New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

average oil consumption?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2005, 11:51 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lucas is crap...it turns your oil into a thick aerated mess.....also increases bearing wear.with the average LS1 expect 1qt every 1500 miles...i don't care how you drive it.These engines are put together with loose piston clearances...gonna eat some oil.
Old 03-03-2005, 06:03 AM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by psykoTA
The oil and air go through the catch can before returning to behind the TB. The oil condenses inside the can and then drips to the bottom, the air then is sucked out. The design of the can keeps any oil from going back into the intake.

I highly recommend doing this if you suspect your PCV system is drawing in oil. The oil thats in it, I just dispose of. Also, I have pics on my website of where I mounted it, I believe Page 2 or 3.
I highly recommend a catch-can as well. I had little oil consumption on my 02 Z28, but some nasty piston slap while using Castrol 5W30 semi-synthetic. I switched to Mobile-1 10W30, which quieted the piston slap some. Anyhow, even with little oil burn, the catch can collects about 2 teaspoons of oil per month. That's two teaspoons that would be in my intake otherwise! Good chance if you're going through a quart every 1500 miles, even ore oil is making it's way past the PCV into the intake.

I have a catch can made by AMS. I mounted mine next to the radiator on the driver's side.

Schantin
2002 Camaro Z28 M6

Quick Reply: average oil consumption?