New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

running a little rough, need input on the situation.

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2004, 06:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question running a little rough, need input on the situation.

I think its a plug causing the problems, but I am looking for a second opinion.

Alright here are the issues. First off while I am at a constant cruising speed (whether in cruise control or not), I will feel a slight bump resulting in a very minimal loss of power then a minimal surge in power back up to regular output. It isnt really noticeable expect to me and my friends who know cars. Anyone I have asked if they could feel that has said no, unless they have some automotive knowledge. Secondly, while idleing I can feel a slight 'bump' that feels kinda like I have a cam (thats the only way I can think of to describe it). It seems to be everytime it hits a specific cylinder. I can roughly tell this because of the fact that it is very evenly spaced out. Sometimes the idleing issue is really bad, other times it is hardly noticeable.

***addition*** my idle is at a constant 800ish rpm, so it idles fine. Even when its rough, the idleing dosnt drop at all.

What could be causing these problems? I have about 51K on it right now, and to my knowledge it has original plugs. I've only had the car for a year in 3 weeks. I think I just need to replace the plugs, but if someone could give me some input I would really appreciate it.

Thanx
Fry

Last edited by frey51; 10-03-2004 at 06:40 PM.
Old 10-03-2004, 08:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Nobody can help? or is everyone eatin dinner, spending time with their families, or being lazy? All this while I am at work, for shame?

Fry
Old 10-03-2004, 08:12 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

maybe your car grew a cam ...

do you have auto tap? could be alot of things... could be nothing at all(just you being more sencitive to your car) is there anything else thats acting up?

only thing i can think of to help is make an auto tap run and log info to see if anything is outa wak
Old 10-03-2004, 09:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

No I dont have auto tap....but my buddy has hp tuners, can we use that to find out if there is an problem?

Fry
Old 10-04-2004, 05:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

No one else has any help on this? I guess I just need to get myself some plugs and wires.

Fry
Old 10-04-2004, 06:09 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by frey51
No one else has any help on this? I guess I just need to get myself some plugs and wires.

Fry
did you check see your spark plug wire may have came off.do you have ses.light on?
Old 10-04-2004, 06:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have an ses light, but its from my secondary air system being disconected....not throwing any other codes.

Fry
Old 10-04-2004, 07:38 PM
Teching In

I have an ses light, but its from my secondary air system being disconected....not throwing any other codes.

Fry
are you hearing any tapping in the eng. poss.push rod they will bend easily at about 6000rpm.you may be right on the plugs .i have burned some plug on mine before it never pop a code either.
Old 10-04-2004, 10:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

I will ocasionaly get some piston slap on a really cold start. Along with the fact that two of my idler pullies bearings are going bad and making noises too. But nothing out of the ordinary other than what I described before.

Thanks for the help...I am gonna try to do my plugs next weekend cuz I am out of town this weekend for the STEELERS GAME.

Fry
Old 10-04-2004, 11:57 PM
Teching In

I will ocasionaly get some piston slap on a really cold start. Along with the fact that two of my idler pullies bearings are going bad and making noises too. But nothing out of the ordinary other than what I described before.

Thanks for the help...I am gonna try to do my plugs next weekend cuz I am out of town this weekend for the STEELERS GAME.

Fry
its sounds like it may be a fuel problem .possible o2 or injecter cogged i would try some BG injecter cleaner.also you might check your injecter connectors you never know one loose.its worth a check.unless you are running nos. or a internal problem the plug are good for 100,000 miles.
Old 10-05-2004, 12:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

I will toss in a bottle of cleaner on my next fill up, I didnt think about that. As for plugs lasting for 100K, I tdont think that is true. Our stock plugs are iridium coated, and iridium coated plugs tend to burn up quicker than say the tr5's. so in other words I have heard teh plugs usually go bad around 50-70K and I just hit 50 two weeks ago.
Old 10-07-2004, 12:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

I am at 65k, original plugs and wires, and occasionally have a rougher idle, no lights, sometimes idle is slightly erractic will be idling at 500 and will change +/- 50 rpm, you can tell as the oil pressure fluctuates. I think the car needs plugs, but also recently I did an induction service, so I may have fouled a plug slightly. Nothing to be worried about, just annoying. If anyone says anything......its a WS6, big cam ......
Old 10-11-2004, 11:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

I will toss in a bottle of cleaner on my next fill up, I didnt think about that. As for plugs lasting for 100K, I tdont think that is true. Our stock plugs are iridium coated, and iridium coated plugs tend to burn up quicker than say the tr5's. so in other words I have heard teh plugs usually go bad around 50-70K and I just hit 50 two weeks ago.

Hey do you know of a place in VA to get some SFC's welded in?
Old 10-12-2004, 03:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm assuming that Fred. VA means Fredricksburg right? Not Frederick county? If its fredericksburg there is a place in Woodbridge that I have heard of. But the best place to find nova, va, and other east coast informatoin would be http://www.fbodycentral.com/forum/ The shop 'Fbody Central is located right around Baltimore, but the board they host is the EAstern Fbody Association. There will definatly be the help you are looking for. BTW, I have the same screen name over there.
Old 10-12-2004, 10:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm assuming that Fred. VA means Fredricksburg right? Not Frederick county? If its fredericksburg there is a place in Woodbridge that I have heard of. But the best place to find nova, va, and other east coast informatoin would be http://www.fbodycentral.com/forum/ The shop 'Fbody Central is located right around Baltimore, but the board they host is the EAstern Fbody Association. There will definatly be the help you are looking for. BTW, I have the same screen name over there.

Yup fredericksburg, I thought the only frederick county was in Maryland? Hey thanks for the info, I already posted over there and didnt get any hits, but I will try again. I have heard of fbodycentral, and was going to go there and get the SFC's welded in but, if there were someone closer that would be better. And your screename is psykoTA ?? weird, I have used that name on several boards.....anyways, thanks for the help.
Old 10-12-2004, 08:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Nah man, my screen name is the same as it is here 'frey51'. Frederick county VA is where Winchester is, west of Loudoun County. I remember reading someones post on there about having a good experiance at a place in Woodbridge. Maybe do a some seraches, or Maybe call Jason up there at Fbodycentral. I know the drive would be long to go up to baltimore, but he might be able to help you find a shop closer. (since he is in the know).

Have a good one

Fry