56.06%
Voters: 289. You may not vote on this poll

Which one is better (auto vs. manual)?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2004, 05:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by David 2002 WS6
I agree with all the other posts here. Generally go for automatic if you want to be more consistent at the track, and generally go for M6 if you want to "bond" with your car.
Bond with your car? I'm not exactly ready to pick out curtains with my car just yet. You can still enjoy the bonding so to speak with a nice torque converter

Many times cars are broken into by kids looking for a joyride or an easy ride to a concert or something. And these kids often don't even have a driver's license yet. This is what I was thinking when I wrote about not everyone being able to drive a stick shift. Check out these two news stories! (The first one is better...)
13 year olds will not be stealing our cars anytime soon. Unless you leave the keys in the ignition or under a viser. Then it's a new ball game. Non-pro car thieves do not have the expertise to hotwire a F-body that has anti-theft devices such as our computer chipped ignition keys and horn car alarms.

When I was 13 I might have stole a Playboy magazine but a car? I admit when I was first learning how to drive a manual transmission car 20+ years ago it was hard but really the only thing hard was getting the car going from a stop. After that it was cake and practice got me smoother with the shifting. But, this is...
Same here. I stole a playboy and maybe a few candy bars but that was about it. I got my first car at 16 and it was a POS 1972 MGB convertible with a manual 4 speed. It was a little tricky learning how to take off from a stop but other then that it was easy. By the time I had the car a month I was driving a manual like it was second nature.
Old 11-06-2004, 06:57 PM
Launching!

Ever since I have had a manual I would never go back. Its way more fun, imo. The thing with autos is when you come off the throttle you don't get to hear the exhuast (which is something I love), it just gets quiet.
Old 11-08-2004, 11:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BlueSix
My stock A4 WS6 went 13.23, seems pretty inline with the stock M6 cars out there.
I have never seen a stock a4 take an m6 ls1 of any kind, and if so, the driver of the m6 has some problems
Old 11-09-2004, 08:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by camarodave98
I have never seen a stock a4 take an m6 ls1 of any kind, and if so, the driver of the m6 has some problems
I have. Plenty of times.
Old 11-09-2004, 02:39 PM
TECH Junkie

My stock A4 took down several modded M6 cars at the track.
Old 11-09-2004, 06:38 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A4 all the way cuz i have one..but..if i were rich id have one of each an m6 and an a4.
Old 11-09-2004, 06:49 PM
11 Second Club

Whats your best time?
Old 11-09-2004, 06:59 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by luvmeZ28
4.56s
That would be great.
Old 11-09-2004, 07:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

M6's are more fun handsdown. My 2000 was an A4 and my 2001 is an M6, I love it. What Girl doesn't like a stick? I know I do!
Old 11-12-2004, 10:49 PM
Teching In

If you want to go fast in a straight line get the auto.

If your a true sports car fan and a true driver that believes braking and turns
are just as important as straight line performance get an M6.

A weaker manual car can easily over take a more powerful automatic on a road type course.

An automatic has two advantages drag racing and comfort. (Personally I feel more comfortable with a manual even in traffic...but i'm in the minority on that)

Forget road courses with an Auto. It is a serious handicap.

I buy a car to have fun and to enjoy the art of driving. In the art of driving
category the Auto is just crayons and a coloring book. An M6 is an entire art supply store.

As technology advances the line between manual and auto blurs but GM is at least a decade away to having a BMW type SMG type gear box.

Its a shame. I swear the people on this forum can easily run a better performance department than what GM currently has.
Old 11-21-2005, 06:41 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by lil2liter
If you want to go fast in a straight line get the auto.
Definately but a 3000+ stall is the key. You can't just buy an A4 and call it a day.

If your a true sports car fan and a true driver that believes braking and turns
are just as important as straight line performance get an M6.
I used to think these cars were sports cars too. Then one day I got into a heated debate with a friend and he ended up changing my mind. Sports cars are two seaters, light weight, good suspension, refined exhaust note and of course a manual transmission.

