New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Corvette or Camaro SS?
Corvette 1998-2000 yr models
46.96%
Camaro SS 2001-2002 yr models
53.04%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Corvette or Camaro SS?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2005, 06:24 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

who gives a ****..if SS is rare or not... C5 is totally different ball game.. GO WITH THE C5 please..you will love it.... vette handles, rides better plus brakes are better. over all better quality.... remember VETTE is a VETTE.
Old 01-09-2005, 08:26 PM
Teching In

its subjective, but I think the Vette looks so much better than a camaro.
Old 01-09-2005, 09:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PEWTER SS
I too love Corvettes but if I was to get one it would be a Z06 and a Z06 only. I would not even bother with a base LS1 Corvette(just my .02).
I have a 2002 SS, M6, pewter with chromes and love it. It only has 2K miles. The SS will hold its value better unlike the current C5. With the C6 out no one will want one. The prices on C5s will drop like an elevator without cables.

But the only person that should decided what to get is YOU. Not any of us. I think about buying a Z06 everyday....an I could with no problem if I wanted to. There is somthing about my SS that makes me keep it safe in the garage.

Your call.

PS..Corvettes will ALWAYS get the bitches over an F-body. That is a standard no cost feature that comes with either a base or Z06.

Hmmm, don't know about this, as with the money you are saving buying a reg. C5, you can spend it to more than stand up to a ZO6.
Old 01-09-2005, 09:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

camaro ss is the way to go
Old 01-09-2005, 09:18 PM
Teching In

Default Vette!!

Get the Vette, it's made in Bowling Green so at least you are getting true American power. It's a classic and they hold their value well, and HUD is the #$%^!
Old 01-09-2005, 09:42 PM
On The Tree

Honestly, saying a Vette is built better than a fbody is really not saying much. Considering how **** poor the fbody is really built. The Vette is built better, but it still isnt that greatly built.

Just my opinion, I test drove quiet a few vettes. I think when you buy something like the vette, you want atleast some sort of exclusivity, and the vette doesnt provide that at all. Why not just buy a z06 instead? Invest a little more and have a car much superior.

If you want to pull some hoes, get a 92-99 m3, it would pull more hoes than the vett just because girls will think its a bmw and thus you are a baller.
Old 01-09-2005, 09:43 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LSfever
Get the Vette, it's made in Bowling Green so at least you are getting true American power. It's a classic and they hold their value well, and HUD is the #$%^!
Well, if you want true american power, than I guess many Hondas and Toyotas would fit the bill. There just as much American than a Vette now since there built in America.
Old 01-09-2005, 11:54 PM
TECH Resident

I would go with Camaro
Old 01-10-2005, 12:25 AM
11 Second Club

try lookin into a WS6 98-02
Old 01-12-2005, 11:16 AM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1SS4ever
I would go with Camaro
not to be rude..but ive been watching your posts..and i'm just wondering where youre from and if you speak english well?
Old 01-13-2005, 07:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Flawless
Honestly, saying a Vette is built better than a fbody is really not saying much. Considering how **** poor the fbody is really built. The Vette is built better, but it still isnt that greatly built.

Just my opinion, I test drove quiet a few vettes. I think when you buy something like the vette, you want atleast some sort of exclusivity, and the vette doesnt provide that at all. Why not just buy a z06 instead? Invest a little more and have a car much superior.

If you want to pull some hoes, get a 92-99 m3, it would pull more hoes than the vett just because girls will think its a bmw and thus you are a baller.

