Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally... I got one, but I have a few ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2005, 12:59 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Finally... I got one, but I have a few ?'s

It feels good having purchased the car I have wanted since I first got my permit. Now since I know only what I have found sifting through this forum and the LS1.com forum, I hope someone in this community can steer me in the right direction. I have a few questions which are about all different aspects of the car, so forgive me if this seems like it should be broken up and put into the different sections of the forum.

A. Exhaust

I have recently been in the market for a cat back system. I have mainly set my sights on Borla, GMMG, and SLP Loudmouth II. I have spent anywhere from 5 to 6 hours listening to the sounds on LS1sounds.com trying to make my decision. Since I do not plan on putting headers on immediately, I was wondering which of those three will give the most bang for the buck. I have found alot about the first two exhaust setups but the info on the Loudmouth II seems to be few and far between. I was wondering what the opinions are on this LM2 system based on sound and performance, more so the sound though. I have listened to the LM2 clip on LS1sounds but the recorder has a sound attenuation feature which doesnt give the true sound of the system. Any info here would be very helpful.

B. Exhaust Tips

I have found these pretty sweet looking tips at Lawson Industries, however its inlet is 2.25 inches and the LM system from what I have read, has a 2.5 inch diameter. Is it possible to fit this tip on if its made of stainless steel?

C. Basic Upkeep

Is there anything I should be aware of maintenance wise, that could save me hundreds (maybe thousands) down the line?

D. Any other mods?

Are there any other mods which you would recommend down the line to make it a little faster and have a deeper more American Muscle tone?

E. Paint

Is there anyway to get rid of a minor scratch on the paint that looks like the factory paint, short of getting a new paint job?

Sorry if this is a little excessive, any help would be greatly appreciated, especially on the exhaust matters.
Old 07-02-2005, 01:15 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats.

A) Loudmouth II is pretty similer to what we call the dynomouth. Bullet muffler in place of the resonator. Personally I don't like borla very much. It's just too expensive and can't hold a candle to the GMMG. (just my opinion though....) If you are going to get an expensive cat-back make it the GMMG.

B) Loudmouth, like most cat-backs, is a 3" system.

C) Just a nice twelve bolt rear end so you can stick without breaking the stocker. (~$2,500)

D) Yup, you definately want the GMMG, out of the cat-backs listed. Then longtube headers. Other than that be sure to do a search for first mods.

E) Search the apperance and detailing section.
Old 07-02-2005, 09:14 AM
TECH Regular

Get a Magnaflow or Loudmouth for a starter, Sounds great and priced very reasonable.
Old 07-02-2005, 01:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Have you looked into the TSP Rumbler? I love mine, sounds excellent and it was less expensive than the loudmouth.
Old 07-04-2005, 06:58 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by blkZ28spt
Congrats.

A) Loudmouth II is pretty similer to what we call the dynomouth. Bullet muffler in place of the resonator. Personally I don't like borla very much. It's just too expensive and can't hold a candle to the GMMG. (just my opinion though....) If you are going to get an expensive cat-back make it the GMMG.

B) Loudmouth, like most cat-backs, is a 3" system.

C) Just a nice twelve bolt rear end so you can stick without breaking the stocker. (~$2,500)

D) Yup, you definately want the GMMG, out of the cat-backs listed. Then longtube headers. Other than that be sure to do a search for first mods.

E) Search the apperance and detailing section.
What exactly does a 12 bolt do? (i am a noob.)
Also, I have the WS6 Ram Air package, and a friend told me to get the slp air lid. I looked at him and thought he was an idiot... but is it true that you can and should put the slp air lid on a WS6???
Old 07-04-2005, 07:01 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2K WS6
What exactly does a 12 bolt do? (i am a noob.)
Also, I have the WS6 Ram Air package, and a friend told me to get the slp air lid. I looked at him and thought he was an idiot... but is it true that you can and should put the slp air lid on a WS6???
With a WS6 get the BG ram air to make the hood more functional (not really sure what that entails) or just do a lid and standard bottom feeding cold air induction or at least free ram air mod.

12 bolt is a strong rear end that will allow aggressive launches with sticky tires and a good clutch without blowing up. Otherwise you won't be able to run **** for an ET because you won't get a good 60'.

When in doubt about what something like that does/is, SEARCH!
Old 07-04-2005, 07:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I was trying to decide between a GMMG, Borla, and Corsa...went with a Magnaflow...saved about $400 bucks, it is still stainless steel, has nice chrome tips, and sounds very aggressive under WOT. At least check it out, with the money you save you over a GMMG you can pick up a lid or CAI.

