New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 05-13-2016, 03:09 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Specifications & General Maintenance
Print Wikipost

Improving Fuel Economy of your F-body

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2005, 05:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yea a refining and delivery shortage but by some miracle diesel fuel hasn't budged...
Old 09-02-2005, 06:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I feel that since im paying more for the gas ($3.59 gal 93 octane Amoco) that I need to get more out of it....so now im driving faster than normal. I would only leave 1 patch a week at the stop sign 3 houses away...now I have laid one down everyday this week...maybe out of rage...but it feels like im getting my moneys worth....and it always makes me feel good
Old 09-03-2005, 01:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by damon_Z
Give me a legal license to eliminate the ignorant drivers of Hummers, Tahoes, Suburbans, Expeditions, Escalades, exotic cars, and other wasteful vehicles and I'll do my job with pleasure.
Respectfully, while I applaud you for your sensitivity to our environment, I have to respond that was one of the more if not the most ignorant postings I've ever read on a performance car website. I have to ask if you don't believe in other people having the freedom of choice to spend their money how they want to, drive what they want to, etc...? This is America afterall and what someone else drives and how is none of your business. Thank God your in New Jersey and not in Texas, you wouldn't last long at all with that attitude here.

If you want to eliminate polluters by whatever means you are implying, then you should start with yourself, afterall you by your own admittance are driving a mustang that gets 19 miles to the gallon and a Z28 that I know can't be doing better then 20 in town and maybe 32 on the highway at best. Perhaps you should change your user name to hypocrite_Z
Old 09-03-2005, 02:33 PM
12 Second Club

I'll be pulling my ricer out of the "back yard" and ws6 in the garage or dont drive my ws6, NOT!! just on weekends.

fuerzaws6
Old 09-03-2005, 03:40 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Joker
If you want to eliminate polluters by whatever means you are implying, then you should start with yourself, afterall you by your own admittance are driving a mustang that gets 19 miles to the gallon and a Z28 that I know can't be doing better then 20 in town and maybe 32 on the highway at best. Perhaps you should change your user name to hypocrite_Z
I love the way people retaliate by reversing or ignoring what was originally said. Didn't I just say that I wanted to buy a C6 at first, but now I'd rather buy a Prius? I bought the mustang and camaro long before I became environmentally aware, but now I have no choice but to daily drive a mustang, because I don't have the money for a Prius.
Old 09-03-2005, 04:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love the way people retaliate by reversing or ignoring what was originally said. Didn't I just say that I wanted to buy a C6 at first, but now I'd rather buy a Prius? I bought the mustang and camaro long before I became environmentally aware, but now I have no choice but to daily drive a mustang, because I don't have the money for a Prius.
i thought your original post was a joke.....im gonna go in my back yard now and give my trees a big hug for you
Old 09-03-2005, 04:32 PM
11 Second Club

I'll keep my A4 with 4,000 stall speed converter, thank you very much.
Old 09-03-2005, 04:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by blkZ28spt
I'll keep my A4 with 4,000 stall speed converter, thank you very much.
And I will keep my off road Y pipe with !cats
Old 09-03-2005, 07:22 PM
Teching In

This thread is kind of funny to me. I live in the country on gravel roads. I live 50 miles one way from work and carpool with my wife. I bought my TA because it was the only car I ever wanted, once I realized they got upward of 30 MPG, I ran out and bought one to replace the 1994 Grand Cherokee V8 (19 MPG if I am lucky) for the "nice days". I still drive the Grand on the icy or snowy days, because I have to, just to get out or possibly back in to my house if it snows while I am at work.

We used to drive the Grand everyday, because gas was cheap, and it offered some safety from all of the old farts and dipshits that don't use turn signals, don't stop at stop signs, and don't know how to drive in general. Most everyone here drives huge *** Suburbans or One ton trucks. If you get hit by one of those in a little prius it is all over. The biggest guy wins. People around here even buy Suburbans for their kids to drive around because it is safer for them in a front end collision because of the mass. Those are the scary ones. It can be like a demolition derby when there is freezing rain.

Anyways, when everyone saw the car I just bought, they started giving me a rash of **** because you can't drive it in the winter. Then when I say I can fit 2 kid seats in the back and get 32 MPG they shut the hell up. Now everyone is envious. My TA is the economy car. Even if I can't drive it every day of the year, it has saved a ton of cash.
Old 09-03-2005, 08:14 PM
Launching!

Give me a legal license to eliminate the ignorant drivers of Hummers, Tahoes, Suburbans, Expeditions, Escalades, exotic cars, and other wasteful vehicles and I'll do my job with pleasure.
If you want to reduce the pollution, buying an econobox won't do jack in the grand scheme of things. Go talk to the airline industry, or perhaps the third world countries whose factories are polluting the hell out of the world environment because they have no environmental provisions or laws to abide by like we do here in the US. Take a look at the capital of China on anyday of the week, you think the smog in LA is bad? Maybe talk the trucking industry as well.

