New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First or Second car?; ws6 difference?; how much cost to run 11s-12s?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2005, 07:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're going for an LT1 4th gen, get the Z28, IMO they look better than the 'birds of those years
Old 10-05-2005, 07:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

than what did you say i should get before, i got confused
Old 10-05-2005, 08:13 PM
Launching!

if you really want a ls1 go for it. just be absolutely positive without a dout you will not do something dumb in it. theres nothing wrong with a nice first car. dont feel guilty just know that highschool kids think its funny to mess with peoples cars and it is tempting to do something you would regret. on the other hand if you get a nice car to start with and are responsible, you will save your parents lots of money by being consistant and not gettin a new car or repairs on a clunker. good luck with the decision.
Old 10-05-2005, 08:19 PM
TECH Addict

I suggested a 3rd gen f body 87-92,( they started in 82 but till 87 they sucked) for a 3rd gen get either an IROC Camaro, or a GTA Trans AM,(top of the line for chevy and pontiac) either one look sweet, but you didn't want one that old
Then I said for the 4th gen f body, I like the look of the Camaro over the Firebird
Old 10-05-2005, 09:38 PM
TECH Resident

hmm well i am pertty good driver, i start driveing when i was 9 in india which has the worst trafic, (people walking out of no where) but it sure wasn't a 300+ hp
I started playing video games in NYC when I was 8 years old and I still suck and now its with a PS2....lol
I am not really seeing a point in your statement because I know people that been driving 25 years that still suck.
All I am saying is if you get the ls-1 you will push the car and yourself to new limits every time. It is human nature. At 16 however the decisions of how far and when to do so are not as keen as when someone has lifes experiences behind them.
I'll go another step and tell you that it doesn't matter how great you drive, when you are speeding it is usually someone elses fault that causes the accident in the sense that it is difficult to visually judge speed of car coming at you. I am not trying to be funny, but rather truthful. A car's speed is very hard to judge when it is coming at you. There are very small changes visually when a car is coming at you no matter the speed. A car coming at you 60 mph appears slower moving then a car going past you at 60 mph. For example
a car going 60 head on at you has a certain visible width so to speak
(0-0) Imagine the zeros are headlights
After it has travelled some distance you see the car now looks like this:
(0---0) In other words it has gotten closer to you but the shape has only doubled in size visually.
The problem lies in the fact that the car may have actually travelled 4 times the distance when you first saw it.

That is why most accidents are someone pulling out in front of you.
Consider this ..a car travelling at 60 mph is moving at 88 feet per second!!
A typical 4th gen ta is about 16 feet along, so a car travelling at 60 mph is covering the length of roughly 6 ta's bumper to bumper in one second! How good of a driver do you have to be to evade an accident when grandma pulls out of the shopping center parking lot.
If a car is going 80 mph then it is covering 117 feet per second!! or 7.3 ta's bumper to bumper per sec.
I don't care if you are related to Andretti or Fittipaldi, by the time you see something happening in front of you, then your brain interprets and decides whats going on and what action your going to do,then mechanically the car attempts to do what your maneuvering it do, it is probably too late. Not even considering weather or road defects there may be and what errors you may have made in deciding what action to take and adding time into the equation to correct said errors, and even others drivers/pedestrian reactions to your evasive maneauvers that could lead to a different accident or worse accident.
Basically the faster you go the less time you have to make the right decision.
This is why when people talk about top end runs in their ls-1 's that I get scared for me and my family. An ls-1 can run to about 155 mph. That translates to 227.3 feet per second!!!!! A topped out ta is travelling the length almost the lenght of a football field in ONE second!!!!
I sure wish that there were more tracks for people who feel like experimenting could go to.
Old 10-06-2005, 08:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

About a year ago, down here there was a fatal crash (3 dead) involving an 02 SS. Turns out the driver (kid) had just bought it a couple of "DAYS" before he raced it down a curvy street with his g/f and little brother in the car.The LS1 in the wrong hands is a loaded weapon waiting to go off. Just be careful!!!!
Link to story....http://www.nbc6.net/news/3780468/detail.html
Old 10-06-2005, 08:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

