Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Be nice to newbs!

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2005, 10:42 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by FairwayGreenVette
I migrated to this site because of the immature attitude on the other LSx based sites. Lets keep this site professional and helpful, that's what makes us better then the rest.
Rock on! I have owned my LS1 for 3 1/2 months now, and have found a wealth of info here. This is the ONLY LS1 site I belong to. I know that newbs sometime don't search, but I find when I search I sometimes find the solution for my problem, other times I find a vague kinda-leaving-me-in-the-dark solution. I, personally, sometimes don't ask questions because I feel like someone will post a link to a "similiar" question I just asked that was a thread like a year ago or something. But honestly, what happens when every question has been asked? Does the site become a online library then instead an interactive board with supporting members?

But anyway, thanks to the people who help with the answers. Later....
Old 06-02-2005, 10:59 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 205 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by blkZ28spt
Not but two hours ago I read another "I have a basically stock car, is a cam/what cam is for me?" thread. I get kind of tired of those. I do make it a point to offer helpfull information besides the standard "Use the search button" reply as well.
Two points: If a thread doesn't interest you, don't read it. Simple enough. Secondly, there is nothing wrong with recommending a search - sometimes it's the right thing to do because you know a certain subject has been well-covered in the past. There's just no need to be obnoxious about it. There really is no reason at all to be rude to newbs or anyone else for that matter. And, as far as I'm concerned, there is no reason to over-indulge in the use of profanity ... that gets obnoxious as well.
Old 06-02-2005, 11:19 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bboyferal
The knowledge gained in reading an old discussion pales compared to the knowledge gained in discussing things. My $0.02.
i dissagree with that 100%. your selling yourself short if you believe that.

i think in the "answers on demand and instant gratification" of the internet alot of people have forgotten the lost art of research and reading.

all the time i've put into the FAQ's and Guides are my answers to Newbs. all can do is lead the horse to water, i cant make them drink...
Old 06-02-2005, 11:22 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Originally Posted by RPM WS6

BUT, if someone posts bad/incorrect info then IMO it’s the responsibility of others who catch the error (and know for a fact that it’s an error) to post the correct info. Not to bash or degrade the original poster for the mistake (we all make mistakes), but to maintain the integrity of the site’s information. If incorrect tech information is left unchallenged it can lead to people ending up with even bigger problems than what they originally asked for help with, plus they may pass that same bad info along to others compounding the issue further. Not to mention, whenever that thread might come up during other members’ searches, then even more people might follow the same bad/wrong info.

Many new people that come to this site are learning about cars/LS1s for the first time, and they take what they read here as gold. Nothing is worse than trying to troubleshoot/mod/research an issue for the first time and getting led in the wrong direction. Granted, some questions can only be answered with an opinion in which case no one is really right or wrong, but if it’s a matter of facts and someone gives bad info, there is nothing wrong with posting the correct info in response. I don’t think anyone here would post bad info on purpose, but we all make mistakes/typos/oversights from time to time... a simple correction will do just fine, no need to bash anyone for a mistake.
like a muthafucka

i applaude people who point out my incorrect info; one it shows that there paying attention and researching what is stated to them. and two it educates me so misinformation will cease to be passed around.

what really scares me is when i see people spreading around blatently wrong info, some **** that makes me go :wtf:

Last edited by jrp; 06-02-2005 at 11:34 PM.
Old 06-02-2005, 11:32 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,624 Likes on 1,169 Posts

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by jrp
like a muthafucka

i applaude people who point out my incorrect; one it shows that there paying attention and researching what is stated to them. and two it educates me so misinformation will cease to be passed around.

what really scares me is when i see people spreading around blatently wrong info, some **** that makes me go :wtf:
Exactly!

Old 06-02-2005, 11:44 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,624 Likes on 1,169 Posts

Originally Posted by jrp

i think in the "answers on demand and instant gratification" of the internet alot of people have forgotten the lost art of research and reading.
This is 100% true.

I've personally owned 3 LS1s over the last 6 years, plus helped to work on/mod many others, and still I come across plenty of issues that I haven't seen before or don't know how to handle. What's the first thing I do when that happens?... Search. Granted, I can't always find what I'm looking for, in which case I post a new thread, but searching/research truly is the best way to get started. Even if you can't find exactly what you're looking for, it will likely give you a better idea of how to present your question/issue and what information to include based on previous similar discussions.
Old 06-03-2005, 12:14 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

This is 100% true.

