Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

01 T/A problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2005, 01:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 T/A problems

I'm getting tired of my T/A. It's really becoming a money trap. Not to bore you but here are my recent issues. 2 weeks ago, it died on the highway. I had to leave it at a mechanic shop (it was sunday night). The thermostat went. The mechanic fixed it but now there's a funny sound coming from it. Previously, if driving in Overdrive, by shifting to 3rd my would feel the huge power difference and my RPM's would seriously go up. Now, at times when I shift nothing happens but other times, it would peel off really hard in 3rd. Today, I noticed that the gas gauge is not moving. I filled up last night, drove around. Today, I drove to work, went home for lunch and now I 'm back in the office. The needle is still on F.

What is going on? I'm really considering trading it in for a Charger
Old 06-21-2005, 01:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bklynstanger
I'm getting tired of my T/A. It's really becoming a money trap. Not to bore you but here are my recent issues. 2 weeks ago, it died on the highway. I had to leave it at a mechanic shop (it was sunday night). The thermostat went. The mechanic fixed it but now there's a funny sound coming from it. Previously, if driving in Overdrive, by shifting to 3rd my would feel the huge power difference and my RPM's would seriously go up. Now, at times when I shift nothing happens but other times, it would peel off really hard in 3rd. Today, I noticed that the gas gauge is not moving. I filled up last night, drove around. Today, I drove to work, went home for lunch and now I 'm back in the office. The needle is still on F.

I can't even understand what you are saying. If the thermostat was the only problem, I don't see it dying on the highway. I'm not understanding your tranny issues. I can tell you one thing if your car can spin the tires in 3rd gear you don't need to be getting rid of it. The gas gauge sucks on these cars. I got 120 miles before mine gauge moves off of F.
Old 06-22-2005, 03:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Car's no good for you... T/A's, arguably, are high maintenance cars (non-powertrain related). Maybe it's not for you. See if you fare better with the Charger.

I've had bad window motors, rear tail-lights with bad seals, mal-aligned 'vert top, broken power seat, cracked 02 cat sensor, you name it. No problem has been on it for more than a week before I've fixed it myself or with help. When I want dependability, I just drive my wife's Accord. When I want to have fun, I drive my car.

I would never give up on my T/A. It's in good hands.
Old 06-22-2005, 03:33 PM
TECH Regular

Maybe the Charger is the car for you. I personally havent had an issue with my car yet. Well my 3/4 shift fork is bent(ill repair it myself later). But you gotta understand that you bought a muscle car. Muscle cars break and have problems from time to time. Think of all the abuse the cars go through, compared to other cars. Ill tell you what though, if you can weather the storm and put up with some problems here and there, then they are some of the funnest cars to have.
BTW why didnt you just fix the problem yourself. Not trying to flame you, but are you not that mechanically inclined. If you arent then a T/A is definately not the car for you. Almost any T/A, Camaro owner will tell you they do all the work themselves. Another part of having a muscle car.
Old 06-22-2005, 03:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't say all the work.
Old 06-22-2005, 05:17 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

how do you...."fix" a thermistat?
and why would anyone need a mechanic to ..."fix" it? why not just replace it... it takes 5 mins and basic hand tools...
Old 06-22-2005, 05:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Hey *******, I was on the highway on my way to a formal dinner. It was Sunday around 7 P.M.
geez!
Old 06-22-2005, 06:55 PM
11 Second Club

I love how people jump to the ******* comments, and dont answer the simple question....

well this ******* was going to sudjest you probably got ripped off, this ******* was going to sudjest how you might get some $$$ back, this ******* was going to point out that your TM CANT kill your car unless your block superheated and ceased,and then replacing your TM would not FIX ****, this ******* was going to sudjest a few things to check that might have kept this from becomming a problem later...

but hey..... i'm an *******..... so i wont....

have a nice day with your pile..... another vote for buying a charger....
Old 06-22-2005, 07:43 PM
TECH Addict

Hey *******, I was on the highway on my way to a formal dinner. It was Sunday around 7 P.M.
geez!

Now ya did it...

FYI - jaberwaki is one of the resident jack of all trades and is also helpful.

Oh well.

BTW I think he gave some good advise even if it was what he was "was going to sudjest".
Old 06-23-2005, 12:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

Screw this! When it comes down to pride or getting my car fixed, I go with getting my car fixed. I'll eat a slice of humble pie. I'm sorry about calling you an ******* but come on, you did come across pretty cocky.

Anyway, what are your suggestions? Also, the gas gauge stopped working. How do I get this fixed? Is it a simple fix or pretty complicated?
Old 06-23-2005, 05:42 PM
11 Second Club

Screw this! When it comes down to pride or getting my car fixed, I go with getting my car fixed. I'll eat a slice of humble pie.
Pride? who said anything about pride? i am talking about taking it up the tailpipe by some greasemonkey who is screwing you for your money because he knows you dont have clue 1 about cars....

and if he told you ......

1. your car died because of a faulty thermistat....
2. told you he FIXED a faulty thermistat(its either broke or it aint... you replace them)
3. charged you more then 75 bucks total to replace it (40-45 for the part, 30 for half an hour labor)

then thats exactly what happened....

