New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 Camaro vs Dodge SRT-4 ...which would you choose?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2005, 06:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'd much rather drive a camaro daily than a riced up neon. i can sacrifice gas mileage for not being embarassed.
Old 08-02-2005, 02:20 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I vote for the Ls1 hands down...both are great cars,the srt does a great job doing its job that it was built for...a great chassis and cheap speed!That being said an Ls1 camaro does that and some.And i know beauty is in the eye of the beholder but IMO the Ls1 looks about 10 times better

To be honest whichever path you take you can't reaLLY go wrong since you seem to be buying this car for the strip it seems
Old 08-03-2005, 05:26 PM
10 Second Sleeper Club

I learned a long time ago that in the cosmic scheme of things "There is no replacement for displacement". I have had some nasty 4's in my time (i'm 48) but nothing even comes close to wide open throttle on a Camaro Z-28 with decent mods, which by the way don't cost much. Love my Z, others can keep their 4's and cringe when I pull up to them at a stoplight or elsewhere and just gun it a little. By the way, I test drove the SRT with my son (it was OK but I'm an adrenaline junkie), man are those front seats non user friendly.

2000 Z-28 SLP Flow Pac Cold air package, SLP free flow Lid, SLP Smooth Belows, SLP High flow MAF, MSD 8.5 wires, Magnaflow Cats, Stage 2 Jet performance programming, Kumho Ecsta rubber

Last edited by jitsumania; 08-03-2005 at 05:34 PM.
Old 08-05-2005, 06:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Some people say just get a stage upgrade on a srt-4 and there worth getting and can be fast. Alot of people overlook that a camaro can have an upgrade to with GMMG if im not mistaken(correct me if im wrong ls1 guys) I friend of mine has 2 35th aniv SS and hes getting a stage 2 and 3 upgrade in them from GMMG which is what 600hp on a stage 3 which id take in a heart beat over a stage 3 srt-4. Dont get me wrong I have respect for the SRT-4 same as EVO and STI there really the only imports I have respect for. But yeah If I had the choice id take the LS1 over a SRT-4 Why? well V8 and RWD=FUN so yeah.
Old 08-05-2005, 08:27 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by SlvrV6Camaro
Some people say just get a stage upgrade on a srt-4 and there worth getting and can be fast. Alot of people overlook that a camaro can have an upgrade to with GMMG if im not mistaken(correct me if im wrong ls1 guys) I friend of mine has 2 35th aniv SS and hes getting a stage 2 and 3 upgrade in them from GMMG which is what 600hp on a stage 3 which id take in a heart beat over a stage 3 srt-4. Dont get me wrong I have respect for the SRT-4 same as EVO and STI there really the only imports I have respect for. But yeah If I had the choice id take the LS1 over a SRT-4 Why? well V8 and RWD=FUN so yeah.

Sounds like your talking about the ZL-1 Camaros. Stage 3 ZL-1s have a 427 600 HP engine and run in excess of $100K
Old 08-05-2005, 09:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by METALBEAST
Sounds like your talking about the ZL-1 Camaros. Stage 3 ZL-1s have a 427 600 HP engine and run in excess of $100K
yes but u can also get them in a regular camaro as well.

Link to the guy getting it done.
http://www.northtexasfbody.com/v-web...opic.php?t=701
Old 08-06-2005, 12:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Dang so much hate and discontent for the SRT. As for it being a POS.....the Neon platform has come a long way. The first gen neons are total pieces. Peeling paint, and a whole slew of other problems. Those were addressed in the 2nd gen neon platform. Unfortuately the neon stereotype carried onto the 4th gens.

All of the Fbods I have been in has had more vibrations, rattles, and shakes (aka character) than the SRT-4's I have been in, including my own.

That being said.... the Neon is blindingly obviously cheaply built (material wise, quality is still very high all things considered) than a Fbod. The shift **** has a mold line in it that is an eye sore. The interior 90% the same cheap *** parts inside a baseline neon. In fact the only above neon quailty in side of the SRT-4 is the most awesome seats. Also with the SRT alot of nice features has been cut out.... No power windows in the rear.... no cruise control....and really soft motor mounts that cause alot of wheel hop when you give more than 50% throttle in first gear.

Oh and the SRT is a PITA to drive in the winter. Stock KDW's suck in any adverse weather other than some rain. I drove mine through snow, heavy rain..... and it never felt sure footed.

All things considered I still say either path is a good path to go down. I have been down both, and just really wanted an ls1 car, even though they are higher maintenance and rattle and what not. Still given the choice... I would opt to own both.
Old 08-06-2005, 03:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lats night at the track i saw two new SRT-4s run mid 15s at best.
Old 08-06-2005, 03:53 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by rumblebox
lats night at the track i saw two new SRT-4s run mid 15s at best.

