New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ever had a T top explode while driving?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2005, 05:44 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only thing that I can think of is the change in temp. could have made the glass week. But that is crazy Id call GM and ask them if they know.
Old 01-20-2005, 12:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ptvolly
Tints on the inside if aftermarket, either part of the glass or a "middle layer" if factory tint.
Something had to hit your car...fine scratches on the spoiler and deck lid I can see happening if the glass shattered OUTWARD from the car... but I can't imagine a significant amount of glass going outside of the car (vs falling in) at 50mph unless there was one heck of a pressure buildup inside. What did make it out, to have such velocity to scratch the glass and take paint to primer or metal...Not saying I doubt your story in any way, just think something must have hit ya!

There was lots of glass at the bottom of the back window, under the spoiler too, and lots in the car. I'm still finding little pieces every day inside the car. Yeah it's strange.
Old 01-20-2005, 12:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hot02SS
The only thing that I can think of is the change in temp. could have made the glass week. But that is crazy Id call GM and ask them if they know.
GM would probably refer me to their lawyers!
Old 01-20-2005, 12:18 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 98Z-6Speed
Yesterday I am cruising down the interstate at around 80 mph when suddenly, the passenger side T top glass explodes! POW! Glass everywhere. I was not under a bridge, so I did not get something dropped on me. The T top was still snuggly locked in place. It just exploded. If it would have been the drivers side......

Anyone else ever have this happen?
Maybe a mustang blew by! just kidding, hope you figure it out.
Old 01-20-2005, 01:21 PM
Staging Lane

Let's examine the evidence. If nothing hit your car, you must of released a fart that can cause a public health warning . Was there a hole of any sort in your seat? What did you eat that day or the day before? Maybe some buritos? How about nachos?

P.S. Sorry I had to do that but I couldn't fight the temptation.
Old 01-20-2005, 02:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by moyam01
Let's examine the evidence. If nothing hit your car, you must of released a fart that can cause a public health warning . Was there a hole of any sort in your seat? What did you eat that day or the day before? Maybe some buritos? How about nachos?

P.S. Sorry I had to do that but I couldn't fight the temptation.

Come on man, the gas discussion was back on page two!
Old 01-21-2005, 08:51 PM
Teching In

I have heard of MANY of the Syclone and Typhhons shattering glass due to chassis flex. 89 Turbo T/a's too.. Although not the t-tops as they were lexan or some crap. Also there was a recall on grand prixs and Lumina's in the early 90's as the rear windows were explosing when people closed their doors.
Old 01-21-2005, 10:41 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Ryan01228
Also there was a recall on grand prixs and Lumina's in the early 90's as the rear windows were explosing when people closed their doors.
LOL are you serious? **** i better watch out when i close my door

Anyways bro, i think i found out what happened to your T-Top.
Did any honda civic by any chance pass next to you? Because it might have been the VTEC kicking in, and from all the thrust, it must have shattered the weakest spot of your car, so im guessing the civic was on your right.
Old 01-21-2005, 11:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 777
heat can shatter glass...i was walking to my mom's car one day and the back window just shattered they came and fixed it and said sometimes heat will just shatter a window...it's very strange i know

can't a sudden change in temperature cause that to happen? what happens to a ice cube when you put in warm glass with warm liquid? it cracks
Old 01-21-2005, 11:29 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,723 Likes on 1,235 Posts

Originally Posted by ws6gluemaker
can't a sudden change in temperature cause that to happen? what happens to a ice cube when you put in warm glass with warm liquid? it cracks
Yep. A bunch of years back I had an '88 Buick Skylark. It was winter time and I had left the car idling in the street to warm up before I went to work. I had the defogger on full blast. When I got back in the car I had a nice long crack all the way along the entire windshield. I think it started from a weak point where a rock had made a decent sized chip/crack previously in that window. But this big cracked came months after the rock chip, and I had used the defogger MANY times on full hot without this happening. That one day it just finally let go.

My point? Maybe your T-top had a small chip, gash, fracture, etc., therefore it was weakened in a certain spot. Then, whether it be from body flex or change in temp, it just blew out from that weak spot on out. Just a thought.
Old 01-22-2005, 12:01 AM
TECH Junkie

t-tops are made of tempered glass, it just shatters instead of cracking. i dunno if we will ever know what happened. chassis flex of some sort is my best guess.
Old 01-22-2005, 12:21 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd say something hit it and bounced. Do a little mythbusting and find out. ha ha
I thought tempered glass was easier to break when it gets hit on an edge. there wasnt a spot where the weather strip was worn down?
Old 01-22-2005, 04:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Wow, that's intense. I don't know what I'd do. I've been thinking about it for the past 20 minutes or so (as this thread is for days long and takes forever to read), the bridge you were under seems to be more than a cooincidence. My vote goes for something hit you and bounced off w/ out comming into the cab. If you'd hit a bump, you would know, and you were on the freeway, so body flex was non-existant. Temps can break glass, but I've never heard of anything like that. ... Crazyness indeed though.
Old 01-24-2005, 03:23 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by WS6T/A98
LOL are you serious? **** i better watch out when i close my door

Anyways bro, i think i found out what happened to your T-Top.
Did any honda civic by any chance pass next to you? Because it might have been the VTEC kicking in, and from all the thrust, it must have shattered the weakest spot of your car, so im guessing the civic was on your right.
Totally serious about the Grand Prix and Lumina thing. I knew TWO people who had it happe. It actually happened when they closed the door form the garage into the house. The car was all sealed up and closed a few feet away. There was a TSB on it...New glass=Free
Old 01-24-2005, 07:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Wow that sux man. I would have to say a rock hit it or something.
Old 01-24-2005, 09:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

It's gotta be the BCS
Old 01-24-2005, 10:22 PM
On The Tree

Holy Crap!! Hope you were okay!
Old 01-25-2005, 12:09 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by luvmeZ28
thats a new one to me. that would have scared the crap out of me. surely something fell from the sky, from somewhere?

From the sky, huh? Maybe E.T. throw something at him
Old 01-25-2005, 03:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by thebatman411
From the sky, huh? Maybe E.T. throw something at him

Old 01-25-2005, 05:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

That sucks, id sue someone

Quick Reply: Ever had a T top explode while driving?