Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problems in the rain

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2004, 05:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems in the rain

Ever since I had my headers, plugs, wires put on, my car runs TERRIBLE in the rain. It shakes and doesnt accelerate correctly, if at all. My SES light flashes, then stays on for about a day after the rain. What is going on? I tried to search, but couldnt find anything on it. This only happens when it rains, is it o2 related? plugs? wires? open for opinions and suggestions.

Thanks,

David
Old 10-05-2004, 09:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

HMMM. I would think it could possibly be an O2 sensor bung issue. If the headers had to have a bung installed, it could have a leak...and I guess water could be getting in. That is a little far fetched if you aske me, but I wouldnt put it out of your mind. I would wait till it happens again, and go to PepBoys and get a scan when your light is on. As for the flashing ses, I think that idicates another issue. Hopefully someone else can give more insight on that.

Fry
Old 10-07-2004, 12:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

I say check to see if you are getting water on the engine, flashing SES light ususally means a hard miss. You could be getting water on the coils or somewhere on the ignition system.Is the hood to cowl seal still there? Or, maybe you have a bad set of wires, with the car running, spray the wires with water from a spray bottle, if they are bad, you should see all kinds of arcing.

Last edited by psykoTa; 10-11-2004 at 11:51 PM.
Old 10-11-2004, 11:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Did you find what is wrong?
Old 10-12-2004, 12:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by psykoTa
Did you find what is wrong?
nope, no one knows, went to shop where i get all my performance done and they think it is water hitting the MAF. But i dont think so, this is my 2nd camaro and my first one never did this, with the same mods.??? still have no clue. The thing is the SES does not stay on long enough for me to go get it checked out, just have to hope someday im near a shop when it rains.

david
Old 10-12-2004, 12:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Did they check the ignition system? Flashing SES lights are ignition misses, it flashes because it is something that can damage your cats. Did you try misting the wires w/water? Have you checked for any burnt wires?
Old 10-12-2004, 12:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by psykoTa
Did they check the ignition system? Flashing SES lights are ignition misses, it flashes because it is something that can damage your cats. Did you try misting the wires w/water? Have you checked for any burnt wires?
Well I dont have any cats, I had the wires checked and they said they were fine, havnt tried misting them.
Old 10-12-2004, 11:52 AM
11 Second Club

thats the strangest thing ive ever heard of, doest it do it in light rain or heavy rain, or just any bit of rain, and what about if its dry and u run over a puddle, im just trying to think of your situation
Old 10-12-2004, 11:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LiqudFire350
thats the strangest thing ive ever heard of, doest it do it in light rain or heavy rain, or just any bit of rain, and what about if its dry and u run over a puddle, im just trying to think of your situation
Only in heavy, to mild rain. Light rain is ok, and puddles are ok. Just solid rain kills me.
Old 10-12-2004, 12:25 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would suspect an insulation problem most likely.

First I would run the car at night in the dark, looking
for any small arcs about the plugs, wires and coils;
arcs that would get worse when wet. Might even probe
around with a screwdriver that is clip-grounded to the
block, see if you can make a miss.

You could go as far as selectively misting areas of the
ignition system with a spray-bottle.

Dielectric grease inside each of the wire boots would
help eliminate water intrusion and any spark-snuffing
from that, at the plug and coil ends. Might check for
any plugs that are cracked and just hanging on by
the conductor. Also check the seating of the wires
onto the plugs, I had one Taylor pop off on mine and
it ran crappy only after high speed buffeting shook it
the last little bit loose. Pull, grease, reseat and you
may just find it goes away even if you don't "find"
anything.
Old 10-13-2004, 10:15 PM
12 Second Club

My car does the exact same. I have a 3" cowl hood, and it started after I put it on the car. It started only when it rained but now it does it driving in town. When it rains its horrible, it comparable to driving a 4 banger only on two cylinders. I get the ses light and when I check it, it says multiple misfire. I want t get new plug wires, but unsure of which one's to get,Any help on what I should get or do.
Old 10-13-2004, 11:16 PM
11 Second Club

NGK TR55 plugs, MSD Black wires
Old 10-13-2004, 11:21 PM
TECH Regular

what he said NGKs and MSD
Old 10-13-2004, 11:25 PM
11 Second Club

ive actually tested the wires, the black ones had a little least resistance than the red ones and the taylor and mallory ones were the worst ones( i think a straightened paper clip would have had less resistance than those wires)
Old 10-15-2004, 01:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by camarodave98
Ever since I had my headers, plugs, wires put on, my car runs TERRIBLE in the rain. It shakes and doesnt accelerate correctly, if at all. My SES light flashes, then stays on for about a day after the rain. What is going on? I tried to search, but couldnt find anything on it. This only happens when it rains, is it o2 related? plugs? wires? open for opinions and suggestions.

Thanks,

David
damn, the exact same thing happens to my car, it happened today and last night. i dont think its a problem with the ignition system. my car runs perfectly fine when not raining, but if i drive long enough in the rain, it starts boggin down and it gets a different exhaust tone when i accelerate, just like a misfire. im guessing my o2 sensors are getting wet but i dont get the flashing SES light(severe misfire). i wish i could find the problem, it sure does bother me to drive in the rain now.
Old 10-15-2004, 10:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do you have a type of ram air systen where the water could be sucked into the engine slightly...could be water getting on the maf
Old 03-03-2005, 09:52 PM
12 Second Club

Exclamation

This post seems to be dead now. I do have a cowl hood ( about a 3" cowl hood) and its open for water to get into my engine bay. Any idea's, maybe water getting into O2 sensors, or getting on coils and wires. Or possibly something else? Let me hear your opinions or if u have this problem, post what u did if you fixed it.
Old 03-03-2005, 10:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

You cant get water on the O2's. Unless you are in a 3 foot puddle, with an exhuast leak next to the O2. Everyone that has this problem, has a cowl hood, or someway for water to get on the engine. I dont know why noone has tried this-start the car, pop the hood, dot his at night, use a spray bottle and mist the wires and coils, you will probably see some arcing. The fact is, water is getting on the engine somehow and causing multiple misfires=ignition. Water is getting on the A. wires B. coils C. all over the place. Do what I said see what happens. Or put a stock hood back on, and see what happens.

I highly doubt water is getting on the MAF, water is heavier then air. You need a lot of water to get on the MAF. And water on the O2's=not possible, unless something is broken. Everything under the hood is meant to be sealed and water proof. However, the spark from the ignition system will travel through the path of least resistance, i.e water on the wire. Sparks can even "jump" to a vacuum line if its resting parallel, on the spark plug wire. Thats not your problem, just showing that a spark will travel to other places if something is touching it, etc.