I've personally owned 3 LS1s over the last 6 years, plus helped to work on/mod many others, and still I come across plenty of issues that I haven't seen before or don't know how to handle. What's the first thing I do when that happens?... Search. Granted, I can't always find what I'm looking for, in which case I post a new thread, but searching/research truly is the best way to get started. Even if you can't find exactly what you're looking for, it will likely give you a better idea of how to present your question/issue and what information to include based on previous similar discussions.
same here. and even when you cant find your exact answer you always run across interesting **** you werent even looking for. information read and gathered on your own is easier retained and recalled then answers that are just given to you.
Old 06-03-2005, 12:15 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think that sometimes when people say use the search button, they truthfully aren't being a jackass, they literaly mean us the search button because you could get 25 pages of input, instead of 15 to 20 replies. Sometimes the comment is taken out of context. But yes, sometimes the post is made in frustration to the newbe. Moreso not.
Old 06-03-2005, 12:19 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by jrp
i dissagree with that 100%. your selling yourself short if you believe that.

all the time i've put into the FAQ's and Guides are my answers to Newbs. all can do is lead the horse to water, i cant make them drink...
Dude, the significance of research is undeniably invaluable. What I mean is that with some complicated topics, you want past research and current discussion. It was just an expression, not a semantically face-value statement.

Damn, I don't know what I'd have done sometimes in the FI section after some researching and search button use if it wasn't for the friendly people there willing to discuss ANYTHING, esp. Super Daves and Jose (Thanks Guys! You're the best! ).

That's what makes this site my addiction other than my car! The friendly people IN ADDITION to the wealth of reference/archived information. I hope nothing changes with this site, ever! And yes, I drink
Old 06-03-2005, 12:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this was already posted like 2 weeks ago. if you woulda used the search button you woulda seen it already

HAHAHAHA! jk! i use the search button before every "asking" post i make.

i've asked many times for an entire car diagram but i really don't think they make one! i've asked, searched, and loaded ALLDATADIY.com and nothing helps me with this wiring mess
Old 06-03-2005, 03:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

i think my point may have been taken wrongly.... I completely agree with correcting incorrect statements and wrong info. This is absolutely crucial as RPM WS6 stated. Also I think the search feature is very helpful as well, and we should encourage and instruct newer members to harness it as well as the incredible mod guides and faq's made by mand of the administrators. BUT there is definetly a right and wrong way to do that. I consider myself to have graduated from newb status, but i still find myself hanging around this area of the site, because I enjoy the enthusiasm that the newer members often bring to this forum.

I appreciate the amount of replies and I thinks its good to see that there are a ton of more seasoned members that respect the newer guys. Thats what this thread is really all about: showing respect to the newer guys, even if they ask one of the "everyday" questions, or dont search. Respect doesn't mean letting bad info pass uncorrected, or not informing people of the tons of archived data (my thanks to whoever makes storing all that data possible, and to whoever maintains the servers). We should just show respect. Lets be responsible and take our anger out in mustang forums and such... lol. j/k on the very last part...

Nathan
Old 06-03-2005, 07:50 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default I understand what you are going for Natronathon.

Granted, I can't always find what I'm looking for, in which case I post a new thread, but searching/research truly is the best way to get started. Even if you can't find exactly what you're looking for, it will likely give you a better idea of how to present your question/issue and what information to include based on previous similar discussions.
Exactly. And if you search a little you won't ask which lid makes more power, what cam to get when all you have is a catback, or what a torque converter does and how it works.

Originally Posted by RevGTO
Two points: If a thread doesn't interest you, don't read it. Simple enough. Secondly, there is nothing wrong with recommending a search - sometimes it's the right thing to do because you know a certain subject has been well-covered in the past. There's just no need to be obnoxious about it. There really is no reason at all to be rude to newbs or anyone else for that matter. And, as far as I'm concerned, there is no reason to over-indulge in the use of profanity ... that gets obnoxious as well.
With the way people title things you don't know till you read it whether or not it interests you.

Personally I try not to be too obnoxious (maybe once in awhile, lol) and I personally never use profanity especially in newb search button cases. I have used #%^#% or bleeping a couple of times, but I feel it was especially called for.

