Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! Should I buy this '98 SS?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2005, 08:55 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default HELP! Should I buy this '98 SS?

K i just got back from testdriving a 98 SS M6 (at least i'm 99% sure it was since it had a GU6 Diff.). First thing I noticed was it was highly customized (somewhat but not very tastefully and debadged) at some random dealership. It has 62K miles on it and they was $14k (which I can bring down, i'm sure). The car was offered as-is with no warranty. It was pretty raced up (or felt like it) custom air intake, knotchy shifter, good clutch (caught high up and well), VERY loud exhaust (only came out 1 side w/ 2 tips ???) and the suspension was KILLER - (I think my back hurts but I could live with it on a daily basis lol). The interior was sorta customized - including an Air/Fuel ratio gague and aftermarket sterio (big whatever - just weight in the back as far as i'm concerned). I REALLY need to get it to a mechanic to take a closer look at it. Functonally, the car performed very well, the clutch engaged high and the engine had good pull, especially for those kinda miles. Anyone know of a good mechanic in Las Vegas that's knowledgeable about F-bodies? I'd love for this one to work out cause I'd have enough money left over to do a cam swap . I need help on this one, PLEASE!

P.S. The Carfax said it has had 3 owners and originally registered in CA... has a completely clean title according to them.

Thanks for any help/advice!

Last edited by GTObsessor; 07-09-2005 at 11:14 PM.
Old 07-10-2005, 01:04 AM
Deranged Rat Fink

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

14k is a bit high for a '98 . Mods can hurt the value , too. Have it checked and offer them 10k.
Old 07-10-2005, 01:22 AM
Staging Lane

See if you can get some sort of extended warranty, too.
I've got a 99 that came with a 3 year/36000 mile warranty.... just bought another year for under $200.
Old 07-11-2005, 02:12 AM
TECH Resident

I don't plan on spending anything more than 10.5k out the door... hopefully I can get away with 9.5 to 10 even. This place doesn't offer any type of extened warranty and there's no way I can get one. I'm having a mechanic check it out if tomrrow (that's assuming they'll let me take it out to Henderson) by a Chevy mechanic.