New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

went on a top speed run

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2005, 01:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, the only reason I was nervous at 155 was cuz I kept picturing myself meeting a cop! lol I don't wanna go to jail! These cars feel pretty stable for sure up to 140.
Old 04-14-2005, 01:45 AM
Staging Lane

I'm stationed in Germany so the Autobahn is a normal speed fest for me. Cruising at 130+mph (traffic permitting) for long peroids at a time is a norm. Couldn't tell you my top speed so far since the speedo stops at 155mph but can tell you this, with my set up @ 6800rpms in 5th the speedo is buried. When you can do 300miles in less than 3hrs says something about the LS1 and it's endurance. The Germans are very surprised and sometimes upset by the performance that these cars can put out. Nothing like down shifting from 6th into 4th @ 115mph and taking a Porsche or BMW to town
Old 04-14-2005, 01:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Vertigo
155 here and let me tell you...its just too easy for these cars..almost feels effortless and real smooth for 155. But Damn i wish I had better brakes!
where?
Old 04-14-2005, 07:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Cal
I have a 161 mph run documented through the speed trap on the Bonneville Salt flats; this is a land speed racing track. I was not quite at full throttle, and the car was stock except for a TR224 114 and loud mouth exhuast.

On the freeway in the same area, I've hit 145 numerous times, even in 6th gear with my present setup. Note that these cars are much faster in 5th gear than 6th gear. The last time I did this, I melted a tire and had to change it to get home. For high speed runs like this, make damn sure you have 40 psi or more in all four tires, or they will get too hot and melt. And if the tire has ever had a flat repair done on it, it's only good for 90 mph max. My tire blew a hole plug.

These cars are stable up to 180 mph. Above that, the front end starts to float unless you do the right mods. NataSSInc has been in the low 190's with his LS1 car, running a TR230 cam and long tubes.

I wouldn't go over 140 mph without at least a 4 point roll par and a 5 point harness. Make sure the windows are up all the way, and wear a snell2000 or later helmet.

That's good, sound info right there. That's what that is.
Old 04-14-2005, 09:59 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 01firechicken
I'm stationed in Germany so the Autobahn is a normal speed fest for me. Cruising at 130+mph (traffic permitting) for long peroids at a time is a norm. Couldn't tell you my top speed so far since the speedo stops at 155mph but can tell you this, with my set up @ 6800rpms in 5th the speedo is buried. When you can do 300miles in less than 3hrs says something about the LS1 and it's endurance. The Germans are very surprised and sometimes upset by the performance that these cars can put out. Nothing like down shifting from 6th into 4th @ 115mph and taking a Porsche or BMW to town
Sounds like so much fun
Old 04-14-2005, 11:34 AM
On The Tree

did a side by side 125 run with a buddy of mine, wow its pretty crazy when the car just kinda floats on the road especially when ur right next to some one.
Old 04-14-2005, 11:43 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by luv2spd
Yeah, the only reason I was nervous at 155 was cuz I kept picturing myself meeting a cop! lol I don't wanna go to jail! These cars feel pretty stable for sure up to 140.
I took my SRT-4 with coilovers to 158mph. I wont do over 125 in my Formula it just doesnt feel safe. Maybe after i hit the roadcourse ill get more used to it.
Old 04-14-2005, 03:42 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by psykoTA
where?
I used to be in college at Virginia Tech and I-81 was great for high speed runs!! I was just nervous waiting to see a deer 3miles down the road and not be able to do anything about it...LOL

Psycho...I-95 is right next to ya...have a buddy drive ahead at night sometime and clear you on a 2way and give it a run!!
Old 04-14-2005, 04:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah, I live in the Upper Penninsula of MI. I belive there is only 350-400,000 people in the whole U.P. So its pretty desolate in areas. Yeah I made 2 runs up and down to check for bumps and checked tire pressures and all that to make sure I was OK. BTW its a 3.23 A4
Old 04-14-2005, 04:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Vertigo
I used to be in college at Virginia Tech and I-81 was great for high speed runs!! I was just nervous waiting to see a deer 3miles down the road and not be able to do anything about it...LOL

Psycho...I-95 is right next to ya...have a buddy drive ahead at night sometime and clear you on a 2way and give it a run!!
Hmmm......-9 points on the license, been suspended once, been to driver classes, I may need to slow down some....

