Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

M6 A4 What the difference

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2005, 01:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by darrensls1formula
I didn't take it personally as me and only me. But I did take it as a shot of a group that I am a member of. The A4 F-body group. I used to think that F-body owners were all a brotherhood so to speak but then I became a regular at a few forums and discovered a few things.

LT1 guys tend to hate LS1 guys. M6 guys tend to make fun of A4 guys. And everyone hates domestic rice. Well the third one I happen to agree with

But the other two are just stupid and childish. Manuals are a lot of fun and I definately want one some day. But lets be honest here. Most F-body owners will never see a road course or autocross. But most F-body owners will drag race either at a track or on the street. And I'll put my money on the stalled A4 over the M6 any day and twice on Sundy. Will they always win? No. Will they usually win? yes.

To be honest I was more insulted by unit213's posts then JRP. To even suggest that automatics are inferior to manuals at the drag stip even when using high stall torque converters =
Unit tends to go with anything JRP says. He doesn't appear to have too many thoughts of his own. I've learned this reading their posts over time...

I agree with you, it's too bad the F-Body group can't be one happy family.
Old 03-23-2005, 02:03 PM
B T
Launching!

I'm cunfused.

I will probably catch pure hell for asking this but I will anyway.

How would a M6 be "superior" to the A4 in Autocross?

I sometimes downshift ( when I want to just by matching the rpm and mph per gear selected as you would in a manual trans my A4 including high speed downshifts and for cornnering just like an M6 car and it seems to work just as well as my manual trans RX-7 turbo.

The only benifit I can see would be the M6 has 2 extra gears for better top end acceleration and perhaps "slightly" better exiting corners.

Would some one please show me the light?
Old 03-23-2005, 02:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by B T
I'm cunfused.

I will probably catch pure hell for asking this but I will anyway.

How would a M6 be "superior" to the A4 in Autocross?

I sometimes downshift ( when I want to just by matching the rpm and mph per gear selected as you would in a manual trans my A4 including high speed downshifts and for cornnering just like an M6 car and it seems to work just as well as my manual trans RX-7 turbo.

The only benifit I can see would be the M6 has 2 extra gears for better top end acceleration and perhaps "slightly" better exiting corners.

Would some one please show me the light?
I would think whenever you have a track that has twists and turns the manual cars will do better because you can downshift for a turn and not have to wait for a computer to kick the transmission in the right gear after the turn when you go WoT again. It may feel just as fast but I'll bet a clock would tell a slightly different tale. I'm no autocross/road racing expert so that's just a guess as to why they are better.

I don't think sixth gear helps them that much in road courses but it definately gives them better gas mileage on the highway getting to the road course.
Old 03-23-2005, 02:25 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That's fine because my argument was only intended to be one dimensional. But I wasn't the one who came here and basically called people names was I? People in thier 30's who are proud of thier cars don't take kindly to anyone calling them a "boy" just because of the transmission they have in thier car. You (being an M6 owner) are superior on a road course and that's fine. You are superior at autocross and that's fine. Hell you are superior on the highway and that's fine too. But Automatics are superior at the drag strip and you can not take that away from us no matter how hard some may try. And when most people look at or think of Camaros and Trans Ams they think of drag racing whether it's stop light to stop light or at a NHRA track.

I'll defend automatics until the day I die and that includes when I have a M6 F-body, Vette or Cobra because I want a fast manual car too. The automatic can rip down the track and the M6 can pull the trailer getting it there
anybody who took my first post as anything other then a joke needs thicker skin. guesss people cant read emitiocons.

who is denying that autamatics are superior in drag racing , i dont think anyone with half a brain would deny that.
Old 03-23-2005, 02:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

who is denying that autamatics are superior in drag racing , i dont think anyone with half a brain would deny that.
i don't think anyone can deny the fact that m6's are extremely fun to drive either
Old 03-23-2005, 02:36 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I didn't take it personally as me and only me. But I did take it as a shot of a group that I am a member of. The A4 F-body group. I used to think that F-body owners were all a brotherhood so to speak but then I became a regular at a few forums and discovered a few things.

LT1 guys tend to hate LS1 guys. M6 guys tend to make fun of A4 guys. And everyone hates domestic rice. Well the third one I happen to agree with

But the other two are just stupid and childish. Manuals are a lot of fun and I definately want one some day. But lets be honest here. Most F-body owners will never see a road course or autocross. But most F-body owners will drag race either at a track or on the street. And I'll put my money on the stalled A4 over the M6 any day and twice on Sunday. Will they always win? No. Will they usually win? yes.

