Sponsored by:

Just Bought '99 Trans Am on ebay... Some Issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2005, 09:51 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just Bought '99 Trans Am on ebay... Some Issues

Alright then..
I just picked up my new Trans am from Pittsburgh on Thursday. (Ebay) Everything was going good. I got in the car and drove it down to my first destination which was going to be D.C. Well about 20 miles north of D.C The Rpms revved way up and I noticed smoke pooring out of the rear end. DAMNIT!!!

Pulled into a state patrol office luckily a mile down the road and after 2 hours I finally got a tow truck driver to take me and the car to the nearest Pontiac dealership. Well that was after I told the toe truck driver he was a dumbass for hooking up my car the wrong way... (Since when did a Pontiac make a rear wheel drive car he exclaimed...)

$120 to tow the car into D.C area.
I then left a plee for the Service writer the next morning to try and fix my car because I am stranded here on my way back home to Orlando. Well I got a call the next morning (Friday) saying that the Transmission is fried and the pump broke creating a vacuum effect and spewing all the fluid out of the vent nozzle and onto my exhaust causing all of the smoke. Well 6 hours later they removed and installed a new transmission and I was on my way back home. This after getting in the Transmission from Baltimore.
$2974.11 (New Transmission)

After driving the car for 13 hours straight from D.C to Orlando I fell in love with the car... even though I am broke now. I still have to replace the brakes, Rotors, belts, spark plugs, oil, differential fluid, air filter and housing, Fog light bulb, light motor and some paint damage on the front end.

Total damage... $5816 Car
$142 Airfare
$175 Gas
$120 Tow
$2974.11 Transmission
Total = $9227.11 not including the other stuff I have to change on it. Now its going to be months before I can get to the fun stuff.

So......... Still want to buy a car on ebay? After my 3rd car buying experience on Ebay I have nothing good to say about it anymore. You get what you pay for...bottom line!

Anyways...Just thought I would share my experience.

Ill try and get some pics up but I have to try my best to shrink them down a bit.
Old 09-05-2005, 10:29 PM
Staging Lane

Sounds like you got pwned, hope it was worth it :/
Old 09-05-2005, 10:34 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you only paid 5800 for it? what condition is it in?
Old 09-05-2005, 10:39 PM
On The Tree

Thats the catcher. Great condition. Other than the things I mentioned... You get what you pay for. I just wish the ebayer would just own up to the **** and put that down...Now his company is going to get into some **** all because of one car they didnt check over like they said they did.
Old 09-06-2005, 02:11 AM
TECH Addict

Yikes, that's ebay for ya!
Old 09-06-2005, 12:33 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by NemesisLS1
Well that was after I told the toe truck driver he was a dumbass for hooking up my car the wrong way... (Since when did a Pontiac make a rear wheel drive car he exclaimed...)
I always request a flatbed.

I wont let my cars get pulled behind the normal kind of tow truck. I actually saw one idiot take off way too fast (he launched it, i think to impress a chick) and the car came unhooked and rolled into a parked car. Also, I dont want to chance the nose or exhaust hitting the ground and taking damage. This is especially a concern on the f-body due to long overhangs (front and rear).
Old 09-06-2005, 05:35 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,690 Likes on 1,211 Posts

Originally Posted by VIP1
I always request a flatbed.
Yep, I agree with this one. Always get the flatbed.

Anyway, sounds like you got a good deal even with all the issues. $5800 is dirt cheap for a '99 T/A in good condition.
Old 09-06-2005, 05:41 PM
12 Second Club

Even after the $9k, good deal on the car!
Old 09-06-2005, 05:50 PM
On The Tree

yea i paid almost 11 for mine how many miles on it, sounds like an ok deal so far
Old 09-06-2005, 06:02 PM
Import Patrol

Seems like a good price, unless there is an ungodly amount of miles on it
Old 09-06-2005, 06:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah, I wouldn't be too broken up about it. Depending on how many miles are on that bad boy I'd say you still have a good deal (and a brand new tranny too!!).
Old 09-06-2005, 06:34 PM
VSJ
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, how many miles are on her?

