New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions about purchasing a vehicle out of state???

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2005, 03:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Questions about purchasing a vehicle out of state???

I could really use some help and input regarding the purchase of an out of state vehicle. I am buying a car in KY and will be having a friend pick it up and take it to Virginia. I am out of state in Ca.

My questions are these: What do I do about having a legit liscence plate or some other document to be able to have my friend drive the car back to VA? He'll have the title from KY, but wouldn't have plates for the car, and it would still be unregistered in VA.

What needs to be done in regards to insurance for the drive back to VA?

Also, the car has a salvage title, will I run into any additional troubles registering the car with this, does VA accept out of state titles, or will I need to have the car inspected by the DMV?

I'm still researching this and may find some stuff out soon, but I need to know as much as possible soon, and I'm sure folks on here have encountered these issues before.

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-31-2005, 09:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Are you buying it from a dealership or private party? I live in NJ and got mine from a dealership in CT. They gave me dealer tags and registered and insured the car for Friday, the day I picked it up, so I could get it home without any problems. Then I had to mail back the plate, insurance card and the registration papers.
Old 07-31-2005, 10:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm buying from a private party, so it won't be that easy unfortunately...
Old 07-31-2005, 11:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

a local DMV should give you a temporary out of state tag.
Old 07-31-2005, 12:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Umm here in Ga you have thirty days from the day of sale to maintain a tag and proof of insurance..you are covered by the state for those thirty days seeing as you have a bill of sale in the car at all times..the salvaged title should not present a problem...just take the salvaged title to the dmv and they will re issue it in your name as a salvaged car....i had to do the same with mine and it was no big deal..but as always check your local and state laws to see what are applicable..these are just GA standards...you could always play stupid...jk