Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smokin em (embarrassing)

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2005, 08:00 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Smokin em (embarrassing)

Well, when ya get a new car, you always have to test out the old burnout. When I first got my mustang 5 years ago, same day of purchase I was out trying to do burnouts. It was fun but stalled it a few times.

So, was out cruising yesterday, and decided to try the old burnout.

Try #1 - Revved her up to like 3000ish, hit the gas, let go of the clutch and hit the brake, tires broke loose, then the revs came down and the sum bitch stalled, how freaking embarrassing.

Try #2 - Not wanting to leave this seesion without on, I do it again, same deal and then my revs come down again, almost stall, I take my foot off the brake and the revs climb fast.....*** end is spinning, going left, then back to write. That part was fun, but what the hell, I didn't have enough tourque to spin while staying still?????? Ah well, have to learn my car I guess. Something new takes time to get used to.

Thx
Old 07-03-2005, 09:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

sounds like you were standing on your brakes. Get a line lock... makes everything a no brainer
Old 07-03-2005, 09:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by soontobeLS1
Well, when ya get a new car, you always have to test out the old burnout. When I first got my mustang 5 years ago, same day of purchase I was out trying to do burnouts. It was fun but stalled it a few times.

So, was out cruising yesterday, and decided to try the old burnout.

Try #1 - Revved her up to like 3000ish, hit the gas, let go of the clutch and hit the brake, tires broke loose, then the revs came down and the sum bitch stalled, how freaking embarrassing.

Try #2 - Not wanting to leave this seesion without on, I do it again, same deal and then my revs come down again, almost stall, I take my foot off the brake and the revs climb fast.....*** end is spinning, going left, then back to write. That part was fun, but what the hell, I didn't have enough tourque to spin while staying still?????? Ah well, have to learn my car I guess. Something new takes time to get used to.

Thx
Dont press too hard on the breaks, and MASH THAT THROTTLE TO THE FLOOR. Dont be afraid to hit the limiter a time or two
Old 07-03-2005, 12:10 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by lilbuddy1587
Dont press too hard on the breaks, and MASH THAT THROTTLE TO THE FLOOR. Dont be afraid to hit the limiter a time or two

Speaking of hitting the rev limiter, I've allways heard its bad to hit the rev limiter in burnouts, esepcially if your using the ol line lock and trying to fill a parking lot with smoke... would you be better off (less worry of damage) just feathering the gass between like 5500-6k rpms?
Old 07-03-2005, 12:52 PM
Launching!

Try more initial rpms. Once you get into the burnout its a balance between brake and gas. Keep the rpms high(5k+ maybe?) and if you are sliding around give it more brake.
Old 07-03-2005, 04:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

tail happy T/A huh? sweetness
Old 07-03-2005, 05:28 PM

2nd gear, keep the rpm's below the rev limiter.
Old 07-03-2005, 09:35 PM
Launching!

I will figure the car out soon enough, and tires beware. Just need some 4:10's now!!!!!!!!!!

Hey DAVE RED SS, your set-up in your sig, I will be pretty much getting that same setup....What kinda power ya making????

Thx
Old 07-03-2005, 10:16 PM
Staging Lane

If it's a SS, try it in second gear at around 3000rpms to 3800. If you hit the rev limiter you may very well bend your push rods, these cars are famous for bent push rods!
I go around the water box at the track and barely back into it. Then I ease forward and spin in second gear for about 4 seconds. I haven't had any rearend problems this way and it seems to be less wear and tear on the car. Nearly stock, I ran a 12.72 and consistantly run in the 12's. That's with a few bolt ons and stock headers. I'm still saving for all my mods and the line lock is coming after the headers.
If your car has T-tops, you need to consider sub frame connectors and maybe lower control arms and brackets. If you put tork down, these help to keep the car from twisting or causing frame damage.
And don't forget your loop.
Old 07-03-2005, 10:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You won't bend pushrods by hitting the limiter. That is what the limiter is there for, so you don't do damage. Now if you miss a shift and do like a 3-2 shift. That is when you have some bent pushrods. The cars aren't notorious for bent pushrods. You miss a shift with any car and you have either 1) blown engine, or 2) bent pushrods.
Old 07-04-2005, 02:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I hit the 6600 rev limiter all the time and never bend rods. Rods bend when you misshift and rev the motor past the rev limiter.
Old 07-04-2005, 03:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ms Kitty
If it's a SS, try it in second gear at around 3000rpms to 3800
A Z28 isn't going to be any weaker than an SS

But I agree, slap on some sub frame connectors ASAP. I swear that they should have been included on these cars out of the factory, standard on all models
Old 07-04-2005, 11:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Keep in mind our cars are equipped with an electronic brake proportioning valve, which starts things off at a 50/50 balance until it becomes necessary to alter that bias. That's one of the reasons why our cars stop so quickly. Anyway, you can't get on the brakes too hard, or you'll never keep a good burnout going. Once you get good, you can start a burnout without ever going over 2000 RPM, then gently roll the RPM up to where you want it.
Old 07-04-2005, 03:15 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Brains
Keep in mind our cars are equipped with an electronic brake proportioning valve, which starts things off at a 50/50 balance until it becomes necessary to alter that bias. That's one of the reasons why our cars stop so quickly. Anyway, you can't get on the brakes too hard, or you'll never keep a good burnout going. Once you get good, you can start a burnout without ever going over 2000 RPM, then gently roll the RPM up to where you want it.
werd , just slip the clutch and give it gas the second the tires squeal. I actually have a sick vid of me doing a burnout and staying under 4 thousand RPM's anyone know where I can host ? We should sticky this lol
Old 07-04-2005, 03:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tcarswell
werd , just slip the clutch and give it gas the second the tires squeal. I actually have a sick vid of me doing a burnout and staying under 4 thousand RPM's anyone know where I can host ? We should sticky this lol
Dude, Video.LS1Tech.com!
Old 07-04-2005, 03:33 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by '02 WS6
Dude, Video.LS1Tech.com!
Going there now ! Ill post a link for you guys
Old 07-04-2005, 06:14 PM
TECH Regular

You don't have traction control do you?
Old 07-05-2005, 09:14 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

line lock....
your brakes will thank you
your drivetrain will thank you
and you will thank you everytime you do a burnout....they dont cost much...
Old 07-06-2005, 02:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Did you leave your Traction Control on? My friend has a '04 Mustang GT 5speed, and she had me do some burnouts in it, but I didn't know she had TC and had it turned on, so when I went to do the first burnout, I brought up the revs and the tires spun for a second then everything bogged. I was like WTF? That was WEEEEAAAK! Then I looked down and saw the TC, turned it off, and roasted us some nice rubber!
Old 07-07-2005, 04:53 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if TC was on he would not have started the burnout...