Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock Transmount $77?...what to buy

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2004, 08:12 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Stock Transmount $77?...what to buy

So i was gonna buy a OEM trans mount from my local GM dealership and the transmount went for $77! I am not paying that much for a stock replacement. I am worried about going the aftermarket route because I hear of people complaining about the car vibrating even more after the install. What should i do? Anybody know where I can get a stock one cheap and if not what after market mount to get. I need to order it today so all input is welcomed! Thanks
Old 10-13-2004, 09:07 AM
11 Second Club

someone asked about this before, they said that the prothane one does not vibrate but the ES one will if you put it in incorrectly, something about if you have an LT1 put it in the way it came, but if you have an LS1 you have to leave off one of the metal plates it comes with and grind down two little rubber nubs

im not too sure about this, but try a search, i know its been asked before
Old 10-13-2004, 09:55 AM
Launching!

I've got the Energy Suspension mount. All I did was leave off the spacer that it came with because it was causing the tranny to vibrate against the floorboard while driving.
Old 10-13-2004, 10:36 AM
TECH Regular

did that solve the vibration issues? my stock one is vibrating so the last thing i wanna do is replace it with one that will vibrate more. I've searched about the es mount and poeple not only leave the spacer out but grind down the "nubs" on the mount. Did you grind down the "nubs" also or just leave out the spacer?
Old 10-13-2004, 12:38 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you are having vibration problems, its not due to your stock mount.

nothing is going to "vibrate" LESS than a stock one. they are the softest ones you can buy.

now if your stock one is broken, you could have a whole array of problems. y-pipe hitting floor, could sound like your rear end is having problems, etc. my stock one broke and i replaced it with a factory one and couldnt be happier. i diddnt want to have the poly mounts vibration problems, its all about what you think is driveable. one guy had the poly mount and found it to stop vibrating after a while (or at least he thought it did), another guy couldnt stand it so he took it off and replaced with an OEM.

i think you *might* be able to save a little money by getting it from GMpartsdirect.com or whatever the website is. my vote goes for the OEM
Old 10-13-2004, 02:09 PM
TECH Regular

ok called slp and they don't continue to carry an oem replacement anymore. Called 3 local dealerships and all where over $70. SOooooooo it comes down to buying an aftermarket mount which i really do not want to. I have noticed there is the option of either prothane or polyurethane types of mounts. Which one, both cost about the same
Old 10-13-2004, 02:10 PM
Launching!

I didn't grind the nubs off, just left out the spacer and it seems to work fine.
Old 10-14-2004, 08:47 AM
TECH Regular

i bought the ES mount yesterday from ls1speed.com. So all i need to do is not use the spacer and forget about grindig down the "nubs"? I really don't wanna have to grind anything and i don't want any added vibs. I hope i didn't screw myself with buying this
Old 10-14-2004, 11:49 AM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I put mine on like it says to in the instructions. It "vibrates" more....but it's supposed to. You can't possibly expect a ES mount thats much more rigid to not vibrate as much as a stocker.....I got used to mine, and you'll get used to yours as well......

just my opinion though
Old 10-14-2004, 12:03 PM
Loves to change spark plugs

Vibration or sound transfer? I think there's some confusion on that issue.

A harder mount is definitely going to transfer more sound than the stocker, but it will not vibrate more.
Old 10-14-2004, 12:37 PM
Launching!

I've had my ES one for 3 years and it has performed well. NO vibration, but sound transfer is greatly increased. At first it bothered me, but after awhile, I guess I just got used to it. I installed it minus the spacer plate and it has worked flawlessly.
Old 10-14-2004, 12:54 PM
TECH Regular

so i should expect a lil more noise but no vibrations? I hope so , i can deal with that. I'm going to leave the spacer out, and that is it. Sound okay? any further suggestions?
Old 10-14-2004, 01:15 PM
Launching!

Yeah, you should be fine if you leave the spacer out.
Old 10-14-2004, 03:23 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

man..glad this post happened to come up..cuz i musta cracked mine the other night..cuz right under my console when i get on it i can like here something hitting the bottom of my console..and actually maken a loud noise ...so im replacen her.
Old 07-15-2005, 12:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

another person found this thread helpful!

mc01ta, what were your findings after you got it installed?

How bad is the increased sound/noise? what sort of sound/noise should I expect?

I happened to purchase a poly utherane one from autozone and ill be installing it soon.