New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whatt should I do?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2005 | 12:07 PM
12 Second Club

Default Whatt should I do?

Ok I dont know where to post this so here I go. I am looking at a LS1 Camaro SS and I cant figure out if I want to do all engine or Forced Induction. I want it to still be fairly ecconamical. So I think the FI would be better I would also like to eventally run in the 10s. I forgot to mention I will get the 6 Speed.
Old 04-21-2005 | 12:35 PM
Launching!

I doubt anything running in the 10's is economical.
Old 04-21-2005 | 01:28 PM
11 Second Club

Consistent, reliable tens with a six speed won't be cheap. You may need to strengthen the tranny itself, a good clutch, a new rear end, suspension work, weight reduction and some kind of power adder. Now, you can go tens cam only or heads/cam but those are ***** out cars that normally go to the track on a trialor. For a daily driver/street car to run tens you will need to spend some money.

Personally I have the same basic goal of 10's from a true street car, not a car that I can also drive ont he street. My plan is a TH400, forged internals with heads/cam and nitrous.
Old 04-21-2005 | 01:58 PM
12 Second Club

I mean fairly econamical. No 10 or less mpg. I was actually thinking a built engine with forged internals, FI H/C, STS turbo system, Suspesnion, and make the tranny strong. I have no problem with spending money since I should be bringing home a decent pay check. And I dont have a women to spend it on. And this project will be over a few years not right away.
Old 04-21-2005 | 02:07 PM
11 Second Club

You want to do it piece by piece sort of? If you are going to go with FI you need to decide what it will be before you start adding other things. There is a not insignificant difference between getting a blower and a turbo. You may want to read/search through the FI section to make a "final" decision on the FI and then see what you will need to accompany it. A good, properly done FI setup could easily cost in the neighborhood of $7,000. Then on top of that you will need suspension, roll bar/cage, rear end, and transmission upgrades.
Old 04-21-2005 | 02:09 PM
That's what she said...

Originally Posted by FutureFbodowner
....And I dont have a women to spend it on.
well in that case, i'd say go forged 427" C5-R motor w/ twin turbos, and do it in a z06

it takes a helluva lot of work to get a car to run that fast, you cant just slap one together and hope that it runs its ***** off all the time. unless you have dont this kind of stuff before, i seriously doubt you know what it takes. there are guys making all kinds of money who have speed shops build their entire car and it goes fast and is reliable, but they are NEVER cheap.

i have problems enough keeping my car running right, and it probably does high 12's

theres a thing called "the price, speed, and reliable triangle", works like this....

if its cheap and reliable, its not fast.
if its cheap and fast, its not reliable.
if its fast and reliable, its not cheap.
Old 04-21-2005 | 02:16 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1

I'm fighting with that triagnle in my tranny decision right now.
Old 04-21-2005 | 02:35 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
well in that case, i'd say go forged 427" C5-R motor w/ twin turbos, and do it in a z06

it takes a helluva lot of work to get a car to run that fast, you cant just slap one together and hope that it runs its ***** off all the time. unless you have dont this kind of stuff before, i seriously doubt you know what it takes. there are guys making all kinds of money who have speed shops build their entire car and it goes fast and is reliable, but they are NEVER cheap.

i have problems enough keeping my car running right, and it probably does high 12's

theres a thing called "the price, speed, and reliable triangle", works like this....

Well I wont make enough for the C5-R Twin Turbo. And I am a computer nerd by profession and a gear head as soon as I get home. I would do some of the stuff except tearing the engine apart and adding a cam I dont have those kind of tools or knowalge (I cant spell either).

Thanks for all the help guys. I have one more question. Is there a good suspension setup for drag and road racing? If so what setup would it be? I'm sorry about all these questions Im new to the tuning part of cars and I dont know some of the stuff like this.