I'm sorry about calling you an *******
you aint the first, you wont be the last.... water under the bridge....

but come on, you did come across pretty cocky.
haha... ever heard kid rocks song COCKY?

the honest truth is i have no clue what so ever how i came across to you... you see the internet sucks when it comes to sarcasm.... i type things exactly the way i would say them to your face.... how you interpet it is on you.... i cant help that...

you see an ******* would have said ....

you cant fix a thermistat you fukin moron, you got hosed because you are an idiot, how bout at least cracking open you owners manual before you let some shadetree greasemonkey give it to you with no lube you *****....

but as you can see i did not say it anything like that... i merely asked a question, and sudjested the proper way to fix a problem with a bad thermistat... you filled in the rest yourself, in your own mind...

i say things direct, i give answers direct... if i can help you i will... and an ******* would never help you after you called him one

Anyway, what are your suggestions? Also, the gas gauge stopped working. How do I get this fixed? Is it a simple fix or pretty complicated?
there are a few things that CAN cause the sympoms you gave but i need some more info...

ok off the bat it sound like a problem in your electrical system, caused youre
car to "die" i would lean toward a frayed or exposed wire either near your battery, starter, or alternater, because what i think happened is that wire got wet(was it raining?) or it touched the frame killing power and causeing your car to "die" , and when things like this happen it not uncommon to blow a fuse or 2, which might explain your gas guadge not working...

i would also guess that the mechanic you took it to may have found that wire after taking too long to locate the trouble, fixed it with some electrical tape and charged you for a thermistat so he could make up the cost in time it took for him to find what was wronge...

this is just a guess based on vauge info given...

now for your part...

all anyone can do is guess without more info...
try to explain in as great a detail as you can

1. how the car acted as it was dieing, did the guages go nuts? did the car die fast or sputter out... did it lose horse power more then 30 seconds before it died, was it kicking and bucking... did the lights go out too?

2. what was the day like? hot? raining? night time? day time? were you at highway speed or stopped at a light...?

3. after it died did you try to restart it? if so what did the car do? motor turned but no start... motor started but would not stay running... no turning at all just a clicking noise... no noise no turning no nothing at all no power...

thats all i can think to ask now .....
after we figure out what was REALLY wronge, i will tell you how to get some of your cash back

see, i'm not so bad am i?
Old 06-23-2005, 09:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

A suggestion about the tranny...an A4 LS1 with 3.23's will kick down into second at anything under about 65. At anything above that it will kick down into third and it wont spike the revs that high and it will accelerate a lot slower then a second gear kick down. Even if you stick the shifter in "3" and floor it if the car is going slow enough to recover second it will give you second at WOT. So...from a highway roll the car can pull real hard or not pull hard at all depending on how fast you're going.
Old 06-24-2005, 01:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Okay, here's an update. The car is with the dealer. The "Sending Unit" needed to be replaced. It apparently is the unit which sends the gas throughout, even giving notice to the gauges. Anyway, it's going to cost $820.00. Thank god I have a warranty. My deductable is $50.00. Also, the dealership is giving me a loaner car, I should have the T/A back on Monday. They did suggest that I get a Transmission Flush as well as a Fuel Injection flush. I'm now contacting the warranty place about a possible refund for the Thermostat and Radiator flush kit. So, all worked out.
Old 06-24-2005, 02:25 PM
11 Second Club

why the tranny and injection flush?
Old 06-24-2005, 02:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

BTW why didnt you just fix the problem yourself. Not trying to flame you, but are you not that mechanically inclined. If you arent then a T/A is definately not the car for you. Almost any T/A, Camaro owner will tell you they do all the work themselves. Another part of having a muscle car.
hey man, were all trying to learn here. Some people arent as mechanically inclined as others; me being one of them. I'm learning new things everyday. We all gotta start somewhere.

As for Jaberwaki, ive noticed that he always gives good advice, and help where applicable. Might want to work on his spelling though.
Old 06-24-2005, 03:59 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by diamond01ss
As for Jaberwaki, ive noticed that he always gives good advice, and help where applicable. Might want to work on his spelling though.

hey man when your brain is as small as mine you only have room for so much stuff...
i chose to fill it with car ****.... i had to leave out spelling and good manners
Old 06-24-2005, 04:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

$820!!! Sounds like all labor on figuring out what the problem is. Can't be that much for a replacement and labor.
Old 06-24-2005, 10:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

hey man when your brain is as small as mine you only have room for so much stuff...
hey man, i guess its best to know what you like. id want to do the same thing.
Old 06-24-2005, 10:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by diamond01ss
hey man, i guess its best to know what you like. id want to do the same thing.
Thats why I'm constantly online at work. Mainly on ls1tech. Just learning as much as possible and when helpful, I'll put in a word or two.
Old 06-25-2005, 08:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 2000BlkCamaroSS
$820!!! Sounds like all labor on figuring out what the problem is. Can't be that much for a replacement and labor.
Dude, what don't you understand? The car is under warranty. I don't care if it's $820 or $8,200. My only out pocket cost is $50. This is the most repetable dealership in the area. As long as my problems are solved, I don't give a rats *** what's charged.

Now to answer someone else's charge. So work I do myself and other work I'll have the dealership do. I don't have the time nor interest in taking my car apart and trying to access the issues. That's why I have a warranty. Hey, sometimes it's expensive but whatcha gonna do?