Sponsored by:

Dodge newb has Q's

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2005, 07:24 AM
TMW
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dodge newb has Q's

Heyy my name is tom and Im a 2005 Dodge SRT-4 owner. Im a big fan of the t/a's . So I was just browsing around and I came onto highres autoimages .com or whatever. And it kinda dawned on me. Everyone says the Camaro, Firebird and the Transam are the same cars. Now someone help me here.

Question Lineup!!!- (all bear to the 90's - 02' cars)

1. How are they the same? They look a lot different. I know that Chevrolet and Pontiac are under GM together, and their both FR cars, but eh?

2. Whats the difference between an SS and a Z28 Camaro

3. WS6 is a V8 right? Or is it the same engine as all Transams/firebirds/formulas/camaros

4. Difference between LS1 and WS6?

5. What the HELL is a firebird "formula", and whats the difference between a Trans am and a Firebird?

6. What is your guys opinion of the best car out of the whole bunch pertaining to performance.

7. How much would a 2002 WS6 Ram Air Transam with a decent amount of miles (30-50k miles) run for?

8 is it expensive to mod them into the 12's?

Whew.

Thanks to anyone that answers with some good info.
Old 04-04-2005, 08:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

1. same platform(suspension, drivetrain, frame), different body panels, hatch, hood, bumpers, rims, interior and some other minor things.

2. SS camaro has bigger wheels, better suspension, ss catback exhaust, and the ram air(kinda). along with the hood spoiler and decals. also has a power steering cooler. its not much faster than a base z28, but is a lot cooler .

3. ws6 option is just like the SS option for the camaro. it takes a trans am and adds the ram air hood, exhaust, etc. the ws6 is supposed to be the fastest stock wise.

4. ls1 is the v8 motor in all trans ams, ws6s, z28s and SS's. also any newer v8 car is an ls1, mostly in every new truck you see.

5. a firebird is a v6. the formula is a firebird with a ls1 v8. the transam is a firebird with the ls1 v8, ground effects and spoiler. ws6 is a transam with the stuff mentioned in answer 3.

6. ws6

7. try autotrader.com. ws6 is the most expensive out of the whole bunch.

8. some are running 12s from the factory. with traction and basic boltons you should get there.
Old 04-04-2005, 08:39 AM
11 Second Club

1. They both are on the F-body platform, the simplist way to say this is, same car, different bodies panels

2. hood, spolier, muffler, badges, suspension(i think), wheels, price tag

3. WS6 is the RPO code for a handleing package on Firebirds

4. LS1 is the name of the Gen III V8 small-block which is made of aluminum, and well read #3

5. Formula is just another option, just like you can get a Camaro RS, Z28, or SS. The Formula is the Firebird V6's body but with a V8 in it, and Trans Am is just a Firebird with a different front bumper, spoiler and a V8, its not a different car like some claim it to be, just a model option on the Firebird

6. this will get a bunch of different answers, but id say a 1LE Camaro, because Camaros are generally cheaper than Firebirds, and the 1LE is stripped down version that has all the non-performance stuff removed ( no power windows, no rear-window defroster, ect.....)

7. my friend just bought a 2000 Trans Am, no ram air with 39K on the clock for 15K, so for the car your looking at id say between 18-22K

8. no, if your lucky, some have been known to hit 12s stock, but not all, i was running 13.6 with a lid and a cat-back on 2.73 gears, if your looking for a WS6 RA TA, you will for sure have 3.23 gears, and if your looking into a M6 they come with 3.42s
Old 04-04-2005, 08:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by TMW
Heyy my name is tom and Im a 2005 Dodge SRT-4 owner. Im a big fan of the t/a's . So I was just browsing around and I came onto highres autoimages .com or whatever. And it kinda dawned on me. Everyone says the Camaro, Firebird and the Transam are the same cars. Now someone help me here.

Question Lineup!!!- (all bear to the 90's - 02' cars)

1. How are they the same? They look a lot different. I know that Chevrolet and Pontiac are under GM together, and their both FR cars, but eh?

