Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Downshifting vs. neutral

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2005, 12:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Downshifting vs. neutral

Is it better to downshift when coming to a stop or is it okay to just put the car in neutral and use the brakes to stop it?
Also, while at a stop is it better on the clutch to have it in nuetral rather than keeping it in 1st?

Thanks!
Old 02-25-2005, 12:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

put in neutral and let the clutch out...it's better...downshifting will wear out the clutch...and leaving the clutch in and keeping it in first i've heard is not real good for the hydraulics...not that it will hurt anything anytime soon...i've just heard the less you use it the longer it lasts...
Old 02-25-2005, 01:09 PM
CT Hotness

heard the same as 777
Old 02-25-2005, 01:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Downshifting to slow down stresses your drivetrain.

Just coast in neutral.

Be good to your car.
Old 02-25-2005, 01:19 PM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

Everything 777 said, I used to downshift a lot when I first got my car. Now I almost always put it in nuetral when coming to a stop, instead of downshifting. I would rather wear down the brakes instead of the clutch. When stopped I always put it in nuetral.
Old 02-25-2005, 01:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Anybody ever have any trouble once you put it in nuetral at a light w/ the clutch out and then you go to put it in first w/ the clutch in and it is pretty difficult to get the car back into 1st?
Old 02-25-2005, 01:23 PM
TECH Addict

come on guys, u gotta downshift now and then....gettin out there and playin with the gears is all part of the fun!! i agree tho, for the most part, its probably best to coast...and if u dont have to actually stop, just give the throttle a good nudge and throw it in the correct gear depending on how fast you are going.
Old 02-25-2005, 01:24 PM
Launching!

Ive heard that keeping in neutral causes less wear on the throwout bearing, if you can double clutch/rev match, then the wear on the clutch/drivetrain will be pretty much nothing. I know in some cars, while slowing down in gear, the injectors will shut off, so you're not using any gas. Not sure if this is the case with LS1s though.
Old 02-25-2005, 01:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks a lot for your replies. I've always put it in nuetral rather than downshifting but somebody told me that it's better to downshift so I was just looking for more opinions.
Old 02-25-2005, 01:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Neutral is better. Think of it this way....which is cheaper...a clutch or brake pads?
Old 02-25-2005, 01:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

It’s also better to keep the car stock because it’s easier on parts. Just drive it and have fun. I have seen cars babied that don't last as long as cars that are driven hard. It’s all about the maintenance.
Old 02-25-2005, 01:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, I've always coasted to stops in neutral.
Old 02-25-2005, 01:57 PM
Staging Lane

YOu should ALWAYS keep your car in gear while at a traffic stop, and at all other times in traffic. The reason is not some vague notion of one part wearing faster than another, but rather simple defensive driving: How are you going to take split second, reflexive action to avoid an accident when you aren't in the right gear to accelerate?

Tony
Old 02-25-2005, 03:56 PM
Staging Lane

Bad news: Your car will wear out, and a clutch is considered a 'wearable' item. When it's shot, replace it, end of story. Nothing you can do other than not driving will prevent this. I never see anyone asking if they should only drive 25mph because coming to a stop from that speed would make your brakes last longer. Yes, there are things to you can do to increase it's useable life, but if you're worried about this amount of clutch wear, you don't have enough to do. If you're really concerned about performance you're not going to hold out on replacing that 200K clutch just because the disk isn't completely worn yet anyway.

Worse news: Either way you do it, it's much more likely that you will either sell the car, or some dumbass will smash it at an intersection long before the clutch needs to be replaced. The insurance co. won't give you any more $ for your car even if you tell them you really "babied that stock clutch along". Enjoy coming to a stop however you like best and consider yourself lucky if you own the car long enough to replace the clutch in it. It's not that big of a deal.

That being said, I personally do both, depending on if I'm really in the mood to hear the Loudmouth rumble or just cruising along.

Last edited by TYR_FRYR; 02-25-2005 at 04:07 PM.
Old 02-25-2005, 04:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

When i had a manual I usually only dowshifted if i was coming to a stop down a hill, just to save the brakes.

Dont leave your car in first at idle though... leave it in neutral
Old 02-25-2005, 05:00 PM
Teching In

My .02

When at a stop I always try and keep the car in neutral if I know I'm going to be stopped for a while. It's hard on the throw-out bearing to hold pressure against it like that (same as if you drive down the road with your foot resting on the clutch).

If it's hard for you to get the car back into first then put it in second before you attempt to put it into first. That usually works but if it doesn't then put it in second and ease up off the clutch to get the car to creep and then put it into first (it should go right it).

As Muerte_X said, if you downshift correctly you aren't going to wear the clutch out or stress the drivetrain, it requires you to rev match correctly. I downshift all the time and have had zero problems with all the cars that I drive. Coming to a stop light I usually won't downshift pass third since I can roll almost to a stop in third although sometimes I'll use second if I'm coming up on a corner. I almost never try to downshift into first since it seems to be hard on it (all the different transmissions I've shifted never seem to like to go into first from a good role).

-Mike-

EDIT:
Accidently posted this under my dad's sn, I'm Screamn03
Old 02-25-2005, 05:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

I guess I'm in big trouble then cause I live around some winding roads and I use the clutch to slow down going into a turn so that I'm in the right gear when I accelerate out of the turn. Of course I could just slow down a little and use my brakes but then I might as well sell the Camaro cause I really look forward to those tight curves.
But on normal roads I mostly use brakes (but sometimes it's still fun to downshift and enjoy that wonderful sound (especially when slowing down beside a Honda with a fart can)).
Old 02-25-2005, 05:39 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Muerte_X
Ive heard that keeping in neutral causes less wear on the throwout bearing, if you can double clutch/rev match, then the wear on the clutch/drivetrain will be pretty much nothing. I know in some cars, while slowing down in gear, the injectors will shut off, so you're not using any gas. Not sure if this is the case with LS1s though.
Is double clutching rev matching? Or are they two seperate things. I've always heard of double clutching, but never understood what the hell it was. I know about rev matching, it's just the double clutching I'm confused on.
Old 02-25-2005, 08:26 PM
TECH Veteran

I put it in neutral then just use the brakes to stop.
Old 02-25-2005, 08:41 PM
Launching!

I've always been partial to downshifting. It sounds more intimidating, and if the light changes before you stop you're already ready to go. Hell' to quote Black Z/28 I've downshifted automatics with exhaust if it pisses off the kid in the Honda with a fart can! He gats pissed when his girlfriend is sittning shotgun and you take him out of the hole!

Quick Reply: Downshifting vs. neutral