I have a friend who can't get out of the 14s in his f-body......

Your point is????

Last edited by 1sweet00SS; 08-06-2005 at 03:58 PM.
Old 08-06-2005, 10:53 PM
Teching In

I speak from experience for both cars. In my little "crew" we have an srt-4 and a few ls1,lt1 bla, bla, bla..... The srt-4 is cool. Its new, but its crossing the line where domestic is turning rice. It is not the slowest car in the group but it also can not beat even our slowest lt1. If you are looking for a '05 of course ls1 are dead but if you are looking for the best bang for your buck, any f body will beat the neon. I mean all aspects here just look at the history of f body compared to the neon. Anyway good luck with your choice and if you do choose a neon don't EVER get next to me at a red light, you'll want your $$$ back. My buddy has already tried to swap me rides.hahaha
Old 08-07-2005, 12:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

SRT's are full of unexperienced drivers. You get the best 60ft by 1/2 throttling in first, and never going WOT until 2nd. Most drivers wheel hop themselved into 15's.

I have seen a bone stock SRT hit 13.8. A true freak
Old 08-07-2005, 01:14 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by 1sweet00SS

I have a friend who can't get out of the 14s in his f-body......

Your point is????
Then he cant drive!
Old 08-07-2005, 01:16 AM
Racer

My cousin has an 04 srt-4. He runs 14.0s@100 ALL night. After i gave him some driving lessons!lol I ran it ONE time at the track,I turned a 13.8@102. Hes been pissed ever since! BTW his car is BONE stock.
Old 08-07-2005, 01:21 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by rumblebox
i'd much rather drive a camaro daily than a riced up neon. i can sacrifice gas mileage for not being embarassed.
Dont worry my WS6 gets better mpg then my cousins srt-4! And i have 4.10s and a stall. Once that turbo kicks in it sucks the hell outta some gas!
Old 08-07-2005, 02:12 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SVTKILLER
Then he cant drive!
Exactly....
Old 08-07-2005, 11:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Dont worry my WS6 gets better mpg then my cousins srt-4! And i have 4.10s and a stall. Once that turbo kicks in it sucks the hell outta some gas!
Sounds like your cousin has a heavy right foot. Me driving like an idiot all the time in my SRT, hitting 18psi spike and 16psi @ redline, still got 22mpg.

One thing to remember when calculating gas in the SRT is that it has a 12.5 tank, and the gauge is far from accurate. When the low fuel ligh comes on there is still 3 gallons in the tank. Still... that tank is tiny... I almost got 280 miles to tank.... filling up at the low fuel light... that makes it a little over 30mpg.
Old 08-07-2005, 01:38 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by SporkLover
Sounds like your cousin has a heavy right foot. Me driving like an idiot all the time in my SRT, hitting 18psi spike and 16psi @ redline, still got 22mpg.

One thing to remember when calculating gas in the SRT is that it has a 12.5 tank, and the gauge is far from accurate. When the low fuel ligh comes on there is still 3 gallons in the tank. Still... that tank is tiny... I almost got 280 miles to tank.... filling up at the low fuel light... that makes it a little over 30mpg.
Yeah my cousin has a VERY big foot. Sometimes he drives like a ricer though. I bitch at him all the time about it. He says hes cars not an import. I say you can drive like a ricer in anything. YOU could have a viper and be a ricer! Its your personality not the car most of the time. I know guys with civics whom are NOT ricers in my book cause they know what theyre doing. Theyre not idiots! Ricers are people who think cold air intake add 100rwhp! And when they lose they make more excuses than you can imagine! Thats a ricer.
Old 08-08-2005, 11:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Yeah my cousin has a VERY big foot. Sometimes he drives like a ricer though. I bitch at him all the time about it. He says hes cars not an import. I say you can drive like a ricer in anything. YOU could have a viper and be a ricer! Its your personality not the car most of the time. I know guys with civics whom are NOT ricers in my book cause they know what theyre doing. Theyre not idiots! Ricers are people who think cold air intake add 100rwhp! And when they lose they make more excuses than you can imagine! Thats a ricer.

They are just living their life 1/4 mile at the time
Old 08-08-2005, 10:49 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by 2MuchRiceMakesMeSick
They are just living their life 1/4 mile at the time
Its good their dedicating their entire life to the 1/4 cause its gonna take them a lifetime to get down it!
Old 08-12-2005, 05:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

LS1 Camaro ALL DAY LONG!!!

Quick Reply: LS1 Camaro vs Dodge SRT-4 ...which would you choose?