New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Be nice to newbs!

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2005, 04:47 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

damn, Nathan, calling everybody out now...

I'll chime in that information is usually there that people are searching for, so long as they put enough relevant terms in the search engine to narrow it down enough. For example, simply searching "exhaust" will probably net you at least 10 pages of stuff posted just in the last 24 hours, so a person has got to know what they are searching for to narrow it down enough for the results to make sense. Then there are some people that at least ask about a specific exhaust, well that is making progress, but they could probably search for GMMG or Pacesetter and find others' past opinions, although when someone mentions either pacesetter headers or magnaflow catbacks, I usually make it a point to chime in because at least I have experience with those two products. It's like the debate that constantly goes on between the Kooks/QTP crowd and the Pacesetter crowd. A lot of people ask which is the better header and this sparks a big argument. I'm loyal to Pacesetter, or at least the price that I paid for the setup. I'm in college and can't afford much else, and although my setup is showing signs of rust already, I'm happy with it for what it is...

It just always seems like there's such a fine line between relevant questions and questions that are asked 1000 times already, but sometimes the issue is understanding. Especially with tuning as I am a complete newb at that. Parts of it are very difficult to understand as to what affects what. And there are very knowledgable people in here, and sometimes they use terminology that is difficult to understand at first. There's PE and VE and all these tables that I am still trying to really grasp fully before I tune so I try to search for information about them and ask questions. The stickys about tuning do help, but sometimes a question must be asked a certain way that only they themselves know how to ask and then answered by others before someone truly comprehends the information in front of them.

Just my $.02, I do hate to see people get yelled at for stuff, although when someone asks a question that's already on the front page of that particular forum when they posted it sometimes gets annoying. I have probably helped nothing at all here, but just kind of stating my opinion.
Old 06-08-2005, 04:53 PM
TECH Addict

some people are just dicks....who think they know it all, and often those are the guys with the crap cars cause they get whats coming to em...hahah
keep on rollin!...n helpin the newbies like meeee!
Old 06-08-2005, 08:56 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Somebody que the JAWS theme song

While i agree with the general statement, that we should try to be ....eh....nice, at least not mean, to newb's....

I think some of your comments are taking away from the hard work that some seasoned members have done... JRP has put together the hands down best newbie sticky EVER... when someone comes to the newbie section there it is in big bold print.... If a person is unwilling to click on it and read... then why should they expect anything other then the search bomb?

I see a few people throwing up the GOOD FOR YOU THIS HAD TO BE SAID, reply, that got busted passing out BAD TECH info and thought that the seasoned member was being a ******** for correcting them....
more then once that ******** has been me....

i would rather have you hate me for correcting something wronge
then to have you love me for agreeing with you......

most of the time i see a newbie getting flamed, its not just because they asked a newbie question.... its because they got the search bomb, or an answer they did not agree with, or someone corrected something they said and they deside , this is the time to show there ***....

bla bla bla my friend is faster then you.... bla bla bla i know your wronge because my brothers, sisters, uncle who is the crew chief for john forces son's gokart said so...ect ect ect...

well if those people get BLOWN outa the water.... they deserve it...

If a newbie comes with the aditude "hey i'm a newbie, can you guys point me in the right direction " then thats usually what happens....
but if they come with " hey i'm a newbie, but i know more then anyone else on this board because i have owned my fbody for 2 whole weeks" then they get whats coming to them...

as a last point i just want to add.....

i agree.... If you dont like it dont read it....
but i have to add the even more true..

IF YOU DONT KNOW IT , THEN DONT POST IT LIKE YOU DO!!!

that is all...
have a nice day
Old 06-08-2005, 11:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Jaberwaki, first and foremost i want to let you know that i am not disrespecting you by my reply, i am simply disagreeing.

IT IS ANNOYING when someone post a thread that has been posted countless times before. It is also very annoying when they post a question that can be read in JRP's sticky (which i have used as an LS1 bible for quite awhile). I can assure that it does annoy me, and prolly every other member that has been here for awhile.

But there are a few points i would like to make that are the reason why I began this thread in the first place...