Pretty hypocritical to say you want to eliminate the ignorant drivers of SUVs and exotic cars when you drive an '88 GT and a Z28. Regardless if you're now buying a Prius rather than a C6.

Signed, Ignorant Tahoe Driver.

P.S. I use my truck for work, not just to see myself drive around in an SUV.
Old 09-03-2005, 11:51 PM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is to all those suggesting to buy a civic

Yes, I do drive my T/A (daily driver) like a "granny" most of the time. I don't want to beat the **** out of my car 24/7. Ya know what- it will last longer that way, and I'll get better gas mileage too. But I also have the freedom ANYTIME I want to get in a merge lane, or to get into the fast lane to pass, or get around an idiot driver whenever I damn well please. Just because you have the power doesn't mean you have to use it all the time or waste it. But is nice to know its there when you need it Can't do that with a civic tho
Old 09-04-2005, 01:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Wont cams with a higher LSA generally get better mileage?
Old 09-04-2005, 12:27 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by LSWannabe
Wont cams with a higher LSA generally get better mileage?
That is too general. The LSA is only one factor in determining overlap, which is a major factor in gas mileage and emissions. Overlap is calculated with this:

[(intake duration + exhasut duration) / 4] - LSA, all multiplied by two.

The more overlap a cam has, generally speaking, the less the gas mileage and worse the emissions will be.
Old 09-04-2005, 01:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I didn't ignore the part about you wanting to buy a C6, etc... I was responding that here in AMERICA, people have the right to buy and drive what they want, and that your original statement comes across as an amazing hypocrite for commenting you want to "eliminate" those people who would choose to buy and drive something that doesn't fit your sensitive enviromental awareness you seem to have acquired much like a death row prisoner finds religeon once confined.

How do you plan to eliminate these consumers who use their freedom of choice, are you stating that you would commit murder or what because they choose to drive an SUV? Are you planning on rounding them and relocating them? Sounds incredibly environmentaly aware and friendly, also very much against the rights that every American is guranteed under the Bill of Rights and our Constitution. Your statements are not only ignorant, but very dangerous and provides myself and most other freedom loving Americans just one more reason to exercise our second amendment. Look it up if you have any questions.

Who or what gives you the right to decide what is the right car for others to drive and to "eliminate" those who would drive what you now despise? If you're so sensitive or aware, trade in your mustang and camaro and get your precious Prius. With the rebate and tax incentives on hybrids and "enviromentally friendly" cars, you could easily become the poster child for ELF.

If you were truly environmentally aware, you would be riding a bicycle (I ride a mountain bike five days a week to work), walking, or some other form of alternative transportation without regard to the costs of financial position. Yet you still drive a 19 mpg mustang and a Z28. I have to ask, are you a fan of Arriana Huffington and Barbara Streisand, two other well noted hypocrites who tell others how to live while not applying the same rules to themselves?

Continuing to own both of those cars while admitting that you would like to "eliminate" others is nothing short of hypocritical and ignorant. I hear the sunsets in France are amazing this time of year.

Last edited by Joker; 09-04-2005 at 01:33 PM.
Old 09-04-2005, 01:49 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Joker
I didn't ignore the part about you wanting to buy a C6, etc... I was responding that here in AMERICA, people have the right to buy and drive what they want, and that your original statement comes across as an amazing hypocrite for commenting you want to "eliminate" those people who would choose to buy and drive something that doesn't fit your sensitive enviromental awareness you seem to have acquired much like a death row prisoner finds once confined.

How do you plan to eliminate these consumers who use their freedom of choice, are you stating that you would commit murder or what because they choose to drive an SUV? Sounds incredibly environmentaly aware and friendly.

Who gives you the right to decide what is the right car for others to drive and to "eliminate" those who would drive what you now despise? If you're so sensitive or aware, trade in your mustang and camaro and get your precious Prius. With the rebate and tax incentives on hybrids and "enviromentally friendly" cars, you could easily become the poster child for ELF. If you were truly environmentally aware, you would be riding a bicycle, walking, or some othwer form of alternative transportation without regard to the costs of financial position. Yet you still drive a 19 mpg mustang and a Z28. I have to ask, are you a fan of Arriana Huffington and Barbara Streisand, two other well noted hypocrites who tell others how to live while not applying the same rules to themselves?

