New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Keep the bird or trade in for a GTO?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2005, 05:42 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Keep the TA. The GTO's just aren't nearly as "badass" as the fbods.
Old 01-06-2005, 05:48 PM
TECH Junkie

the new 05's look a little better, and hopefully they will continue to progress. i think ill wait til 08 and get a camaro(or a new bird) and if i decide i dont like them when the time comes, ill pick up an 05/06 gto with the ls2 for under 20.
Old 01-06-2005, 11:32 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by prince xizor
....., "Sorry, I mistook it for a blue Cavalier."
A friend of mine asked me if I had seen the new Goats back when they started showing up at dealerships....I had said "yeah it looks like a combo between a Grand Prix and a Cavalier" They definitely need some sportin' up. The 05's are an improvement but I think I would still keep the T/A.

Like Chirs said, just my 2 cents.

Good Luck either way!

Ant
Old 01-07-2005, 02:39 AM
Teching In

Default Rattle Remedy?

Originally Posted by abnam68173
The car and Driver comparison was with the 05 GTO. 50 more horsepower and better brakes etc. on the 05 are great but that doesn't make our 04s great. We have to live with the fact that we took GM's rebates rather than wait a couple of weeks to get the really improved version at full retail. I am amazed at the claims that if you add 400 lbs. and put on narrower tires with the same LS1 engine in the Camaro and GTO that suddenly the heavier GTO is a faster, better handling car. Must be the new leather fumes. My Z had no rattles but my GTO has a bad rattle in the passenger door that the Pontiac tech said he fixed this morning but on the drive home it was still there. So much for superior quality.
It may not be your problem, but I had a persistent (but not loud) "rattle" from my passenger door. I found that the door trim panel was moving slightly against the metal frame, making an annoying rattle or squeaking noise. The fix? I folded my business card and stuck it in the crack between the trim panel and the metal frame of the door. Again, it probably isn't your problem, but have someone hold pressure against the trim panel as you are driving and see . . .
Old 01-10-2005, 01:42 PM
Teching In

and put on narrower tires
I dont really no much about tires, but my GTO and my Z28 both had a width of 245. Yes the GTO has the 17 in. and the Z had the 16 in., but the same width none the less (correct me if I am wrong, but that is not narrower). I traded in my 02 Z28 for my GTO, the GTO is just a much better all around car. The Z28 and the Trans Am have aggressive styling, where the GTO doesn't (although I do not think that the GTO's styling is ugly by any means). The interior (where the driver spends all of his time) is outstanding, and the car drives great (much better than the Z). I guess if you are wanting a better driving experience then I would say go with the GTO.
Old 01-10-2005, 03:04 PM
Teching In

SS Camaro came with 275 in 17 rim and with a BFH with right offset rim some have run 315. I have not read of any GTOs having the wheelwell space to run that big a tire. I certainly would like to know rim offset and tire width if they are.
Old 01-10-2005, 08:44 PM
Teching In

SS Camaro came with 275 in 17 rim and with a BFH with right offset rim some have run 315. I have not read of any GTOs having the wheelwell space to run that big a tire. I certainly would like to know rim offset and tire width if they are.
Ok...that makes more since....you stated that you traded in a 02 Z28 stripper (would have came with 245's) and that the GTO's tires were narrower. Just got confused.
Old 01-11-2005, 10:37 AM
On The Tree

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Also the t/a will and is becoming a collectors car and also has better looks than any other car.
Old 01-12-2005, 03:00 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yea, i do love my cars stance and styling, its very aggressive, more so than almost all the cars out there i think, other than some exotics. cfdemarco, your car looks awesome, i always thought about putting black wheels with the a polished lip on my car but had no idea what it would look like on NBM. looks sick man
Old 01-12-2005, 09:25 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well i just test drove the new GTO today, it does NOT have my TA's good looks, lousy shifter (compared to the TA), ugly and hard to get used to smaller steering wheel, no real comfortable right arm rest (love the TA's arm rest), and the biggest annoyance was the ride height/profile while in the driver seat. i like the ride height/profile/feel in the trans am, left arm up high, sit low.. BUT, it was still very nice.

plus, id never hear the end of it if i traded the TA in..
Old 01-12-2005, 11:22 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 98NBM_TransAm
Yea, i do love my cars stance and styling, its very aggressive, more so than almost all the cars out there i think, other than some exotics. cfdemarco, your car looks awesome, i always thought about putting black wheels with the a polished lip on my car but had no idea what it would look like on NBM. looks sick man
Have you noticed how the 2005 GTO has a new hood design? Gee...looks a lot like the Ram Air TA, huh? We'll see what they do with the Camaro in 2007.
I always said they would bring them back in 5 years or so. Let people really want them, then do a small production of them, then make them a specialty car and make the big bucks people would pay...and with some horsepower and looks, we'd pay. Don't think they didn't know what they were doing when they closed that Canadian plant, but...they were also hoping the GTO was going to be a hit...NOT. Or at leastthe original, ugly, no horsepowered ones.
We'll see in 2007.
Adieu...George
Old 01-13-2005, 10:18 AM
Teching In

I have been bitching for a week about rattles and bad ride, blaming it on the car. I was wrong. The dealer left 50 to 55 lbs. air pressure in the tires. I have been riding on bowling *****. So embarrasssing not to catch it sooner. Thanks again to whoever posted their similiar experience.
Old 01-13-2005, 09:17 PM
Launching!

Lightbulb

I have been bitching for a week about rattles and bad ride, blaming it on the car. I was wrong. The dealer left 50 to 55 lbs. air pressure in the tires. I have been riding on bowling *****. So embarrasssing not to catch it sooner. Thanks again to whoever posted their similiar experience.
That happened to me when I bought my 1996 Impala SS back in November 1995 except that I caught it quickly. No rattles but the tires looked a little like doughnuts so I measured the air pressure and it was something like 40 or 45 p.s.i. So I lowered it to 30 p.s.i or whatever it says on the door jam sticker.

This reminds me of another tip: Periodically check the air pressure in your spare tire. The compact spare tires are usually supposed to be filled to a high pressure such as 60 p.s.i and over time the pressure drops. Weak or loose valve stem? I don't know. But get in the habit of checking and reinflating the spare tire so you don't get a surprise at a bad time. Twice in my life I've puchased used cars and both times the compact spare tire had maybe 20 or 25 p.s.i. in them. If I had a flat then the spare would not have helped me much!
Old 01-25-2005, 11:45 AM
CRM
Teching In

keep the bird
Old 01-26-2005, 02:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Keep the bird
Old 01-27-2005, 12:09 PM
11 Second Club

KEEP THE BIRD !!!!!
Put a ram air hood on it ..Mod it...Love it
I have owned many cars..seen many and drove many . I cant think of anything south of 60k I'd get rid of my TA for .
The TA looks better and im sure you have the Payoff low enough to do some real work to it beings your thinking about trading it in for a High dollar GTO .
Whatever you do I hope your happy with it But I think you would regret it shortly after the decision .