The first is that I created this thread in the "New LS1 Owners & Enthusiasts" subforum. This is a forum specifically in place for newbs to ask questions. I expect to see more repeat questions, and unresearched topics posted here, if for no other reason that the name of this subforum.

Also I have been to other forums where stickies are in no way comparable to what JRP and other moderators have created for us. When I joined this site I'll admit that i didnt read the stickies until told to do so, because I doubted that they would be very helpfull, and my excitement about my car didn't warrant much in the way of patience on my behalf. I wish i had read them, but I didn't. The same approach to harnessing the search function is also taken by many new members. On other site, where the volume of information discussed is drastically less, the search dosen't really do much good and often will become distracting. This is obviously not the case for LS1 tech.

I am not asking that anyone answer in great detail a cam or exhaust question everytime it is asked. You might say something like.
"I would not look in to a cam until later, I think you might try using a search because there is a lot of info on this subject that you can access that way."

or

"I prefer long tubes or flow master sucks, but you should search throughly the previous threads on this subject before you make up your mind, also JRP has provided a great walkthrough on doing exhaust and you should definetly consult that as well."

**** like "This has already been posted a million times do a search first " dosen't need to be said. Its not a good way to show respect to your fellow fbody and ybody owners, it also not decent. I am not accusing you of "going off" on newbs, I just think that with an extra sentence we can keep a new member with us, where as the easy and shitty way is more likely to motivate a newb to not come back.

Also don't stop busting back tech info. Just realize that most people who share bad tech info dont do so on purpose, so do it in more of an educating way, versus just being real harsh about it.

everyone,
You guys can think of me what you want. Ive been a newb, im not anymore, but I believe that treating someone with respect SHOULDN'T be optional. Im only 19, but i've lived through enough hell in my few years to last an entire lifetime. And that earns me respect. But I realize that people aren't gonna respect me, unless i respect them, or control their paycheck, in this case Ill have to show respect. And its something i do willingly.

Nathan
Old 06-09-2005, 06:57 AM
TECH Junkie

That's true! Very well-said!
Old 06-09-2005, 08:11 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by natronathon
Jaberwaki, first and foremost i want to let you know that i am not disrespecting you by my reply, i am simply disagreeing.
Nathan

hhhhmmmm..... i have no responce to that.....

good post.... you've come a LONG @#$%ing way man....

Old 06-10-2005, 04:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jaberwaki
hhhhmmmm..... i have no responce to that.....

good post.... you've come a LONG @#$%ing way man....

what do you mean?
Old 06-10-2005, 07:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Black Z/28
So if you don't like someone's post then just move on- there are plenty of other people who don't mind taking the time to answer the 'dumb' newbie questions.
You shouldn't have used that hyphen after "on".

j/k man, that was a good post. i sure dont mind answering ANY question. everyone just needs a little patience!!
Old 06-10-2005, 08:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

this is gettin to be a big thread lol
Old 06-10-2005, 09:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WS6FirebirdTA00
this is gettin to be a big thread lol

nathon is very known for that.
Old 06-10-2005, 03:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by luvmeZ28
nathon is very known for that.
lol, thats true... I do seem to start long threads, but I do want to let it be known that in this case I am trying to make my position known, and maybe even talk some others into agreeing with me.

luvmez28, you would be proud of me, i just installed powerslot slotted rotors on the front today, and painted my calipers red! It looks sweet, also Im only a few weeks away from making my exhaust dreams a reality. Man where have you been, I haven't seen a post from you in ages!

Nathan.... not nathon! lol!
Old 06-11-2005, 12:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

I was just looking back at my almight eagle talon thread, from long, long, ago and i ralized that thing ended up having 448 replies!!! Holy ****! I forgot it was that long, I dont think this one will get there, or needs to for that matter. It will be a hard record to break!

Nathan
Old 06-11-2005, 05:31 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by natronathon
I was just looking back at my almight eagle talon thread, from long, long, ago and i ralized that thing ended up having 448 replies!!! Holy ****! I forgot it was that long, I dont think this one will get there, or needs to for that matter. It will be a hard record to break!

Nathan
i wonder who put an end to that ...
Old 06-12-2005, 12:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

lol, if i remember right... you did! Man, I was so going for 500!