Sponsored by:

!muffler vs. Cat Back

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2005, 06:09 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question !muffler vs. Cat Back

Hey guys,

Just bought the car this week and everything is stock with the exception of the previous owner removing the muffler and having a pipes fabbed where the muffler should be to look like stock exhaust pipes coming out (surprisingly quite until you get into the upper rpms).

I know that our stock exhausts actually flow pretty decent, but would leaving the exhaust the way currently is be more of a gain vs just adding an aftermarket catback with the mandrel bend pipes?
I'm really just curious.
Old 03-19-2005, 08:38 PM
TECH Regular

considering most cat backs come with 3 inch pipes i would assume that putting a good flowing cat back on would gain u some more hp. and i have the slp loud mouth and its pretty just straiht through with out restrictions. just a little budlge in the pipe.
Old 03-19-2005, 09:07 PM
RIP April 14, 2008

Location: the land where cars repeatedly hit my bumper when I'm in the store...

if the pipes on there now are not mandrel bent, you may see a few more HP coming out of a mandrel bent catback, as they are much less restrictive of airflow.

brad
Old 03-20-2005, 12:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2002BLKWS6
I know that our stock exhausts actually flow pretty decent,
I believe your thinking of the '01 and '02 exhaust manifolds. They flow at or near the same level as shorty headers. The whole system is not a good flowing setup due to emissions and decibel restrictions from the factory.

If the picture I'm getting in my head is accurate then you currently have something of a rigged up loudmouth. The I pipe goes over the axle and splits into two single pipes that go straight out the tips. If your somewhat happy with the fact that it's moderately quiet until upper RPM's then you can leave it the way it is and just get a cut out for your I-pipe. Save some cash and get the gains when you want them.

If you do go with an aftermarket catback, I believe you will see some gains there. Dont expect it to peel your eyelids back but it'll be there.
Old 03-20-2005, 12:44 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LSWannabe
I believe your thinking of the '01 and '02 exhaust manifolds. They flow at or near the same level as shorty headers. The whole system is not a good flowing setup due to emissions and decibel restrictions from the factory.

If the picture I'm getting in my head is accurate then you currently have something of a rigged up loudmouth. The I pipe goes over the axle and splits into two single pipes that go straight out the tips. If your somewhat happy with the fact that it's moderately quiet until upper RPM's then you can leave it the way it is and just get a cut out for your I-pipe. Save some cash and get the gains when you want them.

If you do go with an aftermarket catback, I believe you will see some gains there. Dont expect it to peel your eyelids back but it'll be there.

Agreed. But if you go with a Catback do some research so you get what is best for you and to avoid a worse setup.
Old 03-20-2005, 12:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Above all else, whatever you do make sure it flows better than what you've got now.
Old 03-20-2005, 12:59 AM
TECH Junkie

my friend has actually done this to his car also....he just put pipes in place of where of the muffler goes.... sounds LOUD when he goes WOT... he has LTs, h/c, BUT its louder when he opens up the electric cut-out....
Old 03-20-2005, 10:55 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by LSWannabe

You're thinking correctly... thats exactly what the previous owner did. The I Pipe goes over the axel and then it splits into 2 single pipes.

I guess from what everyone is saying i will probably hold off on a catback system for a while, and right now i will keep researching and focus on doin some of the free mods and getting a lid.

Thanks for the Fedback Everybody