Muscle cars on the other can have back seats, weigh more then 3300 lbs, have loud & obnoxious exhaust and can come with either manual or auto.

A weaker manual car can easily over take a more powerful automatic on a road type course.
Absolutely true. Autos do not shine on a road course like manuals do. But how many people actually race road courses? While some do, drag strips are far more popular. I saw a poll once asking what kind of racing you do. Here were the results and bare in mind this is from srt-4's which only come with a stick shift.

Drag Race - 48.99%

Autocross - 7.20%

Road Race - 21.10%

All of the above - 16.31%

None of the above - 4.48%

Rally Racing - 1.91%

An automatic has two advantages drag racing and comfort. (Personally I feel more comfortable with a manual even in traffic...but i'm in the minority on that)
I'm not really sure about comfort. I would call Autos advantages drag racing and easier on the weak 10 bolt.

Forget road courses with an Auto. It is a serious handicap.
True enough. But again, unless he's going to actually go to a road course (see numbers above) it's kind of a mute point. Although the same could be said about drag strips.

I buy a car to have fun and to enjoy the art of driving. In the art of driving
category the Auto is just crayons and a coloring book. An M6 is an entire art supply store.
Wow. All I can say to that is I hope you don't go cutting off an ear anytime soon there Vincent. That and pass me some of what you're smoking

As technology advances the line between manual and auto blurs but GM is at least a decade away to having a BMW type SMG type gear box.

Its a shame. I swear the people on this forum can easily run a better performance department than what GM currently has.
Amen to that.
Old 11-21-2005, 10:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

manual
Old 11-21-2005, 04:57 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Gallitin
Ever since I have had a manual I would never go back. Its way more fun, imo. The thing with autos is when you come off the throttle you don't get to hear the exhuast (which is something I love), it just gets quiet.
Even in my v6 stnag, I love down shifting and hearing the exhaust.
Old 11-21-2005, 06:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

get one of each and youll be set.
Old 11-21-2005, 07:00 PM
10 Second Club

Depends what you want, in the thread starters case for street fun I'd say m6 because that is usally a ricer roll race. Now if we want a fast track car obviously auto. PS m6 with high hp and these spec IV cluthes and others alike SUCK for traffic!
Old 11-21-2005, 08:01 PM
Shirley Temple Drinker

Originally Posted by stoleit
search button. besides that people who say auto's are for *****'s are arrogant or stupid (probably both). the fastests cars are NOT M6s! Auto's are amazing because you get consistancy. The difference between 2 auto runs will probably be a matter of hundreths, with an M6 it can be tenths. Don't have to worry about a miss shift in an auto either. Just get a converter and gears in your WS6 and you will stop worrying about not having a manual. Oh and all this is coming from a guy with an M6 car.
call me arrogant or stupid

I row ( ps auto guys, that smily shouldnt be used by you lol )

Autos=

Last edited by Sgt. Spuds; 11-21-2005 at 08:21 PM.
Old 11-21-2005, 08:24 PM
10 Second Club

I guess you could say I have seen many lower HP auto whip high HP M6's at the drag strip!
Old 11-21-2005, 08:27 PM
Shirley Temple Drinker

Dont bother me much... these cars should have never been optioned with a automatic transmission, if you care that much about drag racing and cant get consistant with a manual, do the conversion yourself, then i would be unique. Now its just

Old 11-21-2005, 08:30 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Sgt. Spuds
Dont bother me much... these cars should have never been optioned with a automatic transmission, if you care that much about drag racing and cant get consistant with a manual, do the conversion yourself, then i would be unique. Now its just

LOL do you understand drag racing ?? And why would an auto maker cut his sales down so much on a car, many people dislike 6 spds, I like both but love to take it to the track!
Old 11-21-2005, 08:43 PM
Shirley Temple Drinker

Yes I understand dragracing, practicly my whole family runs drag bikes localy. I understand how it works, braket racing that is.

But in a perfect world, NO car would have a automatic transmission, it would cut down on all the dumb asses we have driving today. I hate auto's, always have, always will. Will never have a automatic. NEVER

Quick Reply: Which one is better (auto vs. manual)?