I started out with a v6 camaro. Even with that I got carried away here and there. I never was one to go fast as far as speed, but I love(d) acceleration. I always liked the rain (idiot) in the v6 because I could spin the tires. That was a mistake more than once. I ended up doing a 360 twice in the couple years I owned that car. One was meant to happen the other was not. It's very scary not to have control. Now being 19 (I know I'm not old) I have changed a lot. Especially with a 400rwhp car. I never get on it in the rain. It's just not worth it. Especially since I can smoke the tires in 1-3 gears if I wanted to. Thing is I wouldn't recommend it as a first car for typical people, Driving a ls1 powered car at 16 safely is like trying crack. It's possible to not get addicted after the first time, but it's not probable. Just the same as it's possible for you to drive responsible with it, but it's not probable.

The BIGGEST mistake of anyone making a controversial decision is that they do not think of anything besides themselves (no bashing intended, just what I've noticed from people) They say it's ok if I drive drunk, it's my life I'm putting on the line, that's complete I can't even count the times that drunk drivers have killed others and not themselves. Just a little pointer that I'm sure you know, but may not have really thought about.
Old 10-06-2005, 08:35 PM
TECH Addict

Dude if you working for it id say go for it just be careful with all that power. At 17 I had a 3000GT VR4 twin turbo and before that a 98 T/A. If you can afford it get what you really want, I work my *** off and get what I want. Thats what I did and as long as you have a little COMMON SENSE you will be fine
Old 10-06-2005, 09:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DarkOneX
$13/hr @ 15yrs old!? Where you live? that's almost $2 more/hr then I make and I'm 28.
I guess I'm extremely lucky. I'm almost 19 and make 50/hr. Although that is a part-time job, working only about 10 hours a week. Don't even ask what I do though...haha

OverLord- Even tho I'm only a couple years older than you I'd have to agree with everyone else. However, I think that as long as you take your time and get used to your car (read drive it slow and normally for a long time) then you should be fine in the long run. Besides, it's your money, get what you want. Just use some common sense, everyone's just tryin to look out for you. Good luck.
Old 10-06-2005, 11:15 PM
TECH Resident

Buy a skittle ( SRT-4 ), nice starting car and decent power for a FWD 4 door neon or get a v6 firebird/camaro. Just my .02 cents.
Old 10-06-2005, 11:35 PM
Teching In

My first car was a honda civic. second car was an s-10. i am 20 years old and i just bought a TA. They are some mean cars. going from a civic to a TA is a big jump...going from 90 hp to 305 is a big jump. very scary
Old 10-06-2005, 11:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by redfbird99
lucky ****, im turnin 16 on halloween of this year, and i have to pay for every cent of my car, thus why im stuck with a 1999 firebird v6 w68 sure will be nice seeing the look on v8 drivers faces when i blow by them in the future tho
Really, I would pay to see that!!
Old 10-06-2005, 11:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by redfbird99
lucky ****, im turnin 16 on halloween of this year, and i have to pay for every cent of my car, thus why im stuck with a 1999 firebird v6 w68 sure will be nice seeing the look on v8 drivers faces when i blow by them in the future tho
Really? I would pay to see that!!
Old 10-07-2005, 12:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Allergik2dyin
I guess I'm extremely lucky. I'm almost 19 and make 50/hr. Although that is a part-time job, working only about 10 hours a week. Don't even ask what I do though...haha
What do you do.. I MUST KNOW BTW the Camaro was my first car had her for almost 3 months now.. i'll be 17 in december and these guys are right im way more of a mature driver than every single one of my friends except 1 (same level of maturity) and since your outranked by a ton of teenage drivers.. even though im only a year older im going to have to agree with everyone else but go with what you want you worked hard just dont roll it at 140MPH so everyone on this board can say i told you so!! (yes it has happened before do a search )
Old 10-07-2005, 01:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