I have a black Z28 and the swirls require much patience and copious amount of wax. Enjoy your ride.
Old 07-04-2005, 07:56 PM
On The Tree

Congrats on the WS6!!!

As far as cat-back I have Corsa and love it. Not loud and obnoxious when just cruising like the loudmouth (sorry guys ) but when you step on the gas sounds nice and musclely (like old school muscle car). Was kind of expensive though (like Hoss mentioned). All depends on the sound you're looking for...go to www.ls1sounds.com and listen to some of the sound bites, it's really you're own taste. Try and listen to as many in person, it makes a huge difference.

Definitely think about a 12 bolt eventually. If you're gonna run her at the track, especially with drag radials or especially slicks you're gonna end up needing one.

Good Luck with the new car man!!

btw: Where do you live in Jersey? If you're ever in Cherry Hill on a Sunday night stop by the Cherry Hill Mall. My car club Controlled Insanity has meets there every Sunday @ 8pm. Typically we are there until 9 or 9:30 and then most of the meet cruise up Route 38. It's a good time. Stop by if you get a chance! Check us out www.controlledinsanity.net
Old 07-04-2005, 11:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Go true duals for sure.
Old 07-05-2005, 04:21 PM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Some people have said a 12 bolt but what transmission are you running, stick or auto?
Stay on top of your fluids, for general maintenance. And for exhaust, either loudmouth or GMMG. How loud do you want the exhaust to be?
Old 07-06-2005, 11:17 PM
Staging Lane

i have the a4, but am potentially going to put a shift kit in, as long as it wont damage the transmission or decrease its expected life. (im new to the shift kit idea) I want exhaust with bass but not too super loud. I heard the LM2 is excellent for this, and is 400 cheaper than the "premium" exhausts.
Old 07-06-2005, 11:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Shift kits are great and they won't add much if any additional wear to your tranny. My 3rd gen had it's original 700R4 in it when I sold it @ 133,000 miles...given the LS1 makes more power but you get what I'm saying.

I think using a shift kit v.s. increaing line pressure with a tune/hand held tuner is the way to go to firm up your shifts.

I've never had a loudmouth on my car, but from what nearly everyone says on here it becomes extremely raspy/droney once headers are added, may want to keep that in mind. I am happy with the magnaflow it sounds good under heavy throttle, but is very docile around town at low rpm, and at an 80mph cruise it is not much louder than stock with no drone.
Old 07-07-2005, 12:37 AM
Launching!

As you've probably read, exhaust depends on personal taste. Everybody has an opinion, and they are for the most part all different. I would do all the free mods. Try and hook up with some people in your area with different exhausts to get a first hand listen. I recomend the BG Ram Air Kit. I have always said though that you should first learn to drive your car to it's potential. That's what I did. No since in having it if you can't use it.
Old 07-07-2005, 08:24 AM
Chop-Foo Director

Since you've got an A4, don't worry about the 12bolt rear. You won't need it unless you do some SERIOUS mods.

First mods you should do are lid and catback. Any lid will do, and exhaust really depends on what kind of sound you like. You've done the right thing by checking out www.ls1sounds.com, so just keep listening to decide what you really want.
Old 07-07-2005, 10:58 AM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

He can still get the loudmouth and when he gets the headers and Y, change the bullet to either a dynomax or Borla. I'll be getting the borla bullet when I get my headers and ORY done.
Old 07-07-2005, 11:53 AM
On The Tree

Since you're an A4 get yourself a higher stall torque converter. It'll wake your car up more than anything.
Old 07-07-2005, 05:38 PM
11 Second Club

Okay, you have an A4. Ignore anything I said about the rear end. Get yourself a 3500-4000 stall converter, shift kit, trans cooler, trans temp gauge, subframe connectors and drag radials.
Old 07-09-2005, 04:18 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by '02 WS6
Have you looked into the TSP Rumbler? I love mine, sounds excellent and it was less expensive than the loudmouth.
just installed my tsp rumbler cat back ITS AWESOME badass with a 600 lift cam sweet magnaflow oval tips
Old 07-09-2005, 04:35 PM
11 Second Club

Have you thought about nos? A 100 shot will lower your et by a full second, and for about $500.00 you can't beat that with any other mod..
Old 07-09-2005, 04:37 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by charlie c5
Have you thought about nos? A 100 shot will lower your et by a full second, and for about $500.00 you can't beat that with any other mod..
Please call it something other than "nos". Nitrous, for example. NOS is a brand name, and we like to think that only ricers generically refer to nitrous oxide as nos.

To do it right will cost more than $500. Nitrous isn't something that you should cut corners with.