New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why is my stock alarm doing this? Help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2005, 08:48 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Why is my stock alarm doing this? Help!

Heres the problem. I lock my car with the remote it honks twice and about 5 seconds later it starts honking and flashing its lights until I hit lock again on the remote. I've looked in the manual and found nothing helpful and I even disconnected the battery, but it still does this. Its really annoying. Help please.
Old 04-21-2005, 08:57 PM
RIP April 14, 2008

Location: the land where cars repeatedly hit my bumper when I'm in the store...

I have a problem similar to this. when I use my keyfob to activate my alarm, it stays armed for a while, then randomly goes off. Sometimes it takes five seconds, sometimes five hours. People have told me its the sensitivity, but its not. I think it may have gotten wet a bit too much one time or something, because I cant even use the thing anymore. I end up just locking my doors when I get out of the car. sorry if this is no help, but your problem sounds kind of similar. I am going to just get a new alarm. good luck man.

Brad
Old 04-21-2005, 09:16 PM
TECH Resident

Diolar.. this is the 2nd time it has done this.. the first time it lasted for a couple of weeks and then out of no where it was back to normal. Now out of the blue it is acting up again and hasn't gone back to normal. I'm going crazy.
Old 04-21-2005, 09:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LS1MONSTER
Heres the problem. I lock my car with the remote it honks twice and about 5 seconds later it starts honking and flashing its lights until I hit lock again on the remote. I've looked in the manual and found nothing helpful and I even disconnected the battery, but it still does this. Its really annoying. Help please.
my car is the same... it has to do with a 2nd alarm system on the car... you should find a another small red led under the dash or some place on the car.

this is normal and i dont think you can turn the 2nd alarm off. also dont know how to remove it

if you want more info i have the booklet that came with my car for the extra alarm. it's gm installed... i have only seen one other car with it and it was also a 98?? maybe this is something only "a number of 98's had"
Old 04-21-2005, 09:21 PM
RIP April 14, 2008

Originally Posted by LS1MONSTER
Diolar.. this is the 2nd time it has done this.. the first time it lasted for a couple of weeks and then out of no where it was back to normal. Now out of the blue it is acting up again and hasn't gone back to normal. I'm going crazy.
same thing here man! I cant pinpoint any kind of pattern to when its working vs. not working, thats why I am just gonna get a new one. With a WARRANTY. hehe Hopefully I wont have to shell out too much dough...

Brad
Old 04-21-2005, 09:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

well if it's soemthing that just started up then it might not be a 2nd alarm

door switchs? hatch sensor?
Old 04-21-2005, 09:24 PM
RIP April 14, 2008

Originally Posted by dissonance
my car is the same... it has to do with a 2nd alarm system on the car... you should find a another small red led under the dash or some place on the car.

this is normal and i dont think you can turn the 2nd alarm off. also dont know how to remove it

if you want more info i have the booklet that came with my car for the extra alarm. it's gm installed... i have only seen one other car with it and it was also a 98?? maybe this is something only "a number of 98's had"

whoa whoa hey can you explain this to me again? Some of our cars had 2 alarms??? If you could explain that could go a great way to figuring out my rpblem. sorry if my post is unintelligable I am pretty drunk.

Brad
Old 04-21-2005, 09:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Mine is called an "auto mate model 415"

I have a 2nd led under my dash that runs to another alarm system. It co-exists with the stock alarm

I arm my stock alarm and then 5 to 10 sec later to car starts flashing its lights and honking the horn. I press the door lock again on the key fob and it arms the 2nd alarm. While all this is going on the 2nd led flashes fast until it's armed.

Then it blink like the normal stock alarm...
Old 04-21-2005, 09:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

its probably your body control module or shock sensor that needs to be replaced.

most likely both.
Old 04-21-2005, 09:35 PM
RIP April 14, 2008

Originally Posted by dissonance
Mine is called an "auto mate model 415"

I have a 2nd led under my dash that runs to another alarm system. It co-exists with the stock alarm

I arm my stock alarm and then 5 to 10 sec later to car starts flashing its lights and honking the horn. I press the door lock again on the key fob and it arms the 2nd alarm. While all this is going on the 2nd led flashes fast until it's armed.

Then it blink like the normal stock alarm...

whoa cool I wish I had that but I definetely dont. damn!

B
Old 04-21-2005, 11:02 PM
On The Tree

i would say maybe a problem with one of the sensors....i have an aftermarket viper alarm with proximety on it and it works great....i have to adjust the field though because as of now you cant even sneeze within 3 feet of the car without it going off
Old 04-22-2005, 12:27 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what in the funkinwaggles does FOB stand for/mean?!?!?!?! i've always wondered about this, its probably somthing VERY simple and i'll have to punch myself in the face lol i know what the "key fob" is, theres one on my key ring, but i'm at a loss to its meaning
Old 04-22-2005, 04:17 AM
TECH Resident

Well.. I guess I will have to live with the crazy alarm for the time being. I wish there was a way to test the system or something. I'll have to check out my manual again. I recall reading about sycronizing the tranismeter or some crap. Anyone else out there with this problem please chime in.
Old 04-22-2005, 08:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default Honk Honk WHO's THERE?

You didn't leave your window cracked and let it rain on you did you? I left the passenger window cracked one nite and it got just a little wet. The next day I was walking away from the car after I set the alarm and it would give two more horn blasts than usually not the two that let you know it is set but two loud ones. The next day after the sun came up and the interior got hot it went off at will. I finally cracked the window and it dried out. Problem solved.
Old 04-22-2005, 10:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1

what in the funkinwaggles does FOB stand for/mean?!?!?!?! i've always wondered about this, its probably somthing VERY simple and i'll have to punch myself in the face lol i know what the "key fob" is, theres one on my key ring, but i'm at a loss to its meaning
I don’t know what FOB stand for but it can also be used as a term for something else on your key chain. Like a Chevy or Camaro logo. In other words a decorative item for your key chain

aka as a clicker! Well at lest to my mother in-law

LS1MONSTER,

If your system is really messed up it could turn your fuel pump off while driving! I know because it happened to me. I had a bad seal on the passenger side and washed the car and started down the road and the security light came on and “click” no fuel pump. This is part of the anti-theft system. If there is a problem with the system the security light will come on.
Old 04-22-2005, 11:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When the stock alarm starts going off just after arming it's usually a bad shock sensor - to test just unplug it...if it stops going off by itself that's the problem.
Old 04-22-2005, 12:00 PM
Staging Lane

its the shock sensor I have had two f-bodys do this to me. I also got the alarm programed to be alittle less sensitive.
Old 04-22-2005, 12:04 PM
ACW
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1

It comes from an old usage for referring to pocketwatch type stuff http://www.answers.com/fob&r=67

Last edited by ACW; 04-25-2005 at 09:57 PM.
Old 04-22-2005, 09:59 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks for heads up guys.. I'll have to check out the shock sensor then. I have noticed the first time it happened it was after some heavy rain and this 2nd time I'm not sure but maybe it was caused by some moisture either from me washing it or some rain we had awhile back.
Old 04-22-2005, 10:17 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LILBLKBIRD
its the shock sensor I have had two f-bodys do this to me. I also got the alarm programed to be alittle less sensitive.
check for a for a faulty shock sensor, or that you have a good conection on the shock sensor, its located on the top of the wheel well in the spare tire area. mine did the exact same thing yours is doing, & this was the problem.

Quick Reply: Why is my stock alarm doing this? Help!