New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally got my Loan and I am picking up my dream car today....

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2005, 04:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally got my Loan and I am picking up my dream car today....

Ok, If you guys have been paying attention you will notice that I been looking at a couple of cars lately and asking question here. The car im getting is this Camaro SS here....Car LINK .

Now, Im really nervous. So far I havent drove it. I heard it running but thats it. I didnt noticed anything wrong with it. But, What should I look for ? What things should I look at ???? I am not a super expirienced mechanic but also im not a rookie so I have basic knowledge of things.

Please guys give me all the tips I need !!!
Old 08-23-2005, 05:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

tell us more about the CAR.. year, miles auto or manual etc....

and congrats you will love it!!!
Old 08-23-2005, 05:32 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ibanez7
tell us more about the CAR.. year, miles auto or manual etc....

and congrats you will love it!!!
Check the tire tread for wear and tear. Check underneath of the car for rust. Check the paint to make sure it all looks even or if it looks like it was possibly repainted for some reason (wreck). Check the tire well areas to make sure they aren't bent up (wreck). When you drive it, don't have the radio on and listen closely for any sounds such as squeeks, pings, knocks, gurgling sounds, etc so you can make sure they fix anything before you buy. Make sure it drives well, doesn't sputter or feel like it's choking or anything, should be pretty smooth. Make sure there are no lights on the dash such as "Change Oil, ABS Inop, Brake, Security" etc. Check interior for any damage and if you find some use that to help take the price down if possible. Same really goes for the outside. Check the engine for any leaks or cobbled up hoses etc. Make sure the power seats/windows work, and that all the interior and exterior lighting works.

And that's all I have to say about that...

Good luck!

Last edited by DarkOneX; 08-23-2005 at 06:18 PM.
Old 08-23-2005, 05:36 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by DarkOneX
Check the tire tread for wear and tear. Check underneath of the car for rust. Check the paint to make sure it all looks even or if it looks like it was possibly repainted for some reason (wreck). Check the tire well areas to make sure they aren't bent up (wreck). When you drive it, don't have the radio on and listen closely for any sounds such as squeeks, pings, knocks, gurgling sounds, etc so you can make sure they fix anything before you buy. Make sure it drives well, doesn't sputter or feel like it's choking or anything, should be pretty smooth. Make sure there are now lights on the dash such as "Change Oil, ABS Inop, Brake, Security" etc. Check interior for any damage and if you find some use that to help take the price down if possible. Same really goes for the outside. Check the engine for any leaks or cobbled up hoses etc. Make sure the power seats/windows work, and that all the interior and exterior lighting works.

And that's all I have to say about that...

Good luck!

'nuff said
Old 08-23-2005, 06:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

along with checking the paint, make sure the body lines between panels are even!!
Old 08-23-2005, 11:34 PM
TECH Addict

Ok guys, First let me tell you, The car is a 2002 Camaro SS, NBM, Auto, 35,000 miles, black leather interior, SLP options include the CME, Grill, and Blackwing? lid.

So here goes, I took it for a drive, The car makes no noise or squeaks or anything unnormal. The car does wobble in the front end when I hit the brakes. The guy doesnt really know about cars so he said it might be the rotors. I dont know about this since my 98 Malibu started acting like this and It turned out that the wheel hub assembly was bad, The bearing had no grease, It had leaked and stuff. The car does have a GM extended warranty so I told him that I really wanted the car and that I had the money on my hands already BUT that wobble bothered me alot. So tomorrow he is taking it to a Chevy dealer and have that checked.

Another thing I didnt like but I wanted to ask you guys is that the CME valance is not making full contact with the bumper, It looks like the Double sided tape it had or whatever it is, Is not sticky enough anymore.

Also, On the driver side, right above the side marker, where the rear bumper meets the rear fender, The line is too big on that side But on the passenger is straight and flush with the fender. I hope you guys understand what im saying.
Old 08-24-2005, 12:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The shaking is probably warped rotors, the stock brakes suck. Not too big of a deal, but it'd be a good idea to have him replace them, or have him knock down your price so you can put Brembo blanks and HPS hawk pads on it.
Old 08-24-2005, 12:27 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Toasty
The shaking is probably warped rotors, the stock brakes suck. Not too big of a deal, but it'd be a good idea to have him replace them, or have him knock down your price so you can put Brembo blanks and HPS hawk pads on it.
Are you almost 100% sure its rotors ????

My 98 Malibu had this shake, or wobble, I changed rotors, pads, I even changed teh caliper, and nothing. It turned out the Wheel Hub assembly was messed up.
Old 08-24-2005, 01:21 AM
TECH Addict

Here is a couple of pictures from cars of members of this forum.
My purpose is to show you guys what I was saying about the Bumper not meeting the fender right and the CME valance.

Old 08-24-2005, 04:31 AM
Staging Lane

Sorry to get off the subject but are those Z06 rims on that black SS. What size are the rims and tires? Those look sweet.
Old 08-24-2005, 01:32 PM
Launching!

i dont even see the gaps...sorry dude
Old 08-24-2005, 01:54 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by pewterta
i dont even see the gaps...sorry dude
LOL, that's because those aren't pix of HIS car he's looking at, he just picked a couple shots of other cars to circle the area he's talking about that has gaps on the car he IS looking at.