To be honest I was more insulted by unit213's posts then JRP. To even suggest that automatics are inferior to manuals at the drag stip even when using high stall torque converters =
dude, your putting words in peoples mouths that were never uttered. go seach every single of my 8400 post and find any place i've stated that automatics are inferior to manuals in drag racing.

either way i could give a **** about drag racing, i build my car for open tracking and HPDE's .
Old 03-23-2005, 02:56 PM
B T
Launching!

I would think whenever you have a track that has twists and turns the manual cars will do better because you can downshift for a turn and not have to wait for a computer to kick the transmission in the right gear after the turn when you go WoT again. It may feel just as fast but I'll bet a clock would tell a slightly different tale. I'm no autocross/road racing expert so that's just a guess as to why they are better.

I don't think sixth gear helps them that much in road courses but it definately gives them better gas mileage on the highway getting to the road course.
I would think whenever you have a track that has twists and turns the manual cars will do better because you can downshift for a turn and not have to wait for a computer to kick the transmission in the right gear after the turn when you go WoT again.
>>>

I see, but I have noticed if you rpm ( use the throttle ) match the gear for the downshift ( just as you would in a manual for heavy decel ) mph you don't have to "wait" for the computer to make the downshift. It just goes into the gear acting very much like a stick would do.
It will bypass what the computer "will do" and just downshift the gear instead of "waiting".
Maybe it's just my trans or the way I drive/shift/throttle it

I did have the trans rebuilt and the guy did say he put a shift kit in it but I think he was full of it because a friend of mine said it would shift alot harder if it did have a kit.

I do know what your talking about when you say "wait" because it will take "time" if you let the computer make the downshift without rpm matching the gear.
Mine will bypass what the computer "will do" and just downshift into the selected gear ( depending on mph and gear selected, obviously if I select 1st gear at 70 MPH the computer won't let it go into 1st until the mph is within the mph that I can get out of 1st gear at or below redline ) if I "punch" the gas as I downshift the gear manualy.

computer to kick the transmission in the right gear after the turn when you go WoT again
>>>
You can hold the manually selected gear or shift up (manually) as needed for the corners.

I see what you mean about 6th unless the M6 is running a really high rear gear then it could utilize 6th.

Maybe my car/driving style is just nutz.

I don't know, But I know I have a headache now lol.
Old 03-23-2005, 03:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by jrp
dude, your putting words in peoples mouths that were never uttered. go seach every single of my 8400 post and find any place i've stated that automatics are inferior to manuals in drag racing.

either way i could give a **** about drag racing, i build my car for open tracking and HPDE's .
I wasn't talking about you or any post you made with the autos are inferior to manuals at the drag strip. That one was meant for Unit213. The comment I referred towards you was the one about the top seven guys on this sites ET database needing to see the light so they can be men. That of course was sarcastic towards your comment about one is driven by men and the other is driven by boys.

I don't need to search 8400 posts to find that. It's right here on page one, post #3

I think it's great that your building your car for open tracking and HPDE's. I believe it's your right to not give a **** about drag racing. But was it absolutely necassary to insult other F-body owners because they choose to go a different path with thier cars then you did?

Ohh I see, you were joking with that comment. I must have missed the J/K after the comment. Perhaps that's because it wasn't there
Old 03-23-2005, 10:23 PM
12 Second Club

JPR/ You must have no traffic problems where you live. Everytime I get stuck in rush hour I thank god I don't have an M6
Old 03-23-2005, 11:07 PM
B T
Launching!

Originally Posted by DRACO911
JPR/ You must have no traffic problems where you live. Everytime I get stuck in rush hour I thank god I don't have an M6

Old 03-24-2005, 01:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ohh I see, you were joking with that comment. I must have missed the J/K after the comment. Perhaps that's because it wasn't there
It was there in the shape of a **.

