 with bolt ons instead of suspension work.
Old 09-21-2004, 03:11 AM
TECH Regular

many questions to answer:

I was born in Houston, moved to NJ when i was 5

I am moving to Florida next year oryear after that

Won't a TC have a really big diiference in feel? My parents sometimes ride in it and if it feels a hell of a lot different then i can't do it

Whoever made a comment on Unit havin a Cobra, he had a LS1 before that and i think it is cool he still posts and helps here

I guess i'll do headers w/ cut-out first. will a dual cut-outs fit b4 the Cats? Or should i put it after the Cats? I have read a lot of mixed reviews on both ways. I plan on gettin the Street Pro cut-out(s) and Jet Hot headers and keep the stock exhaust

Unit- Will headers make that much a noise difference even with the stock cat-back?

Gettin a lid before winter and maybe even real ram air

As for suspension, i will just get the SFC's and Torque Arm with some decent all season tires since i still have to deal with snow

i am pretty happy with how it stock too, i took my friend in his Evo VIII from 60-120 and then later that day at the track he pulled a 12.8 out of his *** while i spun and ran a slow 13.8(almost a half second slower than before)

all hell will break loose when i go to Daytona Beach, Florida for school though, and the job i hope to get after will pay for it all!

I would just like to thank all of you for your help, everyone here on the boards are always helpful, from when i joined to over a year later, thanks again!

Last edited by THECowboy; 09-21-2004 at 03:17 AM.
Old 09-21-2004, 09:09 AM
11 Second Club

Don't do the torque arm. You only bennefit from those with big power. LCAs are what you need, especially if you get a stall. With the right street TC, your parents will never know. You can get one with PT and WOT stalls. For example, PT stall=2200 and WOT=3200 then lock up at cruising speed. With a stock exhaust no one will know. I know Unit had an LS1 and that his current ride rocks and he has a lot of knowledge and experiance of the sport. I am just supporting what I experienced. Obviously the MAF doesn't work for all (not too many really) so don't do it. But I don't rant BS when it comes to this stuff. I rant what works. Just trying to help out a fellow LS1 owner.
Peace

Quick Reply: Sleeper mods?