Originally Posted by 89KARR
But honestly, what happens when every question has been asked?
Never gonna happen.

If anybody thinks I am being harsh/rude etc with a post don't take it personally, I just come off that way whether or not I want to sometimes. And remember that everything I am posting WILL help you.
Old 06-03-2005, 08:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Personally I try not to be too obnoxious (maybe once in awhile, lol) and I personally never use profanity especially in newb search button cases. I have used #%^#% or bleeping a couple of times, but I feel it was especially called for.
I've never used one bit of profanity in the entire time and 2700+ posts that I have made. I still get my point across so it is not necassary, ever. So I agree with you, even to a greater extent.
Old 06-03-2005, 08:39 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 205 Likes on 172 Posts

With the way people title things you don't know till you read it whether or not it interests you.
You based your statement on the fact that you just got finished reading another "what cam is for me?" thread. Hence my point.
Old 06-03-2005, 03:50 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by RevGTO
You based your statement on the fact that you just got finished reading another "what cam is for me?" thread. Hence my point.
Yes, and you would have a point with that if it wasn't for the fact that the person in question didn't really have anything but a cat-back. I don't mind which cam threads at all...unless they only have a cat-back on an A4.
Old 06-03-2005, 03:58 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by natronathon
Ive been noticiing a lot of the more seasoned members here being complete dicks to some of our newer members. WTF??? We have all been newbies once and there is no need to treat these guys like ********, or call them on the mistakes they make when they put up a post or thread. This site is a community that serves all our needs, and has been a great asset to me when i ran into problems.

Also, people who feel they need to tell someone to use the search function should realize that people with only 7 or so posts dont always know there is a search function.

I know we all tell each other off all the time, but regardless of what someone says to me, im not gonna leave, cause i know the value of this site and im not intimidated by everyones' knowledge like i used to be, but the same dosent go for some of the newer guys.

Gentlemen, there's no reason to be an ******* to a newb, especially if they are asking a genuine question, even if it is a dyno estimate, or lid question. Im pretty sure we've all asked at least one of those questions before.

So, be nice to the newbs, and help this site grow even larger.

Nathan

well F@$%^@# said!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-04-2005, 12:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

now that most of us agree that newbs, even largely uninformed ones, should be respected, lets actually do it. There are plenty of us that agree on this matter, including some very important and influential members, s let keep disrespect of the new guys under control. I cant really tell ya why i find this so important, other than the fact that i saw a thread a few days back where a newb asked a dyno question and a few of the older members roasted his *** for it. They were right in informing him of the seearch function, but they were asses about doing it. Im pretty sure we lost that member, and there is no reason for that to happen. I think respect for the newer members isnt too much to ask for...

Nathan
Old 06-04-2005, 12:53 PM
11 Second Club

I have seen a lot of threads where older members have just went off on people and tried to make them look like idiots. I posted about it a long time ago but It doesnt seem to do any good. They always think they are justified. This was the first forum I had ever been a part of. I think some people dont get that part. Not only did I not know anything about the ls1 or a car, I didnt know how to use a forum. I was eager to learn about my new toy not about learning how to use a forum. After a short time I learned how to use the forum and the search button ect.. But definetly not after getting my *** busted by some respected members on here. It definetly wasnt a nice use the search button. However because these guys have been here a long time most people are afraid to say anything.

If I see a stupid or over-asked question I give him something to go and and tell him he may find info in a search.

Example

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ht=search+newb

Nine Ball come through as a good mod tho.. this is the stuff im talking about that makes me sick.. I know it was a stupid question but you get my point..

Last edited by Tiger2o69; 06-04-2005 at 01:04 PM.
Old 06-05-2005, 01:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Tiger2o69
If I see a stupid or over-asked question I give him something to go and and tell him he may find info in a search.
amen.
Old 06-05-2005, 10:56 AM
TECH Junkie

This is a great thread...way to go natronathon, for starting it...I'm only sorry I discovered it late. The "Use the Search" reply has always been a "pet-peeve" of mine...if a search is warranted, then suggest it in a helpful, non-condescending manner...and, as mentioned earlier, if a thread doesn't interest you, or if the question is such a bother, just skip it and move on...no need to flame, drop the search bomb, or issue the smilie...just my .02