My first ride was a 79 Trans Am with a 455. it was slow needed alot of work but with 2.08 gears the thing was great on the high way. Second car was a 92 euro spec VW Carrado. That was a lot of fun until I got arrested for doing 115 in a 30. Thankfully I was in Germany. I didn't get jail time thank god but i lost my license for 3 months and had 1 month to pay a 600 euro fine, not good when you only have 400 to your name after all the bills were paid.
Old 10-07-2005, 02:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

my first ride was a 93 Lincoln Mark 8...now while it did have a 4.6 V-8...the "boat" was a stable car...something for me to "play" with and find out what a V-8 is like...and believe you me, i fucked up in that car...running into curbs in the rain and snow, rearender...that was at 16, and now im 19 and have learned A LOT! i now drive a 98 Formy...and it is a lot of power, it still scares me once and a while...but i know more or less how to respect that...so if you do end up with an LS1 just please be EXTREAMLY carefull when you first get it(for a few years)...its a lot of car...just my 2 cents....
Old 10-07-2005, 03:10 AM
TECH Resident

what do you do?? i call BS.. for working @ the hospital. what do you EXACTLY do?? im a RN and there isnt such a job that you could do without a certification. maybe a JANITOR??
doesnt matter if you drove shelby or 300hp cars befo or not. itz just different when you drive it DAILY. With 9k cash i would def save some more then get a vette when you are lil bit older. maybe till 19 or 20?? just my thought.
Old 10-07-2005, 03:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Man I would have loved to have had my car when I was 16. Now I'm glad I'm didn't. My parents used to tell my more than likely you will have some sort of a wreck the first year you are driving. I used to say no way I'm a good driver I'll be alright. about 6 mths after I got my license guess what i had a wreck. that was my fault. All of my buddys except for one had some sort of a accident there first year driving. Some just bumping a car in the parking lot, to mine hitting a plank fence at 70mph and having a solid oak board bust out the passenger glass and boucing off the steering wheel and then going through my leg and then into the set. (I swear on that, and have pics of car and leg before and after). Man honestly buy a beater save your money until your about 18 or 19 and then get a fast car. This coming from a 23 year old BTW.
Old 10-07-2005, 09:09 PM
Teching In

I turn 16 in 2 weeks and will most likelt get an LS1 SS/WS6. I understand the power these cars have and respect it. I personally do not like the i dea of "street racing" or any other act of stupidity on the street. (not busting on those that may street race) It is close to impossible to resist the urge to run the guy sittin next to you at the light when there is no traffic, I'm sure everyone on this board has done it. My message to the guys my age: Take it to the track and don't be irresponsible and stupid. Show you can handle and don't look like the spoiled immature kid with an F-body. Oh, by the way... I just registered but have lurked here and at RevXtreme for the past two years but just now registered here and still haven't at RX (dont have a car so I don't feel right registering on a CAR forum).
Old 10-08-2005, 12:39 AM
10 Second Club

Man, I'll tell you what, my first car was a 1996 oldsmobile cierra with the 3100 in it. I wanted to go fast and all my friends had fast cars ('68 Cobra, TT300zx, VR-4, 01 Z06, and a 99 SS) Trust me I know how it felt to not want a sh!tty car. I drove that cierra until I was 17. I bought my first car it was an 89 Camaro RS It was slow yes but the 305 TBI still put out enough HP to get me into trouble. After learning what a RWD car does in the rain/traffic/parking lots I became aware that Fbody's are no joke and takes some serious respect and maturity to own. When I was 19 I bought my WS.6 and thought it was no big deal (This was also the first 13 second car I had ever driven) I didn't think it was going to be that big of a jump, until I was playing around at 3:00am on the highway and look down and i was doing 135mph and didn't even realize it. After gaining much respect for my car I realized that the years driving my Oldsmobile and Camaro, learning real life scenarios in traffic I'm glad it wasn't in my WS.6.

I got all my street racing out of me last year and having a badass car that everyone knows in town, and being known to everyone that I would race anyone for no reason. Until I got a call at 2:30am Novmber 17th '04, my best friends dad called and told me that my friend brannon was dead from a street racing accident and rolled his '04 Mach 1. After that I quit street racing for good.

Moral of my life - Take it to the track.

Make sure you know what you're getting yourself into before you buy an LS1 for your first car, please.. I don't want to see another one of these "One of our board members died in a street racing accident" threads again.