Btw, did you used to own a Tiburon?
Old 09-06-2005, 11:29 PM
TECH Resident

I wouldn't bash on ebay too much, I bought my car from ebay ( sorta ) and It's perfect.
Old 09-07-2005, 12:15 AM
On The Tree

Well...The engine runs strong and I am working on it now. Ill make it perfect believe me. I have the 50,000 mile warranty on the trany and 3,000 miles on the Engine. So I guess I shouldnt complain too much. I just really didnt want to spend all that money in one place if you know what I mean.

There are 121,000 miles on the clock. Im doing compression tests tomorow when I change out the plugs. Other than that I love it.

I have owned a 86' 944 Turbo, 95' Trans Am convertible, 99' ZR2 blazer, 99' Honda Superhawk VTR1000 (still have) and now this 99' Trans Am.

I love cars and love speed. Well speed on my bike anyways...Speed in the car is a little bit different. I dont know what it is. I can take a bike 140 around sharp corners but going over a hundred just scares the **** out of me. Well not really...I just love the adrenaline.

Anyways....I got a new credit card and a new job so its just a matter of time before I can get to the good stuff.

Thanks for your support guys!
Old 09-07-2005, 12:24 AM
On The Tree

Here are some shitty *** pictures...I cant believe you have to try and make them smaller than 100kb or whatever it is...thats just sad.

But when it stops raining here I will get some good pictures and make a new cardomain website.
Attached Thumbnails Just Bought '99 Trans Am on ebay... Some Issues-new2.jpg   Just Bought '99 Trans Am on ebay... Some Issues-new1.jpg  
Old 09-07-2005, 01:11 AM
TECH Resident

Looks good, love NMB, you DEFINATELY need to get some new rotors those things look rusted to crap...
Welcome to the addiction.
Old 09-07-2005, 02:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Heh, compared to your Porsche this car will seem cheap to repair.

The only crappy thing about this car is: the tranny didn't break for no reason....any abuse on the tranny, went to the engine...low enough miles that you'll be fine, don't skimp on the maitenance. Good
Luck.
Old 09-07-2005, 02:44 PM
Launching!

Sorry to hear about your bad experience buying a car on eBay. I looked up the auction on eBay to see how those bastards presented the car for sale. It's very misleading and full of bullshit. I like how they say, "WE HAVE CONVERTED TO PRIVATE AUCTIONS TO PROTECT THE PRIVACY OF OUR OUTSTANDING EBAY CUSTOMERS AND BIDDERS….." I also like how they're feedback is private...I wonder why? Maybe because they sell shitty cars but advertise them as being in tip-top shape? I recently bought some tires off of eBay and nearly got screwed over. After leaving negative feedback about their shady business practices, they made their feedback private.

I feel like going down to their dealership and giving them a nice tongue lashing. They also claim, "Our manager has given this Pontiac a "green light", ensuring that the engine and transmission are strong and smooth and the a/c blows cold. This vehicle looks and runs great and is ready for any distance road trip you might have in front of you." I wonder if you can take any action against them for that highlighted statement in their auction description? I'll be sure to spread the word around town and at various track events about these assclowns. I feel your pain...

Last edited by waveoff; 09-07-2005 at 02:49 PM.
Old 09-07-2005, 04:20 PM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Did you check the fluids when you picked up the car? I got mine from ebay as well and the car was located in clearwater, FL. I made sure to check the fluids, especially the tranny fluid since I had a long drive to NY. The one thing that I knew I had to replace was the coolant, they had water in there.
Old 09-07-2005, 06:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well even with the new tranny you got a good deal i say...mileage is slightly higher but i think its a good deal..plus you got a warranty on the engine and a new tranny..i dont think you got screwed cause thats a great looking car and an awesome price...hope nothing else tears up