Well the vettes are so 'poorly' built that I test drove a Z06 and now im fixing to buy one.
Old 02-02-2005, 11:55 PM
Teching In

Go with the VETTE and then join CORVETTE FORUM, LS1 f-bodys are nice I just got a 2000 WS6 M6 and it is fun to drive and I love that it seats four people and has a trunk but I also own a 95 LT1 Vette A4 granted its not a stick but it is a blast to drive deffinitely gets more free Vitamin P its like the saying Corvette is more than a car its a lifestlye lol and I also love how it only seats two, has a rear hatch only big enough for stereo equipment, and as far as grocery shopping a twelve pack rests nicely on the console between the two seats.
Old 02-03-2005, 09:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

I say go for the Vette also. I love the way the C5's and C6's look.
Old 02-03-2005, 11:21 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Logic
Well I was in an accident and my car is totaled. It happened a couple of weeks ago. I am really sad about it. My car was my pride & joy. So I am going to finish paying what’s left on the pay off to the bank. Then save up a bit for a good down payment on my next ride. I was sure that I wanted a 01-02 SS, Z28 Camaro. But I got to thinking. I have always wanted a Corvette. So I looked at some prices. Seems I could buy a 98-00 Corvette for about the same price range I can buy a 01-02 SS for. The mileage on the vette maybe a little higher though. So I would like to ask what would you pick & please tell me why if you can. Thank you for your time.
Dont forget insurance. Go with the Corvette if ya can
Old 02-04-2005, 12:37 AM
Launching!

Well being an owner of both an LT1 f body, a blown LS1 f body, (see sig). I can say with absolute honesty that I wish I hadent sold my TA.... It was a screamer on the top end, pulled .95 G on the skidpad, and looked better in my opinion than my ZO6. It was a monster, I remember racing an 01 ZO6 a few years back, we started out in 3rd gear at 70 mph. The Z got the jump on me, but by the top of 3rd I was already at his side. Top of 4th I was about 5 car lengths, top of 5th at 170 I was about 8 car lengths.

So I slow down and he pulls along side, his girlfriend had a huge grin and she says "Your car's so fast"! Oh man it was priceless, I had torn a $50k car to shreds, her boyfriend was in disbelief.

Well fast forward 3 years, and now Im the guy in the Z getting my *** handed to me by bolt on f bodies. Although I did manage a bone stock run of 12.7@114 mph my second only pass with it.

The Z is a more refined version of an f body, shorter, IRS, 500 lbs lighter. I paid $37k for mine with the trade in of my 200 hp Hayabusa, had to get off of that thing. Many a 190 mph run with it, didnt want to be on it for when one got hairy.

If you can find an 03 and up for under $35k go for it, in 03 GM replaced the aluminum synchros in the M12 with steel ones. And the 02 and up have more power than the 01's and I hear the 01's had piston slapping issues with the pistons.

Also to consider, I got my Electon Blue with black interior as Im not the first owner, Im now trying to find all the part numbers for a mod red interior conversion. If you can keep and eye out for mod red interior, it looks great in my opinion.

If you just plan on doing quarter mile action, then an F body is the way to go. You could easily get a 02 and up f body with an LS6 block, although pre 02 LS1 blocks are more durable depending on who you talk to.

It takes a lot of money to go fast, I had $20k in my TA when all was said and done.

Vortech S trim 9psi
Mac mid lengths, borla cat back, 42 lb injectors, LS1 edit, Mcleod street twin, Moser 12 bolt with 30 spline axles and 3:73's,

Spohn adj. tq. arm, Spohn LCA's w relocation brackets, biltein shocks, LG springs, chromoly k member and A arms, 1LE swaybars, AFS ZR1 replicas: 17x9.5/17x11's, Suncoast ram air cowl hood, harlan shift light, B@M ripper shifter, thunder cam. Too much to remember.

I used to run with modern 600's on the street in that beast, I actually got arrested racing an 01 Yamaha R6, the runs from 60 to 150 were dead even.

So if you manage to find a used f body you could use the money that you were otherwise going to throw into a new stock vette and make it a fast car.

One thing to remember though, you can always add power but its difficult to take away weight. My TA weighed 3500 lbs, the Z 3100 lbs. Im not done with the Z yet, plan on making 430 or so NA when I throw on my heads, cam, and longtubes when I get out of here....
Old 02-04-2005, 10:14 AM
Launching!

