Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6 Speed Vs. Automatic?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2005, 10:42 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb 6 Speed Vs. Automatic?

HELLO, I AM NEW TO THIS GROUP AND I AM ENJOYING THE INFORMATION THAT IS SHARED BY THOSE OF YOU THAT HAVE BEEN DOING THIS FOR A WHILE. I AM CONSIDERING BUYING A 2005 GTO AND I AM TRYING TO DECIDE BETWEEN A 6 SPEED AND AN AUTOMATIC. CAN ANY OF YOU SHARE THE PROS AND CONS OF THE CHOICE BETWEEN THE TWO? I HAVE OWNED PERFORMANCE CARS IN THE PAST BUT WITH MNAUAL AND AUTOMATIC BUT NOTHING RECENTLY WITH THE NEWER TECHNOLOGY.
THANK YOU IN ADVANCE FOR SHARING YOUR OPINIONS.
OLDTIMER
Old 03-02-2005, 10:46 PM
TECH Junkie

First you must turn off the caps lock.

This has been covered a thousand times before, try perfoming a search.

Are you looking to cruise or race?
Old 03-02-2005, 11:00 PM
12 Second Club

Depends on what you want to do. If you want to drag race the car, get an auto and put a nice torque converter in it. If you want a fun daily driver, and don't mind driving a standard during traffic(don't know if you have to deal with much traffic) then get the manual.
Old 03-02-2005, 11:03 PM
FormerVendor

either way...whatever you get you will eventually want the other

but if you want to drag race alot...go with the automatic
Old 03-02-2005, 11:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Good lord, not another opinion thread. Now I know how JRP must feel

I got a manual. It's more fun to drive, and you don't have to worry about matching the right torque converter to your car. Unless you drag race a lot, I would get the manual. Just my opinion, take it with a grain of salt, along with everyone elses, and go with whichever one you like.
Old 03-02-2005, 11:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'd also recommend the M6. A lot more fun to drive imo.
Old 03-02-2005, 11:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have a manual, and would never in a million years trade it for an auto. I drag race, and is my daily driver. WAY more fun to drive than an auto. For an auto to get the kick an m6 gets, plan on droppen some major cash. Thats my 2 cents, im out!
Old 03-02-2005, 11:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm into autos. They're just more consistant and they remove the element of driver error. Plus with a stall they should be as fast or faster then an equally modified manual car. However, from a roll you just can't beat manual selection of your gear. Both transmissions have their advatages and disadvatages from an acceleration standpoint. I'd just go with whatever you prefer driving around.
Old 03-02-2005, 11:34 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was the same as the other members and had manual cars. Now I like the auto more. It's nice just to throw it in drive and go. Never have to worry about missing a gear either. Also if you race for cash auto all the way. I have lost money on friends cars missing gears in a race. I dont care what anyone says, everyone misses a gear here and there, just some more then others.
Old 03-02-2005, 11:38 PM
10 Second Club

Well, I originally wanted a M6, but after 6-8 weeks of searching I wound up buying an A4. Well, long story short, lots of mods (see sig) and 18 months later the thirst for a manual had to be quenched. So I traded off my pride and joy after removing all I could get away with (dealer liked it with the mods) and now own EXACTLY what I wanted from the start, color and everything. I couldn't be happier and there's NO way I'd ever have another auto unless I could have two cars LOL. The feeling you get from the M6 is priceless IMHO. Bottom line......get what YOU want. Good luck and happy shopping
Old 03-03-2005, 12:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

if you want to run it hard and have the extra control the manual is the way to go but if you don't want to shifting all the time in traffic and around town then the auto might be a bettter choice. In my opinion manual outweighs the auto.
Old 03-03-2005, 12:12 AM
TECH Resident

I personally prefer the auto's, manual would be fun to drive, but I like to play around with the radio alot. If you ARE going to race, you don't have to worry about stalling out, missing a gear, replacing a clutch ( if your not a good M6 driver ). Don't get me wrong, I like the auto's ( mostly because the TA I'm getting is auto ) but if it was M6 It wouldn't stop me from buying it, I just wouldn't race the car as much or as often... and it just seems like it is a hell of alot easier to do a burnout in a A4

As for the GTO, I'd probably get the Auto, just because of the way the car feels when you put it from P to D and the rear drops down, it's awesome
Old 03-03-2005, 12:41 AM
10 Second Club

When it come to having fun as far as street racing goes, I used to race my wifes (when I had one ) 97 5spd cavalier against my buddy in his girlfriends 97 auto Z24 cavalier. I had more fun than when I raced my car LOL, just because I LOVE to bang gears. Everytime I drove that car I was like man I need a 6spd so bad. This debate will never end, because as it's been said MANY times, it's all personal preference. But for me it will forever be
Old 03-03-2005, 12:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

You ask me what YOU should get and Ill ask you......What do you want?

Just get what YOU want. Your the one going to drive it.
Old 03-03-2005, 01:50 AM
TECH Resident

I like auto. No missed shifts, no going from 5th to 1st gear and bending pushrods. But its all about what you like...
Old 03-03-2005, 02:21 AM
Banned

AHAHHAHAH HOT02SS I think you have to be REAL moron to ever go from 1st to 5th, i dont think i have ever missed a shift.... its really quite simple and fun to have a stick, but an auto is great for freeway traffic!!!!!!!! Ahh the times i wish i could just change to an auto for like a few hours!! AHAHh
Old 03-03-2005, 02:32 AM
Launching!

Go with the manual!!! Lets just say, i wish i had.
Old 03-03-2005, 03:43 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

where the hell did i put that dam seach key?

best advice on here so far has come from 2muchrice....
i'll add to it.
find a dealer that has both.... test drive both.... the one that leaves a bigger smile on your face, buy....
Old 03-03-2005, 04:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

If your confident in your shifting/clutch skills Id say go with the stick.....if you race or not. I got bored with dag racing autos...just so much more fun to be on the edge you know? With the auto, if you've got traction all worked out, its pretty much just stall the car up and stab the throttle...

Plus its cool when you race and people freak out when you shift the stick so quick they wonder if its an auto Plus it just sounds cool lol.

Although, now I am thinking about parking the '99 and getting another Silverado for a daily driver...not because Im tired of shifting, I just hate to use it as a daily driver & my other cars werent really intended as D/Ds...but are set up for it.

*Really, I think you should go test drive an auto & a manual.* It's pretty much up to you. It doesnt matter if they are Z28 or SS, they are all pretty similar in performance..I think if your are really into fast cars you'll pick the manual though. It just feels more brutal. The auto on the other hand, you dont have to be on your toes if someone pulls next to you and wants to race, no thinking about rpms, clutch pressure, shift speed, what gear to select, etc

I will say it becomes second nature after a while...

Felix: about being able to play with the radio controls constantly...I can honestly say thats the first time I ever thought about a manual hindering my ability to select a station or whatever ..and I have 4.11s...

But it is true..add sticky tires and you begin to worry about those clutch-dump burnouts...I havent done one since I got the Drag Radials except when staging for a race...
Old 03-03-2005, 05:51 AM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

If you like to eat in your car, live in a congested metropolitan area, or drag race a lot, get an auto.

If you want slightly better fuel economy and like to row the gears, get the manual.

I've had both in Z28's myself. I personally prefer the 6-speed. Better for the street, but that's just my $0.02. It's all preference.......so.........whatever makes you happy.

Schantin
2002 Camaro Z28 M6