Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bought a "mild" comp cam

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2005, 12:49 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question bought a "mild" comp cam

i found a good deal on a comp cam and impulsively bought it, brand new $245 shipped. specs are 221/224 .558/.581 - 112 lsa. I don't know a lot about cams, and tried to research them over the past couple of months. I am beginning to worry that I will not be happy with this cam even though I saved money on the purchase. i originally planned to buy a TR224. I don't want to pay for installation, and a tune only to find that months later that i am not happy and end up buying another cam...does anyone have a cam with similar specs? my car will not see much track action - more for street/cruising. i am getting ready to install LTs and a cutout; plan to stick with stock manifolds, and have plans to go n2o....advice/info is appreciated!

btw - i know a tune will cost $400-500, but what's an average rate for installation of the cam itself?
Old 07-07-2005, 01:03 PM
Launching!

That Cam Seems To Be In The Same Range As The Tr224. Might Be A Little Less, But For Street Use, Ive Been Hearding Smaller Cams Like Tr224 Give More Low End Torque Than The Others Set Up For Track. Making The Car More Fun On The Street. Not Sure If This Is 100% Correct, Just What I Read. Maybe For Street Use The Lower End Will Be More Fun.

Last edited by onoiocoko; 07-07-2005 at 01:11 PM.
Old 07-07-2005, 01:25 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by onoiocoko
That Cam Seems To Be In The Same Range As The Tr224
That's what I figured - also why I was so hasty not to let this deal pass me by. A couple buddies of mine have GM Hotcams on their '02 T/As and I love the way that it sounds at idle and have read that the hotcam is easier on the valvetrain. I also considered buying that as well. My main concern is that if I'm gonna shell out $1K for install/tune - I want to be satisfied. To be honest, I wanted to attempt the cam install with the help of a friend or two, but since i've never done work like this to a car I lack the confidence to do it. I don't want to destroy my engine! I've read the Cam Guide here on LS1Tech, as well as jMx's cam install on LS1howto.com - but just think it'll be better to take it to a shop that knows what they're doing.
Old 07-07-2005, 01:54 PM
Launching!

I've got a little milder comp cam and Im super happy with it. I never race, its only a street car. (seems to get driven most driving from place to place to get it modified) I really wanted a nice running car. The cam I sent with, I dont have the specs in front of me, needed a spring change, but it was mild. It woke up the car on the low end, and mid to high rpms woke up with the other mods. Im happy with a mid cam. Alot of the suggestions you'll get on here are all about the strip.
Old 07-07-2005, 04:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I too am worried about which cam to get and how much install is. I also thought about doing it myself to save a load of $$$ and because everything else on my car was installed by me. You could probably attempt it yourself as long as you have a friend that has done this before to help you and if you have all the necessary air tools, torque wrenches, etc. This is the route I'll probably take when I decide to go for some lope.
Old 07-07-2005, 04:54 PM
Staging Lane

2000BlkCamaroSS - How did the LT install go? I want to install mine too - they're sitting in my garage right now...as far as the cam install, time is not an issue for me (a lil' nissan is my daily driver) but experience IS an issue. my friend has pretty much all the tools needed - the only problem is that none of my friends have done a cam swap (they paid to have theirs installed at a shop) and i don't want my car to be the guinea pig.
Old 07-07-2005, 05:02 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

for a all street car... that cam is fine...
with the LT's and cutout it will be a totally differant beast...
Old 07-07-2005, 05:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I didn't start working on engines or cars at all until I got mine a year ago. I figured that as long as it wasn't the engine, I can't screw anything up that can't be undone. I just start taking parts off and figure out how to put the new ones on. For example, I never knew one thing about brakes but I just pulled out my ratched one day and changed the pads and rotors. Easy install but time consuming. I had a friend do most of my header install because I was working. That was the only mod I didn't do at least 90% of. It only took him 3 hours. He had ALL the tools though because he does mechanic work on the side for extra $$. Didn't look too hard. Just set the car on stands or a lift and slide them up from under the car. You should also be able to find plenty of install documents for that too. Just don't be too worried about it. Its not like you can screw it up. When you do it, you will also want to replace the spark plugs since you're already gonna have them taken out for the LT install.
Old 07-07-2005, 05:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The only hard thing about a LT install is getting the drivers side LT past the k-member. This also depends on what brand header you're using. You will probably have to spend some time with getting it in there but after its in, just get your gasket and bolts and bolt it up.
Old 07-07-2005, 05:20 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 2000BlkCamaroSS
The only hard thing about a LT install is getting the drivers side LT past the k-member. This also depends on what brand header you're using. You will probably have to spend some time with getting it in there but after its in, just get your gasket and bolts and bolt it up.
I've read many posts about LT install being "time-consuming" and frustrating, but not complicated - so I am gonna try the install next weekend with my friend. I've heard that the Jet-Hot LTs fit without too much trouble...
Old 07-07-2005, 05:28 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by jaberwaki
for a all street car... that cam is fine...
with the LT's and cutout it will be a totally differant beast...
Yeah, I can hardly wait for the cam to be installed. I just bought the LTs, cam and cutout within the past month and a half plus i'm waiting on a GMMG GP to finalize (another $600-650 anticipated) so if that GP goes through...I WILL BE BROKE!!!! So, I don't think the cam will be going in until a month or so from now...dammit. Unless I break out the credit card...
Old 07-07-2005, 07:25 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by chrischiz79
That's what I figured - also why I was so hasty not to let this deal pass me by. A couple buddies of mine have GM Hotcams on their '02 T/As and I love the way that it sounds at idle and have read that the hotcam is easier on the valvetrain. I also considered buying that as well. My main concern is that if I'm gonna shell out $1K for install/tune - I want to be satisfied. To be honest, I wanted to attempt the cam install with the help of a friend or two, but since i've never done work like this to a car I lack the confidence to do it. I don't want to destroy my engine! I've read the Cam Guide here on LS1Tech, as well as jMx's cam install on LS1howto.com - but just think it'll be better to take it to a shop that knows what they're doing.

If you like their Hotcams you better take a close look at the ASA (226/236 0.525"/0.525" 110 LSA) cam. Just as easy on the valvetrain as the Hotcam but makes more power under the curve.
Sounds more nasty and it is daily driveable with a good tune.
I'm sure it makes a lot more power than the cam what you already bought and a lot easier on the valvetrain...no maintance cam.
Check my sig...you will find two soundclips of my car/ setup with the ASA cam.
Old 07-08-2005, 10:13 AM
Staging Lane

damn. that sounds nice - i saw your dyno sheet on another thread - nice power too.