Sorry I should have read the whole thread before my post. Id go with the vette.
Old 02-04-2005, 10:19 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Importdestroyer
Well being an owner of both an LT1 f body, a blown LS1 f body, (see sig). I can say with absolute honesty that I wish I hadent sold my TA.... It was a screamer on the top end, pulled .95 G on the skidpad, and looked better in my opinion than my ZO6. It was a monster, I remember racing an 01 ZO6 a few years back, we started out in 3rd gear at 70 mph. The Z got the jump on me, but by the top of 3rd I was already at his side. Top of 4th I was about 5 car lengths, top of 5th at 170 I was about 8 car lengths.

So I slow down and he pulls along side, his girlfriend had a huge grin and she says "Your car's so fast"! Oh man it was priceless, I had torn a $50k car to shreds, her boyfriend was in disbelief.

Well fast forward 3 years, and now Im the guy in the Z getting my *** handed to me by bolt on f bodies. Although I did manage a bone stock run of 12.7@114 mph my second only pass with it.

The Z is a more refined version of an f body, shorter, IRS, 500 lbs lighter. I paid $37k for mine with the trade in of my 200 hp Hayabusa, had to get off of that thing. Many a 190 mph run with it, didnt want to be on it for when one got hairy.

If you can find an 03 and up for under $35k go for it, in 03 GM replaced the aluminum synchros in the M12 with steel ones. And the 02 and up have more power than the 01's and I hear the 01's had piston slapping issues with the pistons.

Also to consider, I got my Electon Blue with black interior as Im not the first owner, Im now trying to find all the part numbers for a mod red interior conversion. If you can keep and eye out for mod red interior, it looks great in my opinion.

If you just plan on doing quarter mile action, then an F body is the way to go. You could easily get a 02 and up f body with an LS6 block, although pre 02 LS1 blocks are more durable depending on who you talk to.

It takes a lot of money to go fast, I had $20k in my TA when all was said and done.

Vortech S trim 9psi
Mac mid lengths, borla cat back, 42 lb injectors, LS1 edit, Mcleod street twin, Moser 12 bolt with 30 spline axles and 3:73's,

Spohn adj. tq. arm, Spohn LCA's w relocation brackets, biltein shocks, LG springs, chromoly k member and A arms, 1LE swaybars, AFS ZR1 replicas: 17x9.5/17x11's, Suncoast ram air cowl hood, harlan shift light, B@M ripper shifter, thunder cam. Too much to remember.

I used to run with modern 600's on the street in that beast, I actually got arrested racing an 01 Yamaha R6, the runs from 60 to 150 were dead even.

So if you manage to find a used f body you could use the money that you were otherwise going to throw into a new stock vette and make it a fast car.

One thing to remember though, you can always add power but its difficult to take away weight. My TA weighed 3500 lbs, the Z 3100 lbs. Im not done with the Z yet, plan on making 430 or so NA when I throw on my heads, cam, and longtubes when I get out of here....
Id listen to this guy
Old 02-08-2005, 07:50 AM
Teching In

If you can afford a Vette get it. Although a f-body is 80% vette, for a lot less, the Vette is awesome. Power is similar, but it is the handling that really differs- vette is much better in the corners. But if you don't have a safe garage, don't buy a vette. i had a C5 while I lived in an appartment, I also had an ulcer worring about it as it sat in an open lot.
Old 02-08-2005, 03:03 PM
12 Second Club

it depends what you're lookin for in my opinion, yes a vette is the handler and a lighter car in this situation, but do you want the ability to have something in the back seats, also if you've always wanted a vette more than a camaro get a vette, but me myself, A: the camaro was cheaper, and B: its in my blood, i cant get away, maybe when i'm making more money i'll get a vette but for now its stayin in the black beast with the duals n' fatties later on
Old 02-09-2005, 01:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

If your still on the fence in your decision, go and drive one. I didnt want a z06 untill I drove one. Now, as you can see by my sig, im selling all my parts and my car to buy one.

Quick Reply: Corvette or Camaro SS?