2. Whats the difference between an SS and a Z28 Camaro

3. WS6 is a V8 right? Or is it the same engine as all Transams/firebirds/formulas/camaros

4. Difference between LS1 and WS6?

5. What the HELL is a firebird "formula", and whats the difference between a Trans am and a Firebird?

6. What is your guys opinion of the best car out of the whole bunch pertaining to performance.

7. How much would a 2002 WS6 Ram Air Transam with a decent amount of miles (30-50k miles) run for?

8 is it expensive to mod them into the 12's?

Whew.

Thanks to anyone that answers with some good info.

1 - Different body and interior, same chassis and motor.

2 - SS is a Z28 that went throught the SLP plant. Basically the SS has a hood with forced induction, better shocks, exhuast, and a higher lip spoiler and I believe theres is a power steeing cooler that Z's dont have. Other options could be order with the SS also mainly suspensions stuff and a few performance mods. Just depends on how its ordered.

3 - WS6, Z28, SS, and Formula all have V8's
93-97 it was the LT1 motor
98-02 it was the LS1 motor

4 - LS1 is the motor and WS6 is the factory code used to determine what kind of car it is at the factory just like Z28.

5 - Basically there is two different types of pontiac F-bodies.
There is the Trans Am which has the high rise spoiler and little bit different setup on the nose of the car as far as placement of the foglights and such.
The Formula is the V8 version of the Firebird which is a V6. The firebird has the attached spoiler and also a slightly different front end.

6 - The performance is the same for all of them basically. I have always heard the Formulas the the slowest of the bunch. For the most part it is the driver unless you get a factory freak.

7 - People like to charge more the last year just because they can. By now though I think a lot of sellers are being more realistic with the numbers. You could get a good low miles WS6 in the range of 18 - 24. Probably even more for the anniversary edition.

8 - Getting into the twelves is not hard at all. I got an SS with headers, exhuast, and power programmer and it is easily in the 12s all day and its an auto with stock 3.23's.

Hope that helps

Mike
Old 04-04-2005, 08:59 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

On different days, a Z28 will be faster than a WS6, and then on another day, a Formula might be faster than a SS. There is no difference. They are all the same. Just depends on driver and conditions. So don't go buying a WS6 just because it's the fastest out of the bunch.

Hypothetically, if you were to take all the models from 98 to 02 with the same driver and same transmission, I would have to say the quickest would probably end up being a 2002 Firehawk simply for the fact is it comes with a lid and catback stock. That can be quelled on any other car with the same mods though, so throw that out the window.

Another thing is the 01/02 cars have an upgraded intake manifold, so they are usually a little quicker than the 98-00 cars out of the box. This is simply remedied though for about $300

I think the other questions have been touched well enough, I just really wanted to throw out there that a LS1 is a LS1 is a LS1.

Oh, and there are no LS1's in trucks. They are Gen III based, but it's NOT a LS1 engine. The 05+ vehicles (cars, trucks, suvs) are all Gen IV, EXCEPT the CTS-V still uses the Gen III LS6.
Old 04-04-2005, 09:01 AM
Staging Lane

Old 04-04-2005, 09:46 PM
TMW
Teching In

thanks for all the help guys. Even though I'm a dodgeboy I'm really in love with the T/A. The ram air hoodscoop and flip open headlights. The girls dig flip open headlights
In all honesty if the area I lived in wasn't filled with hills + really bad winter snow I would have gotten the WS6 T/A. Knowing what I know now that is. It's really bad in the part of Jersey I live in. Theres hardly any flats except for the highway. You're guys cars are mad . I just have a turbo neon . But it sure does git 'er done!

12.338 @ 114.7 with a few mods.

Thanks for all the information guys. Maybe when I move out to Hawaii I'll get a RWD car finnaly. Hopefully a WS6 T/A, TT Supra, or an old Hemi 'Cuda.

thanks again

~Tom