Are we meeting tonight?
Old 04-14-2005, 05:38 PM
TECH Junkie

vertigo and pyscho...how far from norfolk are you guys?
Old 04-14-2005, 05:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

As a word of caution to ANYONE, make sure the tires on your car are rated for the speed you intend to go and that they are in good shape. The last thing you want is to blow a tire at 150mph. Just looking out for you guys. Have fun.
Old 04-14-2005, 08:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2ndGenWs6Owner
As a word of caution to ANYONE, make sure the tires on your car are rated for the speed you intend to go and that they are in good shape. The last thing you want is to blow a tire at 150mph. Just looking out for you guys. Have fun.

definitely...there was a kid from a town not too far from mine who was drunk and ramped a hill in his 99TA at 140 and it threw him and the passenger outta the car even though they had the belts on it, it tore the seats out. he's now paralyzed waist down....so speed can kill....but by God its fun!
Old 04-14-2005, 08:30 PM
TECH Resident

Why is everything in this car so much fun but so dangerous to either yourself or your pocketbook....
Old 04-14-2005, 09:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by HMFDZ28
My buddy topped out a T/A M6 @ 168, he used to work at a dealer, so he played quite a bit with new cars. Pretty much if I get in a bad a$$ mood I go driving and there has been many times I have been to 135.
Hey bro, you made it over here too huh. I've gotten up to colse to 170 myself.
Old 04-14-2005, 09:59 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by FelixIlka
Jesus... you guys are friggin crazy.... I've only had the car... a week now and the fastest I've gone is 90 and that got me a lil nervous... jeez.. I'd just be too afraid of deer popping out or something... I'll stick to my stoplight tire burnin and doughnuts.... damn...150+....
Damn 90 is about average spring on the highway at times. Sometimes I've looked down and its at 90 to 100 and hit the brakes so I dont get a ticket. The car rides so damn smooth I dont notice how fast its going unless I look.
Old 04-14-2005, 10:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by super_fro_daddy
....150+ was pretty fast!! I'm gonna go back out there in the next few days with a camera and get a pic of the speedo.
Well, obviously my profession precludes me from approving such an activity as there are soooo many things that can go wrong at these kind of speeds...and don't forget, you're not just putting yourself in danger, but also the other motorists on the road...there, I've said my peace [/PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT]

Now, all that being said, please PLEASE don't attempt to take a picture of your speedometer while operating your vehicle at those speeds...
Old 04-14-2005, 10:33 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lets face it, top speed runs in the public domain add to the inherent danger.
It adds variables to the equation. Not to sound like an old man, but top speed runs and racing is best done at a track where the situation is more controlled. This alone though does not guarantee anything. Has anyone ever looked at the suspension of a car and seen how many shockingly small parts there are and all the things that could go wrong, not to mention that if you have defective tires or pick up a nail going 120 it could all spells disaster.
What if you break a balljoint?
I took my chances when I was younger too. Now I rarely top drive faster then 100, and thats on rare occasion. I get more thrill out of my car coming off the line strong to about 60 mph. Still not safe, but not as dangerous as a 150 mph run.
It sort of makes me feel in control, as surely other drivers don't know what the heck they are doing.
Threads like this worry me being a family man now. I think there are some very impressionable young guys on this board who may read this and not realize the implications or dangers involved. You could be the best driver in the world, but anything can cause you to lose control of the vehicle, possibly killing yourself or someone else. An occurence of this sort is a life altering experience for many people.
Be cool and stay safe.
Old 04-14-2005, 10:48 PM
Staging Lane

Your right, but where I'm at the average autobahn speed it 100-115mph.....not just one or two cars but 80% of the traffic (depending where your at.). I wouldn't dream of doing that kinda high speed driving back home unless it was at the track. Becareful as I've seen first hand the damage & death the highspeed accidents can cause....not pretty at all.
Old 04-14-2005, 10:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 01firechicken
Your right, but where I'm at the average autobahn speed it 100-115mph.....not just one or two cars but 80% of the traffic (depending where your at.). I wouldn't dream of doing that kinda high speed driving back home unless it was at the track. Becareful as I've seen first hand the damage & death the highspeed accidents can cause....not pretty at all.
Thats the cool thing, the autobahn is built specifically for high speeds.

Quick Reply: went on a top speed run