Cool out. JRP is not fueling some BS fire between M6 and A4 guys. The most hostility I detected in this whole thread was in your posts. This whole site is a "brotherhood" save for a few people who need to clean the poop out of their skull. But they come and go, that's how it is.
Old 03-24-2005, 01:48 AM
TECH Regular

This whole site is a "brotherhood" save for a few people who need to clean the poop out of their skull.
So damn funny I dont know what to say.
Old 03-24-2005, 01:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

no matter what anyone says, I like my A4, id also like to have an M6, but I dont care what others say about autos, cause I KNOW WHAT I LIKE. Whenever my mustang friends make fun of my automatic, I tell em to: "Shut up, or line up!" They shut up. LS1 camaros and Firebirds demand respect no matter what transmission they have (considering the transmission is in one piece). Lets be honest, my stock auto will not compete well with an M6 on the highway unless it a race from either 65, or 25. On the other hand, at the strip my car will do somewhat better, assuming my tires help out a bit. One thing that hasnt been mentioned is that the auto transmission, with the help of an aftermarket tranny cooler, can handle a large amount of hp, usaully more than the m6, and with a stall will compete very equally in a race against an M6 from a roll.

To be honest though, what fries my bacon the most is that M6 cars get like 20+ to the gallon, and I usaully only see 18 to 19. Sounds stupid, but at 2.30 a gallon, I like to be driving a M6 right now. Even in daily traffic.

Regardless, I bought my car because I fell in love with it. And a big thumbs up to all LS1 auto brothers. When the M6 guys get anxious, just remind em that on a hot day, we can drive in congested traffic and break out a bottle of Dasani water AT THE SAME TIME!!!! (no pop allowed in my car)
Old 03-24-2005, 02:10 AM
11 Second Club

I also vote for A4. With my set-up and with 342 gears and a 3,200 stall it puts a smile on my face every time I nail it.
Old 03-24-2005, 10:16 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SSCam99
Unit tends to go with anything JRP says. He doesn't appear to have too many thoughts of his own. I've learned this reading their posts over time...
Great minds think alike.

P.S. **** off dumbass.
Old 03-24-2005, 10:19 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

A4's are definately not where it's at. I plan on dumping mine within 2 years for a TH400. But if you want to talk top of the food chain around here....

https://ls1tech.com/forums/etdb.php

You'll notice the top 7 are all automatics. Not A4's of course but A2 or A3 is still an automatic none the less. So IMO A2>A3>M6>A4. But I will say this in defense of the few M6's on that list. Most of them can drive themselves to the track where I'm sure most (if not all) the automatics are pulled on a trailer.

P.S. I guess those top seven "boys" need to learn the error of thier ways so they can become "men"
A4's are great when you get past 140mph in the traps. I never said automatics are bad. In fact, they are awesome at the track. They just suck *** for daily driving.

...and my buddy runs a manual tranny in his SSO car that runs 200mph in the 1/4mile.
Old 03-24-2005, 10:26 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by unit213
They just suck *** for daily driving.
In your opinion.
Old 03-24-2005, 10:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by unit213
A4's are great when you get past 140mph in the traps. I never said automatics are bad. In fact, they are awesome at the track. They just suck *** for daily driving.

...and my buddy runs a manual tranny in his SSO car that runs 200mph in the 1/4mile.
Actually they KICK *** for daily driving. Especially in heavy downtown traffic. Having a 3500-4000 stall torque converter makes daily driving a whole lotta fun at any and every red light you come across.

That's awesome about your buddy running 200 mph traps. Not sure how that fits into this discussion but that is awesome none the less. Must be a beast of a car.

Manuals arn't for everyone. Autos arn't for everyone. But a properly setup auto with just the right mix of cam, stall, bolt-ons & N20 can kick major butt at the track, be fun as hell to drive on the street and still not break the 10 bolt rear end. I used to be a manual or nothing guy myself many years ago. But the Colonel over here at LS1tech showed me the advantages to not being stuck in a fast and the furious mindset of you have to shift yourself or it's not fun/fast.

I havn't seen him post here in quite some time though. I wonder what he's been up to lately.
Old 03-24-2005, 11:05 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by transam69230
...what is the difference,..?
One shifts automatically controlled by the computer, and the other- you shift through the gears.

lol just playing around

Generally M6's will have a 15-17% drivetrain loss in hp so 350 bhp- 15/17%= rwhp

A4 will have more along the lines of 18-20% drivetrain loss so 350 bhp- 18/20%= rwhp

A4's are more efficient, M6's give more live action adn the fun factor.
Because of the gearing the M6 has a higher Top End, and also will pull harder in teh higher gears then the A4. A4 3rd gear is a 1:1 where the M6 is something like 1.25:1 so its shorter but is long enough to pull harder then the 1:1 this is why the 3rd gear is so notorious.

JMHO

Adam
Old 03-24-2005, 12:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jrp
ones for men, the others for boys
men- know auto is the way to go.
boys- have to get 6speeds to make themselves feel big