Continuing to own both of those cars while admitting that you would like to "eliminate" others is nothing short of hypocritical and ignorant. I hear the sunsets in France are amazing this time of year.
Yes, I drive a camaro that, at best, gets me 23 MPH and a mustang that, at best, gets me 19 MPG. It's true that I have recently become environmentally aware and have disdain for those who drive gaz-guzzling vehicles. Based only on my last two sentences, it does sound like I'm a hypocrite, but you miserably fail to consider my situation and future intent. The mustang was bought in '99 and the camaro in '01--long before I became environmentally aware. With my current financial position, I cannot simply sell the mustang and camaro to buy a Prius. Also, it's my intent to keep the camaro only to drive it in the weekends at an average of 40 miles per weekend. Will I ever buy another V8? Maybe, but only for very limited driving. Will I buy a hybrid? Definitely, but I can't do it now. Just because I don't currently drive a fuel-efficient vehicle does not make me a hypocrite. And my future action to limit my fuel consumption definitely does not make me a hypocrite.

In two years, if I'm driving in Texas with my Toyota Prius and we somehow meet, will you still tell me that I'm a hypocrite, because I'm not riding my bike instead?

I'm done with this post and I'm unsubscribing. Go ahead and show off what you think is politically correct. Unneccessary retaliation is your time wasted.
Old 09-04-2005, 04:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yes, I drive a camaro that, at best, gets me 23 MPH and a mustang that, at best, gets me 19 MPG. It's true that I have recently become environmentally aware and have disdain for those who drive gaz-guzzling vehicles. Based only on my last two sentences, it does sound like I'm a hypocrite, but you miserably fail to consider my situation and future intent. The mustang was bought in '99 and the camaro in '01--long before I became environmentally aware. With my current financial position, I cannot simply sell the mustang and camaro to buy a Prius. Also, it's my intent to keep the camaro only to drive it in the weekends at an average of 40 miles per weekend. Will I ever buy another V8? Maybe, but only for very limited driving. Will I buy a hybrid? Definitely, but I can't do it now. Just because I don't currently drive a fuel-efficient vehicle does not make me a hypocrite. And my future action to limit my fuel consumption definitely does not make me a hypocrite.

In two years, if I'm driving in Texas with my Toyota Prius and we somehow meet, will you still tell me that I'm a hypocrite, because I'm not riding my bike instead?

I'm done with this post and I'm unsubscribing. Go ahead and show off what you think is politically correct. Unneccessary retaliation is your time wasted.
You could sell either of those cars and buy a Civic hybrid for about 14k. Since you mentioned finances, what about a CX Civic hatch? Although they only have 70hp & 80ft lb., they get around 40mpg city and 45mpg highway. While it wouldn't be a hybrid, it would show some positive steps toward your evironmental enlightenment.
Old 09-04-2005, 06:09 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 206 Likes on 173 Posts

Give me a legal license to eliminate the ignorant drivers of wasteful vehicles and I'll do my job with pleasure.
Since you own an LS1 f-body and a V8 Mustang, I respectfully suggest you begin with yourself.
Old 09-04-2005, 06:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Unlike wife beating, where even a little bit is too much, how much you are environmentally aware and live your life is a sliding scale. I don't look down my nose at any body on the spectrum and I don't think anybody else should either.

Being "environmentally aware" is all well and good. When I was a kid we had 55 gal drum trash barrels that we'd burn each weekend. Eventually we got trash service and that was a good thing. We'd pour our used oil in the ditch, spray for bugs with some pretty nasty stuff, and take our old tires over to Bob's dad's house to throw out back in the ravine. Now we know better. But every year we become better educated and more concious of how our actions affect the rest of our community. Now our choice is HOW MUCH do we let being environmentally aware take over our lives.

But where are you on the sliding scale? My truck gets 10mpg in the city, the Harley gets 45. Will somebody stick their nose in the air at me 'cause I don't always ride the bike? F*ck 'em. Their car gets less mpg than my bike, but I don't look down my nose at them because they aren't doing "enough."

What's enough? Who says what is enough? Under what circumstances? When? One of my favorite sayings is, "And just who the hell are you that I should care what the f*ck you think?"

Unless a person spends their entire day agonizing over ever ounce of fuel, every molecule of plastic, every kilowatt of electricity...unless they have solar hot water, solar heated homes, wear cotton and leather...Oh, Wait...cotton comes from farms that have machinery that use gas and diesel fuel, and leather comes from cows that were ALL moved via trucks that use fuel...Well, it never ends, does it?

Nobody has room to talk. Nobody has any call to be a ***** to somebody that uses more gasoline than they do. Nobody has any right to say a stinkin' thing. Just do what you feel is the best you can do and keep your trap shut.

That's what I say, anyway. But who the hell am I that it matters what the hell I think?

$.02
Old 09-04-2005, 07:36 PM
Launching!

I pay the same money that I work for to be able to drive my gas guzzing vehicles. If anyone doesnt like it, they can kiss my ***, or pay for me to drive something else.
Old 09-04-2005, 08:38 PM
TECH Resident

I use E85 because its 106 octane for less than 87 octane... Makes more power as it is a fuel, an oxidizer and a intercooler....

Giving OPEC 85% of the middle finger and cleaner emissions is nice too...

Quick Reply: Improving Fuel Economy of your F-body